REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Hors d'oeuvres (https://www.revscene.net/forums/617500-hors-doeuvres.html)

Brianrietta 06-15-2010 12:20 AM

Hors d'oeuvres

1 Attachment(s)
Lately it seems like I've been doing a lot more casual entertaining and dining at home and I was wondering what ideas people have for FAIRLY QUICK, EASY TO MAKE hors d'oeuvres or ideas for specific fruit/cheese/etc arrangements that I play around with.

The most recent one I've served was for a going away party for my token Jewish friend (not a very good Jew as the theme he picked for the food was everything bacon)...

Bacon wrapped pineapple ended up being my choice - and it turned out AWESOME. Simply cut up the bacon to wrappable sizes, cook it 1/2 or 2/3 of the way in the pan, wrap it around chunks of pineapple (I dipped the pineapple in maple syrup right before I wrapped them too) and finish it off in the oven on a broiling pan.

Anyways, what other ideas can I get from RS?

red_2 06-15-2010 12:55 AM

That sounds and looks delicious !!!

Bonka 06-15-2010 01:06 AM

I found that sliced portabello mushrooms fried up in a pan or griddle to be a big hit and easy to make. Olive oil, butter, coarse salt and pepper.

Sliced baguette/crostini is versatile since you can throw pretty much anything on it. Flank steak, shrimp, dungeness crab, mushrooms, warmed brie/camembert, roasted figs, deli meats, etc.

Hehe 06-15-2010 01:27 AM

I'd add a slice of sth that's green presentation-wise... just make the color better...

Mugen EvOlutioN 06-15-2010 07:18 AM

^

asparagus!!!

unit 06-15-2010 09:16 AM

try bruschetta, or smoked salmon on crackers with cream cheese and chives

aznrsx1979 06-15-2010 11:56 AM

Whenever I've had family gatherings, i've always helped my parents make zucchini wrapped with bacon and satay (usually chicken and beef). I've also had a dry smoked salmon mixed with some mayo to make a spread on bread or crackers.

Alar 06-15-2010 05:32 PM

Roasted mushrooms stuffed with crab, cream cheese, green onion, and lemon zest.

Real easy to make and broil them in garlic butter.

bd0n 06-15-2010 06:36 PM

deep fried mac and cheese balls (huge hit and super easy to make) with a spicy tomato sauce
parm cheese crackers with poached pears
watermelon with cream cheese
cucumber cream cheese tea sandwiches
mini burgers are also a huge hit (or sliders)
bruchetta as allways
and sushi, allways a crowd pleaser
and a tuna tar tar with creme fraiche and dill (easier then it sounds lol)
any combination of small and balance (salty to sweet, heavy to light) will allways work.

hal0g0dv2 06-15-2010 07:20 PM

dam that looks good

hotong 06-15-2010 07:41 PM

yumy

scottsman 06-15-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

deep fried mac and cheese balls (huge hit and super easy to make) with a spicy tomato sauce
parm cheese crackers with poached pears
watermelon with cream cheese
cucumber cream cheese tea sandwiches
mini burgers are also a huge hit (or sliders)
bruchetta as allways
and sushi, allways a crowd pleaser
and a tuna tar tar with creme fraiche and dill (easier then it sounds lol)
any combination of small and balance (salty to sweet, heavy to light) will allways work.
Cream Cheese and Watermelon sounds interesting. How does it compare with Watermelon and Buffalo mozzarella?

CP.AR 06-15-2010 11:01 PM

mmmmm baaacccoonnn

hamsup 06-16-2010 10:12 AM

isn't it normally feta and watermelon ??? i've never had it with cream cheese nor mozzarella before....... isnt both cheeses a bit too bland to stand up to the watermelon ??

prosciutto and melon is always a favourite =)

buddy 06-16-2010 12:38 PM

or simple substitute pineapples with scallops for a fancier choice, just one extra step to season then panfry the scallops before wrapping ...

Mugen EvOlutioN 06-16-2010 01:05 PM

^

costs a lot more lol

fresh large scallop is $$$$ baby
:thumbsup: