REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   Difference between a 2006 SV650 and SV650S (https://www.revscene.net/forums/616197-difference-between-2006-sv650-sv650s.html)

Selanne_200 05-31-2010 04:50 PM

Difference between a 2006 SV650 and SV650S

Hey guys,

a noob here looking to get my first bike and I found a SV650S that I like.

Now, i've ridden on a 2008 SV650F and that felt very comfortable as far as power and riding position. I'm not sure what the difference is between that and a 2006 SV650S or even a SV650 for that matter, so if anyone can shed some lights regaring that, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Jermyzy 06-08-2010 09:09 PM

SV650 is naked bike with more upright seating position and higher handlebars. The SV650S is the half-fairing model with clip-on handlebars and higher set rear pegs. The SV650F I'm guessing the the SV650S model with a full lower fairing.

stevo911_ 06-08-2010 09:46 PM

^you nailed it.
The naked is a more comfortable seating position with lower footpegs, and higher bars (and doesnt have the bodywork to mangle when you drop it)

The S has rearsets (footpegs are further back and higher up), clip-ons (the handlebars clamp onto the sides of the forks so they can sit much lower) that lean you forward more into a more aggressive/sportier seating position.

The F is the S model with more bodywork to scratch/break when you drop it (and has since completely replaced the S model)

I dont know how noobish you are but:

If you've never ridden before I strongly suggest taking a riding course (you're an idiot if you dont, especially riding on the mainland)
Spend more money on good gear and less on a new bike than the other way around (heavy work grade jeans will burn though in seconds on asphalt, designer jeans you may as well be naked, and runners are not sufficient for footwear)
As you can probably tell I'm expecting you to drop it, it WILL happen, its just a matter of when (took me 2 years :p)

Selanne_200 06-09-2010 12:03 AM

^^ Thanks for the input guys. I ended up getting a SV650S anyways. I have ridden before but I ended up signing up with PRS anyways, can't say enough good things about them. I should've learned how to ride a bike properly before buying the bike tho because now I'm realizing how much strength it takes my legs to ride that bike around with that seating position.

Jermyzy 06-09-2010 08:05 PM

Congrats on the bike. Excellent choice (but I'm biased :p ). Frame sliders might be a worthwhile investment. I dropped my bike once at a standstill (forgot to put kickstand down!) and frame sliders protected it from any damage to the expensive plastics!

taylor192 06-11-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jermyzy (Post 6985210)
Congrats on the bike. Excellent choice (but I'm biased :p ). Frame sliders might be a worthwhile investment. I dropped my bike once at a standstill (forgot to put kickstand down!) and frame sliders protected it from any damage to the expensive plastics!

x2

I dropped my bike recently Frame slider took almost all the damage.

It was an honest mistake, turned too sharply into a parking lot with a slight curb on the entrance - something any car would've made it over with ease yet too much for the bike, front tire hit on an angle and then followed the curb, and the bike went down.. Hopefully you don't make the same mistake, yet frame sliders sure help if you do.

taylor192 06-11-2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selanne_200 (Post 6983898)
I should've learned how to ride a bike properly before buying the bike tho because now I'm realizing how much strength it takes my legs to ride that bike around with that seating position.

What do you mean? Maybe you need the bike lowered?

stevo911_ 06-14-2010 07:10 PM

^ I would assume due to the rearset height

taylor192 06-15-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo911_ (Post 6991735)
^ I would assume due to the rearset height

The rearsets on the S are only 1" higher and further back than the N...???

stevo911_ 06-15-2010 10:03 PM

Just saying, we'll have to see what Selanne_200 has to say. I noticed a huge difference between the naked and S in my legs, but I also have terrible knees *shrug*

taylor192 06-16-2010 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo911_ (Post 6993529)
Just saying, we'll have to see what Selanne_200 has to say. I noticed a huge difference between the naked and S in my legs, but I also have terrible knees *shrug*

Good to know. :thumbsup:

I have long legs and was thinking of getting the rearset risers which push them back ~1", yet they will be bent more which may be uncomfortable - I have bad knees too.

I wonder if you can put the rearset from a N on a S to move the pegs to be more comfortable. I know others have swapped the clipons for a bar so they have a more upright comfortable riding position.