REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 05-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Traveling to Taiwan&Japan, things to do?

Will be travelling to taipei, Taiwan with a buddy this summer for just over 3 weeks, is there anything we should watch out for as a "foreigner"? Can locals there use english or do they just speak chinese?

also,
i will be traveling to japan this summer. it will be a short trip only 2 weeks long can anyone recommend specific must see/do things? Specifically in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka.

Any input would be appreciated the only things we have planned so far are the plane tickets.
Advertisement
kuruuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Any particular thing that really interest you? clubbing is a must in TW

For island-wide trip, I'd suggest hitting up east coast, and Kenting, then travel to Tainan for the most amazing street vendor food you will ever find...
Old 05-31-2010, 02:41 AM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

for japan, try not to go into shady bars, especially when you see black cars parked outside..

1) if you dont speak japanese, some bars will overcharge your alchy.
2) friend eyed some yakuza's chick and got beat up outside. got his passport and shit stolen. (this is a rare occurence)

other than that, enjoy the cheap 24 drinking in bars!
BlacknJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

for clubbing in TW are the girls there snobby?

generally what's the average cost of clubbing in taiwan/japan?
kuruuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
You'll need somebody with mandarin skills or some kind of chinese the very least. You won't get far with just English. I mean you probably can but it'll take you forever to accomplish any task.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
taking the cab is the most prominent form of transportation in the city for taiwan...and the cab drivers will not be able to comprehend english

best bring a map and just point for the destination.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 8,510 Times in 799 Posts
i went to osaka in may.. go check out the aquarium/zoo if you like animals.. and in namba theres that place dotonbori that has alot of famous restaurants and things to see (like this king crab sign and the glico man sign)

one recommendation is to invest in a translation book because their english is pretty bad so even things such as directions or transit might become a nightmare..

in osaka they have a pass that allows you to ride transit unlimited for (1day/2day) and with it you can get admission to 20+ main attractions around osaka.. (like the zoo.. osaka castle.. and lots of high places with beautiful views)
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote