REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

speeding tickets: disputable?

I have a court date in 2 weeks for a minor speeding ticket (in municipality).

I was driving down the road and the cop I guess followed me for about half a block and pulled me over, stated that I was over the limit.

(I'm actually not too sure becuase I wasn't paying attention but I was following flow of traffic)

Now in these circumstances, and if I wasn't, can the officer just tell the judge he "estimated" my speed? Or does it get thrown out? I've heard so many conflicting stories.

I'm not extremely worried about it, but am curious, given that I don't think I was speeding at all. i am however concerned that the cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket just because my car att he time was modded slightly, and that his speed reading wasn't not of my vehicle, but someone else in traffic (there were vehicle passing me at the time just before the pullover"

Any thoughts?
Advertisement
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

There is a pretty strong chance that you were speeding, as "the flow of traffic" tends to be 10-20km/hr over the posted speed limit.

His evidence will likely be the speed at which he paced your vehicle, thereby determining your speed. If he was pacing someone else, he would have pulled them over, not you.

The fact that you don't know how fast you were going will be the biggest proverbial nail-in-the-coffin.

I pulled over a lady who was driving 83km/hr in a 50km/hr zone, right past a big, bright, flashing display showing a) the speed limit, and b) her speed (southbound No 5 Rd in Richmond for those of you that know it). She said that she wasn't aware of the speed she was driving, and was surprised to find out she was driving that fast. It is very common for people to just drive with the flow of traffic and not think about how fast they're driving.

No JJP will accept "well, I was following the flow of traffic" as a valid defence.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Damn, I want to Fail the OP so badly.

Why are you wasting the court's time? I can guarantee you right now, unless the cop doesn't show up, you WILL be found guilty.

The cop will step up and describe how he paced you at some amount over the speed limit, and probably back it up with a precise description of where you were, how long he paced you for, what the weather was like, how recently his car's speedometer was calibrated, and all sorts of other information to prove that he was PAYING ATTENTION to everything that was going on.

You'll step up and have nothing but, "I didn't THINK I was speeding."

The JJP will give you a look like he wants to punch you in the face before deeming you guilty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
The JJP will give you a look like he wants to punch you in the face before deeming you guilty.

To the OP: If you are planning on disputing it.. please let us know where and when, so we can come watch this
Old 06-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Just man up and pay the ticket. Stop wasting the court's time
Old 06-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
I pulled over a lady who was driving 83km/hr in a 50km/hr zone, right past a big, bright, flashing display showing a) the speed limit, and b) her speed (southbound No 5 Rd in Richmond for those of you that know it). She said that she wasn't aware of the speed she was driving, and was surprised to find out she was driving that fast. It is very common for people to just drive with the flow of traffic and not think about how fast they're driving.

No JJP will accept "well, I was following the flow of traffic" as a valid defence.
that flashing display speed limit doesn't work most of the time. It has never worked for me, and I drive past that thing every other day.
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:32 AM   #7

well, before you judge that i'm just going to try and get off on it, Soundy,
I'm not. I'm not one of those 18 year olds in a rice rocket just barelling down every street i go on. I'm actually a pretty obediant and slow-paced driver, unless it's on the track.

I AM going there to ask for a reduction and time to pay for the ticket, and nothing more.
On the flip side, I thought I'd ask for information, for my own curiosity. If you're not offering it, then don't bother posting on here. This isn't Fight Club.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:35 AM   #8

I do thank Sho_BC for the info though.

I HAVE been pulled over before by police when I KNEW I wasn't speeding (I was driving 45K on Steveston Hwy at 2 in the morning, 2 blocks from my place), and had the officer THREATEN to take my license away (had no record at the time). She went as far as to threaten to "take you and your kind" out before we went to court. So since then, my perception of law inforcement has been permanently tainted.

I've never really had anything bad on my record before, so I've never really had to look any of this stuff up.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
I AM going there to ask for a reduction and time to pay for the ticket, and nothing more.
That's not what your Subject says....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
I pulled over a lady who was driving 83km/hr in a 50km/hr zone, right past a big, bright, flashing display showing a) the speed limit, and b) her speed (southbound No 5 Rd in Richmond for those of you that know it).
That thing doesn't seem to catch your speed if you're in the outer lane.

Is it just me or does that thing seem like it's taunting you, everytime as soon as I see the sign I just get the sudden urge to want to go as fast as I can to see what I can hit... but never had the balls to...
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #11
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
I see so many people slam on their brakes because of those things -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
That's not what your Subject says....
I know...=p it wasn't what I meant but I couldn't come up with a better word T__T
Old 06-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
cops are being pretty anal lately eh? i got pulled over for having a license plate that was blocking the BAR CODE on the insurance sticker.

when i went to the station to get a cop to check it out, even the cop thought i was a stupid ticket and said "he actually gave you a VI for this?!"
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #14

They are really anal lately.

I've been pulled over thrice in the last 3 months for "tinted windows" (I have it on my back window only). They always ask me to roll up the window until the 3rd time I went off on the officer, telling him "well, if my passenger window's not tinted, what the hell do you think I'd be doing, tinting the driver's side?!"

I have a friend who drive's a civic EK hatch, nothing fancy. He's got a muffler (but always slienced), some 17" rims, and that's about it. He's one of the safest, most docile driver I know. He's only had 1 ticket, about 1.5-2 years ago, for speeding in municipality. (I saw it before, it was going 10km over limit on the highway). He never disputed, just manned up and paid it.

A month ago, he was pulled over right after getting off of Knight Bridge on the richmond side. He was pulled over, given a CLASS 1 VI, AND had his license suspended for a month (cop said he's a danger on the road). The reason was that his muffler was a danger to pedistrians due to sticking out (it was recessed 2.5" behind the edge of the bumper).

I didn't even know what to say about that.....It was pretty horrible.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #15

my case notwithstanding, I noticed a LOT of police abusing their power with drivers lately. I'm really sick of it. I can understand if a car's super duper low, with tow hooks, running 120db mufflers, driving like maniacs. But for just regular cars with little or no mods that actually will pass VI (or shouldn't even be VI), it's pretty overkill.

They should start pulling over the kids in the high powered cars, ripping around the lower mainland all the time. I get into "almost" accidents at last twice a day because someone sped, cut me off, and slam brakes, etc. Just a bunch of idiots on the road.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
She went as far as to threaten to "take you and your kind" out before we went to court. So since then, my perception of law inforcement has been permanently tainted.
If one officer's remarks permanantly taints you with a negative view, isn't that the same as her having a negative view of "your kind" after an encounter with only one of you?

Lol...
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #17
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
I have a friend who drive's a civic EK hatch, nothing fancy. He's got a muffler (but always slienced), some 17" rims, and that's about it. He's one of the safest, most docile driver I know. He's only had 1 ticket, about 1.5-2 years ago, for speeding in municipality. (I saw it before, it was going 10km over limit on the highway). He never disputed, just manned up and paid it.

A month ago, he was pulled over right after getting off of Knight Bridge on the richmond side. He was pulled over, given a CLASS 1 VI, AND had his license suspended for a month (cop said he's a danger on the road). The reason was that his muffler was a danger to pedistrians due to sticking out (it was recessed 2.5" behind the edge of the bumper).

I didn't even know what to say about that.....It was pretty horrible.
And.... your friend altered some major parts out on that story. We aren't able to arbitrarily suspend licences roadside unless its a 12/24hr suspension or the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles puts a notation on the driver's file to have the driver served a Licence Suspension or Driving Prohibition.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #18
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
what if the OP was from out of town, can you conference call in to dispute? My buddy was told from the judge, why don't you have the hearing at your town instead of driving all the way out here....

anyone heard of this before?
sorry to thread jack
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote