REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

does anyone have any info on X-kote (paint renewal system)?

Hey,
I was just wondering if anyone had any reviews on X-kote paint renewal system? know anyone that has done it to their cars? is it worth doing?
Advertisement
PsychoStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
lasts for ~ 6 months car looks great, but if you do it too much it will ruin your paint.

if youre paying $500, not really worth it IMO, we send nearly half are cars from work there before we put them on the lot, they look good for a couple months while on sale so it works for us.
Jgresch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

i was thinking of goign to this place too! so is it really worth the $300-$500?
j0nnyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

dude.. you came to the right place at the right time.

I just used Diamond-kote paint restorer today on my car.

hold on for pics.
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nnyblaze View Post
i was thinking of goign to this place too! so is it really worth the $300-$500?
$300-$500 is a rip off big time.

this stuff you could do it yourself easily.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
lasts for ~ 6 months car looks great
correct me if i'm wrong but for $500 you can buy a decent Electric Polisher + compounds and pads to last you for 10 years.

6 months? .....

Last edited by lgman; 06-15-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: ....
lgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

I think I got this bottle somewhere between $20-$30 ????. I don't remember, it was 3 years ago.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgman View Post
correct me if i'm wrong but for $500 you can buy a decent Electric Polisher + compounds and pads to last you for 10 years.

6 months? .....
like I said its not worth $500 retail, we don't even pay half that otherwise its not worth it.

It does fill deeper gashes though that polishing would.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Although I had this bottle for ~3 years, today was my first day using it.

It's much easier to apply and buff than wax/sealant. IMO

The result was clean looking paint. It also did a wonderful job of removing tiny specs of dirt/tar (??) that were stuck to the door panels.

The paint felt slippery, but it was a different slippery feeling than what you would get from wax/sealant. It felt like the paint was clean and healthy.

After I applied a layer of sealant and a layer of wax on a portion of the car, then you could definitely feel a layer of protection.

I say, it's an optional thing to do.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #10

I've used diamond kote. It works great
Old 06-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

btw.

diamond kote claybar sucks!!!! x9999 !!!
Old 06-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

point is , if you have a car bad enough to need it , 300 bucks could very well be worth it , I have seen it and it does really work , as far as how long it lasts , I do not know.
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
for $300 bucks ur spending on a product that fills the scratches and gaps for 6 months?
OR
u can spend that $300 on a professional detail that will machine polish out the scratches and gaps and have it last forever(if ur careful when washing ur car). but then it comes down to what kind of polish the detailer uses, the ones that fills gaps, or the ones that actually polishes out the scratches and gaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
for $300 bucks ur spending on a product that fills the scratches and gaps for 6 months?
OR
u can spend that $300 on a professional detail that will machine polish out the scratches and gaps and have it last forever(if ur careful when washing ur car). but then it comes down to what kind of polish the detailer uses, the ones that fills gaps, or the ones that actually polishes out the scratches and gaps.
this guy knows what its all about, but most people dont wanna put time and energy into things, so its hard to convince them to do it themselves.

theres plenty of glaze fillers out there. dont let diamondkote convince you otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
RS Lurker, I don't post!

X-Kote Opinion From An Installer

Here are the steps completed when properly applying X-Kote;

-Hand Wash Vehicle
-Complete Clay Bar treatment to the entire vehicle to ensure a smooth un-contaminated finish
-Wet sand and cut polish entire vehicle to remove all heavy scratches.
-Complete de-greasing and chemical stripping with special solvents that gas off instantly leaving no petroleum residue behind.
-Chamois dry and high pressure air dry to ensure no moisture is left on the vehicle
-Mask entire car to ensure X-Kote does not get on anything it shouldn't
-Apply X-Kote and let cure over night
-Following morning polish a second time and apply a hand wax

X-Kote is a permanent coating that is applied to your vehicles finish after it has been properly prepped. X-Kote bonds to your existing clear coat and becomes one with it.

X-Kote will scratch and swirl just like any factory or aftermarket paint. To that end if you take good care of your vehicle it will continue to look fantastic for years to come where wax will wear off within months and need to be re applied no matter what you do or what product you use. If you wash your vehicle in an automatic car wash or use a brush to clean it once a week it will be full of swirls and marks in a very sort time and this would be the case with a brand new factory paint job. In nearly 10 years of using X-Kote I have never seen a vehicle where X-kote has only lasted 6 months. 95% of our customers cannot believe the amazing results and wish they had done it sooner.
Please note that most dealerships pay a young kid to wash their lot vehicles once a week with a brush and a very dirty bucket of water.

Unlike cut polishing which wears down your vehicles finish, X-Kote actually makes it thicker and in some cases stronger. Once X-Kote is applied and cured a vehicle can be waxed, polished or re X-kote'd in the future just as if it had been the original finish.

Anyone who states that X-Kote can be easily applied by anyone, has never tried themselves, is lying or they have amazing talent and we would like their resume. Our technicians train for months before they can apply X-Kote with the desired result. As with many things a product is only as good as it's installation.

Properly polishing and waxing a vehicle takes at least 4 hours and any reputable shop will charge at least $250 for this. With 20 years in the detailing business I have never seen a wax that can last more than a few months and I have always struggled with this as customers often feel disappointing because of this. If you are willing to wax and polish your vehicle every couple of months there is no cheaper alternative, unless of course you are paying a detail shop to do it. I have to pay my guys to polish my vehicle and I would not waste their time and my money on just a polish alone. All my vehicle are X-Koted and I cannot say enough about it.

X-Kote paint restoration and scratch repair is an amazing product. But aware of knock off products or companies without experience as they can produce un-desirable results and I am speaking from experience.

If you would like to see our before and after pictures go here; X-Kote Before and After

More High Res Here On Face Book; https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=3bc3da99ca

To read in depth on our X-Kote Page, go here; Auto Paint Surrey | X-Kote Paint Renewal System | Splashes

Last edited by Splashes.ca; 07-17-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Splashes.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
on the topic of paint restoration...I've got faded paint and I've recently been using a polishing pad+meguiars Ultimate Compound. For me, I personally do not see any change in the shade of the paint bit it feels glossy after polishing. Any ideas on restoring my paint to its original hue?
Posted via RS Mobile
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #17
Need to Seek Professional Help

^what color is your car and what year is the car?

Also, x kote looks like shit, i would only consider using it on a old beater.

Once xkote gets applied, you can see brush strokes/wiping marks on the areas it was applied to.
Suprarz666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

My close friend discovered X-kote a few years back and currently he's the only licensed shop/distributor for X-kote in China. This is what he told me, it's a permanent clear coat solution just like clear coat from a body shop, the difference is that the formula allows for hand application of a clear coat instead of the need to spray, saving time, equipment, hassle, and money. That being said, the finished results depends HEAVILY on technique and the installer. If the shop knows what they're doing, the result will be great like getting a new layer of clear coat sprayed from the body shop at a fraction of the cost. If the shop isn't good at the application technique, it'll look like shit. Once applied, it'll last as long as normal clear coat, it's not a wax, or paint protectant like others say, it's an actual clear coat, it's a permanent fix to damaged oem paint. It's good for fixing deeply scratched paint or to add to clear coats that's been cut and polished too much. The product is very much worth the $500, but only if done right at a well trained installer. 2 months after my friend introduced X-kote to the Chinese market, he's been approached by VW China wanting to buy the rights to the product for China, he refused their offer because he knew the product is good, but if not done right, it'll look horrible and ruin the reputation of the product.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprarz666 View Post
^what color is your car and what year is the car?

Also, x kote looks like shit, i would only consider using it on a old beater.

Once xkote gets applied, you can see brush strokes/wiping marks on the areas it was applied to.
It's a red 97 prelude. A lot of red cars gave faded paint
Posted via RS Mobile
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
Need to Seek Professional Help

It is most likely old single stage paint that is oxidizing. Chances are it's already bad enough that polishing can't fix it. New paint is most likely needed.
Suprarz666 is online now   Reply With Quote