REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
2011 ford mustang tv commercial

extended version from what is being shown on tv for the new v6 mustang. Song: Band of Skulls - Light of The Morning

Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

31 mpg hwy... whats the real world L/100k?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Witness protection

approximately 7.59L/100km. this is on regular unleaded.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 06-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
honestly

who walks into a dealership looking to buy a pony car where one of the biggest deciding factors is fuel economy?

if you want fuel economy , go buy a prius

besides...the 5.0 is where it's really at
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
^believe me, there are plenty of people who are very aware of fuel economy, even when they are into sportscar.

I don't though, and 5.0 will be the only choice.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #6
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
"custom vehicles. See dealer for ordering details" @ 6 seconds

so after market cars in their commercial? and driving like that wont give you 31mpg.....
like said above 31mpg blah. SHOW US MORE 5L!
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

mpg depends on how you drive. I rented a Corvette back in 2007 in San Francisco and I was getting close to 50mpg on the hwy and getting about 30mpg average. People don't expect that from a 6.2L V8 but go easy on the pedal and it can get better mileage than cars with engines half the size.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
we have the new 2011 5.0 mustangs pushing over 400 hp, and wow do they ever sound awesome not to mention rip
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
Witness protection

having an overdrive 6th gear does wonders on the highway... but knowing how optimistic EPA ratings are, i would think mid to high 20's would be more realistic. still very good for a 300hp+ v6.

as for fuel economy not being a factor when purchasing a pony car... it matters to me. i miss having a RWD car anymore because i couldn't afford the operating costs anymore at the time, and i don't want to be stuck forever in a little FWD vehicle like i am now, and hope to go back someday, so i'll be the first to admit the new v6 mustang appeals to me. there aren't many RWD coupes out there in my price range, without resorting to buying something that is over a decade old.

don't get me wrong... i would love to buy a 5.0, but finances dictate otherwise. and from all the reviews so far about the v6, no one is complaining about 300+hp being lacking.

Last edited by thumper; 06-06-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
having an overdrive 6th gear does wonders on the highway... but knowing how optimistic EPA ratings are, i would think mid to high 20's would be more realistic. still very good for a 300hp+ v6.

as for fuel economy not being a factor when purchasing a pony car... it matters to me. i miss having a RWD car anymore because i couldn't afford the operating costs anymore at the time, and i don't want to be stuck forever in a little FWD vehicle like i am now, and hope to go back someday, so i'll be the first to admit the new v6 mustang appeals to me. there aren't many RWD coupes out there in my price range, without resorting to buying something that is over a decade old.

don't get me wrong... i would love to buy a 5.0, but finances dictate otherwise. and from all the reviews so far about the v6, no one is complaining about 300+hp being lacking.
What will a new 2011 v6 Mustang cost? $28k all said and done? For that price you could have a mint 03+ G35 Coupe, an 01+ e46 M3, a mint 03+ 350Z, a mint S2000, etc. All are more fun to drive and most likely all are faster in the real world.

When it comes to Mustangs, go big or go home, imo... not worth owning in a v6 especially if the v8 can actually get decent gas mileage (apparently it can).
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
Witness protection

the base v6 MSRP IS $26,149, so yes i think your $28k would be in the ballpark. i think fully loaded a v6 would overlap a base model v8 in the mid $35k range? i'm not 100% sure of that... i can't find a fully loaded v6 advertised locally.

as for the choices you listed above, i have plenty of excuses... don't like the interior of the g35, can't afford bmw maintenance, and i can only fit in an s2000 if i pull the seat out and sit on the floor strapped down with a bungee cord (yes, this did happen).

from the reviews i've read so far, those who have tested the 5.0 are not getting more than 15mpg in the city, which is where i do most of my driving. granted this is still on regular unleaded, but that is a bit much for me because my employer doesn't compensate me enough for fuel costs to justify that kind of consumption.

i want something with warranty that i can get financing from the manufacturer. i'm at the point i don't have the time or resources i used to have to deal with out of warranty breakdowns

Last edited by thumper; 06-07-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #12
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo-brickster View Post
honestly

who walks into a dealership looking to buy a pony car where one of the biggest deciding factors is fuel economy?

dont get me wrong, but i would love to have a sports car with good mpg..
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
honestly

very true, gotta sacrifice gas mileage for power

there is no other way around it
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

these cars will be a decent buy in a few years. The v6 mustangs depreciate so much. It will be under 20k and you'll have 300+hp. Personally i'd go for the 5.0 like most people, but for the ford ofcourse have most of their mustang sales with the v6 engines.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

What happened to the Mustang with the 365hp Ecoboost V6? Is that not ready for 2011?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

damn it... where's my ford GT!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #17
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
What happened to the Mustang with the 365hp Ecoboost V6? Is that not ready for 2011?
ford decided it was not cost-effective to put into the mustang, so we ended up with this v6 instead. i guess a turbo mustang was too risky, like the old SVO or the orginal probe gt, which was supposed to have been the replacement for the mustang(!)
Old 06-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
If they did an Ecoboost V6, they'd be killing their market for the V8's.

The 305hp V6 is pretty damn good. It's more powerful than almost all past V8 models (except cobras and Big blocks etc...).

It's the first V6 Mustang that I wouldn't be ashamed to own.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #19

Quote:
the base v6 MSRP IS $26,149, so yes i think your $28k would be in the ballpark. i think fully loaded a v6 would overlap a base model v8 in the mid $35k range? i'm not 100% sure of that... i can't find a fully loaded v6 advertised locally.

as for the choices you listed above, i have plenty of excuses... don't like the interior of the g35, can't afford bmw maintenance, and i can only fit in an s2000 if i pull the seat out and sit on the floor strapped down with a bungee cord (yes, this did happen).

from the reviews i've read so far, those who have tested the 5.0 are not getting more than 15mpg in the city, which is where i do most of my driving. granted this is still on regular unleaded, but that is a bit much for me because my employer doesn't compensate me enough for fuel costs to justify that kind of consumption.

i want something with warranty that i can get financing from the manufacturer. i'm at the point i don't have the time or resources i used to have to deal with out of warranty breakdowns
- City gas mileage of the new 5.0L GT is rated at 17mpg (6spd) or 18mg (auto). 87 Octane. [EPA Ratings, Car & Driver]

- City gas mileage for the v6 'Stang is rated at 19mpg. Also 87 Octane. [EPA Ratings, Car & Driver]

Is 1 or 2 mpg in the city really going to make a huge difference?

1) Regular gas here costs about $1.10/L, which is about about $4/gallon. (Since the fuel numbers are in MPG, I'll use gallons & miles to calculate cost).

2) The tank on both is 16 gallons. [V8 source, V6 source]

3) According to the numbers above, the V6 gets 19mpg. That means it gets 304 miles per tank, assuming 100% city driving.

4) Let's also assume you have an automatic GT Mustang, which gets 18mpg. That means it will get 288 miles per tank (again; city driving only).

5) If you were to drive 1000 miles every month (that's about 19,200 km's every year, which is a standard annual average), the V6 would use 52.6 gallons of gas per month. At the $4/gallon gas costs we calculated, that's a monthly total of $210.

6) If you were to drive that same 1000 miles every month in a V8 Mustang, you'd be using 55.5 gallons of gas per month. Again assuming that fuel is $4/gallon, you'd be spending $222 each month on fuel. That's only $12 more each month for the V8 ($3 per week... 38 cents a day).

7) If you opted for the 6-spd Mustang GT, then your monthly fuel costs (using the numbers above) are still only $25 more than the V6 model. Really this is a very small difference when we're talking about a car that's going to likely end up costing $30k+ regardless of model.

Anyway, that's all hypothetical based on city driving, but I was just trying to illustrate my point: that the V8 really doesn't cost all that much more in gas, so it's hard to justify choosing the V6 based on gas costs alone.

Another posting also brought up another excellent point: depreciation. Well, you mentioned that costs of maintenance and ownership were a concern... so why isn't cost of depreciation? If you're going to buy a new V6 Mustang, you are going to lose at least $5000 the moment you drive off the lot. That's just the painful reality of buying a new car.

On the other hand, if you get a good deal on a used vehicle (particularly private sale), you may be able to drive your car for years before you see it's total value depreciate by $5000. A 2004 BMW M3 may cost you $28,000 to buy today... but in two years it will still likely be worth more than $20,000. In two years - even though you may have spent you'd be lucky to get $15k for a completely base-model V6 Mustang.

Yahoo Autos suggests that a 2011 V6 Mustang with an initial MSRP of $26,000 will depreciate an average of $12,000 over the first two years of ownership. [Source]. (Obviously the longer you own the car the lower the average annual cost of ownership will be... but if you're planning on keeping it long-term you'll end up dealing with maintenance costs anyway, which defeats the initial purpose of buying a new car.....)

There's absolutely no way (short of a freak incident or extremely high mileage) that a comparably priced 2004 M3 will cost you more than $12,000 in maintenance over the next two years. Even when you factor in the cost of depreciation and higher financing rates on a used car, you're still unlikely to surpass $12,000 in the next two years. So, in summary... for the same total costs as a base-model V6 Mustang... you could drive a car that cost $80,000 when new, enjoying its buttery-smooth 333bhp I6, which won "Best Engine" in its category for six straight years. [Source]

And that's for an M3, which can be a very expensive car to own. Run the numbers for a comparably-priced used 350Z, for example, and I'm sure you'll find that it's actually cheaper to own than the new V6 Mustang... at least for the first few years.

Anyway, I've rambled on too long... and, since I know you don't want to deal with unexpected maintenance, I'm not trying to say you'd be making a mistake if you bought the new Mustang. I actually think it's the best Mustang ever, in so many ways. BUT... when you crunch all the numbers, it becomes harder to justify.

Last edited by Amaru; 06-07-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
4) Let's also assume you have an automatic GT Mustang, which gets 18mpg. That means it will get 288 miles per tank (again; city driving only).
My 4.6 is lucky if it can break 250 city on 94 octane
Old 06-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #21

Quote:
the Ford sales guys are going to jump down my throat and totally flame me, but uh...Ford + reliability do not go together. I don't care what you say, i don't care what Ford you drive.

They will sell you a car, and when something goes wrong, they give you the finger and you have to fight with headquarters for anything. The dealership will not help you out. Case in point, my car has had $16k worth of warranty work on it. $16,000. If this was the US and we had the lemon law, i would have gotten a new Ford twice over.

Since the 2011 are brand new, wait a year and see what problems come up. Then buy a 2012 when there have been some TSB's issued to fix the various problems that will inevitably arise.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #22

Quote:
My 4.6 is lucky if it can break 250 city on 94 octane
Yes, the new one is supposed to be leaps and bounds better when it comes to fuel economy. [Source]

Quote:
Not only do you get 412 horsepower and 390 foot-pounds of torque with your brand spanking new Mustang GT, with the previously reported 5.0-liter V8, you get decent fuel mileage to go with it! Ford has announced that the Environmental Protection Agency rated its 2011 Mustang GT at 17 MPG City and 26 MPG Highway, when equipped with the manual transmission. Automatic transmission-equipped cars get 18/25, City/Highway.

Those are big numbers when you remember the aforementioned horsepower the new engine puts out. The outgoing GT only got 16/24 City/Highway for the manual, and 15/23 for the automatic, so the new engine gets way more power and much improved gas mileage.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #23
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
MEH.................

It's only another mustang.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #24
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
I'll wait for the new limited edition 350 hp Ford Focus RS for 2011.

...and waiting...and waiting...and waiting.....

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #25
Witness protection

Quote:
the Ford sales guys are going to jump down my throat and totally flame me, but uh...Ford + reliability do not go together. I don't care what you say, i don't care what Ford you drive.

They will sell you a car, and when something goes wrong, they give you the finger and you have to fight with headquarters for anything. The dealership will not help you out. Case in point, my car has had $16k worth of warranty work on it. $16,000. If this was the US and we had the lemon law, i would have gotten a new Ford twice over.

Since the 2011 are brand new, wait a year and see what problems come up. Then buy a 2012 when there have been some TSB's issued to fix the various problems that will inevitably arise.
my term will be up with my current vehicle in 2012 so what you said about waiting is what i hope to do... hope most of everything will be resolved by then.

i know someone who has a 2010 gt and after 14k kms he's had no problems... knock on wood. whereas with me, i've seen the back of a tow truck at least three times with that same mileage with my vw