REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Neighborhood speed watch's (https://www.revscene.net/forums/617540-neighborhood-speed-watchs.html)

Glove 06-15-2010 02:45 PM

Neighborhood speed watch's

So you know how sometimes they have those big signs with your speed? and then a speed watch van beside it.

I usually gun it past those vans to screw with those old guys and their clip boards.

But the other day I got a letter in the mail saying I was going 55 in a 30 zone, and that this is only a warning.

Well anyway, the question is, can you actually get a ticket from those people?

I mean not directly, but can they record your plate then get the police department to mail you a ticket?

or does it hafto be served to you in person by an officer?

Would that be disputable? I would think that a cop would hafto catch you speeding and serve you the ticket so you cant deny it, but hell I could be wrong.

any info?

Five-Oh 06-15-2010 07:06 PM

Why would you speed by them? What purpose does that serve other than make you look like a goof?

To answer your question, they can not give you a ticket, only a police officer can. There is a good chance a file may be created detailing your vehicle and what you did which could be taken into consideration if you have future encounters with police. Good luck getting a warning in the future.

jpark 06-15-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jufes (Post 6992897)
So you know how sometimes they have those big signs with your speed? and then a speed watch van beside it.

I usually gun it past those vans to screw with those old guys and their clip boards.

But the other day I got a letter in the mail saying I was going 55 in a 30 zone, and that this is only a warning.

I mean not directly, but can they record your plate then get the police department to mail you a ticket?

Would that be disputable? I would think that a cop would hafto catch you speeding and serve you the ticket so you cant deny it, but hell I could be wrong.

any info?

wat the hells your problem

skidmark 06-15-2010 08:48 PM

Yes, it is possible to get a ticket from this situation, just as it is possible to get a ticket from any other civilian initiated traffic complaint investigated by the police.

Yes, the ticket is disputable, just as you may also be convicted in the right circumstances.

Give some thoughts to the 3 Strikes program, where police do speeding enforcement just down the block from the old guys with clipboards and their equipment. I used to like to reduce my tolerance when I did this because you already had a warning.

ray666 06-15-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6993404)
Yes, it is possible to get a ticket from this situation, just as it is possible to get a ticket from any other civilian initiated traffic complaint investigated by the police.

Yes, the ticket is disputable, just as you may also be convicted in the right circumstances.

Give some thoughts to the 3 Strikes program, where police do speeding enforcement just down the block from the old guys with clipboards and their equipment. I used to like to reduce my tolerance when I did this because you already had a warning.

This is true. I volunteer at my local community policing centre. Sometimes when we do speed watch, we will have actual RCMP members a few hundred yards behind us with their own radar guns. It's pretty funny when we see teenager/douchebags speed through them trying to impress their friends in the car. The looks on their faces when they get pulled over are priceless. :D

In all seriousness though, you guys (Jufes) should really reconsider speeding through these speed watch programs. (Or speeding at all). Volunteers set up there because there is a complaint by concerned community members about people speeding through those areas. Usually this is in playgrounds and schools where little kids are around. Just something to think about when you think about speeding through these speed watches again.

LiquidTurbo 06-15-2010 10:41 PM

Damn, can't fail the OP.

Anyway, what's been said has been said. They're there for a reason. Just be thankful you learned your lesson the easy way, with a warning.

jlenko 06-15-2010 10:56 PM

Any idea how we request such a program to take place in our neighborhood? We have a school zone followed by a playground zone... people still go 60+ through both in broad daylight.

I'd be willing to volunteer to run it, if that's possible. Burnaby, if it makes a difference.

eFx[A2C] 06-15-2010 11:12 PM

Contact the local community policing office.

seekerbeta 06-16-2010 05:19 AM

Every Area has a Community Policing Office that has a Speedwatch and Usually a Citizens on Patrol,

http://bc.rcmp.ca/ViewPage.action?si...ontentId=11452

There is a list of them

Usually all it takes is a phone call to the Office, or a Quick drop by to file a report, the other useful service they do provide, is if you are going out of town, and dont have anyone to look at your place while you are gone, they can drop by a couple of times at night, and just give the place a once over from the street, which means they check for theft happening, sometimes it can make people feel alot better knowing someone with a "Hotline" to the police is coming around

zulutango 06-16-2010 06:35 AM

We used to run "2 strikes and you're out" programmes at least a couple of times a year. Have Speedwatch with the board and then sit downstream with our own radar or laser. Speedwatch would give us a heads-up for the high flyers and we would wait until they came into our own laser/rader. Like Skidmark said, the speeds at which we issued VTs was much lower than normal. Was fun to hear a couple of those caught try to explain to the JP how they were not speeding and how they didn't know the speed limit.

seekerbeta 06-16-2010 07:11 AM

we used to take a member of the rcmp (either Full or Auxillary) and the real high flyers would get a real ticket issued to them, with us now, we writr everything down, and after 3 strikes (or 40 plus over) a real ticket could be issued
Posted via RS Mobile

Mugen EvOlutioN 06-16-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

any info?

i think u got some issues dude, u deserve a massive fail

Dragon-88 06-16-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

any info?

Seriously man you need to re-read what you said and grow up a lot!

l2_narain 06-18-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

any info?

You do understand those volunteers are taking stats for ICBC/Police/City figuring out where the hotspots are for speeding. If your blowing 80kph past them, expect to get a ticket (or some speed bumps) sooner or later on your local favorite route...

Anyone want an example? Look at 3000-3300 Vanness Ave. They placed 30 kph all along there but people still do 60kph....what would be more effective for watching your speed: bunch of guys and gals with clipboard and a reader board showing your speed or some guy in a green vest handing you a ticket?

Op just doesn't understand the break he got.. Do I really have to share the road with you?

Greenstoner 06-21-2010 10:50 AM

no fail for the OP yet ? im shocked

CRS 06-21-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenstoner (Post 6999934)
no fail for the OP yet ? im shocked

Can't fail or thank in the police forum.

sulos 07-02-2010 11:56 AM

If anyone knows kingcrest park by knight and kingsway they have found the solution to this. The speedbumps there are so big that if you go over them at 40+ your seat ejects you into the roof. Not to mention you just screwed your car.
Posted via RS Mobile