REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Great Driving Road For Day Trip (updated w/ pics)

I figured I would post this here since many Vancouverites might be looking for a day trip this summer... and I think this particular route would make an excellent day trip.

The road in question is the new "Pacific Marine Circle Route", and it's on southern Vancouver Island. I drove it for the first time last week, and loved it so much that I felt compelled to recommend it to others.

For those unaware, this route is a "circle" that connects Victoria, Duncan, Cowichan, Port Renfrew, Jordan River, Sooke, and then finishes back in Victoria. (The only "new" portion is the east-west connection from Cowichan/Youbou to Port Renfrew... it was previously unpaved and treacherous.)

Personally, I wanted to ensure minimal traffic, so I left from Victoria around 8pm on Sunday evening. I drove north over the Malahat and directly to the highway 18 junction just north of Duncan. Turn left onto highway 18 (signs will direct you), and you'll be on a long and straight highway headed towards the summer vacation town of Lake Cowichan.

I've driven to Lake Cowichan many times, so this wasn't exciting... although Highway 18 itself can be a very fun road when there's no traffic. It's 4 lanes wide in most sections, it's extremely well paved and maintained, and it contains several long straight stretches. I would never condone "top speed runs" but if one were looking for a place to do so this would be as safe a spot as any. (Interesting unrelated note: BMW's "speed limiter" is underrated by about 15 km/hr.. ).

As with anywhere else, keep your eyes peeled for wildlife. Also, if you drive this road during sunrise/sunset, expect huge amounts of bugs to be plastered on the front of your car and your windshield.

After Cowichan, the road passes through Youbou. It's a tiny little town on the southwest side of the lake. Feels like it could be the setting for a horror movie... After Youbou, follow the signs and turn left onto highway 18 and you'll enter the new stretch of paved highway. It's 52km to Port Renfrew, and the whole drive is fun... but the first 30km of this highway are exceptional.

The paving is not perfect, but the first 30km past Youbou is in great shape since it's new. There are very few dips and bumps in this section. Since both sides of the road has been logged, visibility is excellent in most places, and you can often see up to a km ahead. In some sections you are able to see the road's switchbacks for a mile or two in front of you, which is quite fantastic as it allows you to watch for wildlife and oncoming traffic.

At the time of day I went, there was almost no traffic whatsoever. Even on a sunny Saturday you probably wouldn't see too many cars, although the route is popular with motorcyclists. I encountered six vehicles over the entire 52km route: four were oncoming, and I passed two.

The lack of traffic and wide open views allow you to take a "racing line" in most areas. This makes the switchbacks, hairpins, and sweeping turns an absolute blast to drive. Of course, keep an eye out for loose gravel, wildlife, and dips in the road... but for the most part it is a relatively safe higher-speed route. (I only encountered a few dodgy areas, mostly thanks to some scattered gravel in a heavy braking zone.)

A word of warning: obey the signs that say an upcoming turn should be taken at "30km/hr" or less. Obviously you can go faster than that, but in many cases you can't safely go much faster than the posted speed. Signage overall is excellent for the entire route, with all sharp turns marked in obvious fashion. The only unmarked road hazards are dips in the pavement, but they shouldn't present a real danger unless you're traveling very fast.

As you approach Port Renfrew - for the last 15-20km of Highway 18 - the scenery on the sides of the road turns from clear-cut logging ground and thin underbrush to thick and heavily wooded old-growth forest. The road quality decreases in this section, partly thanks to decreased visibility ahead, although it's still a lot of fun. I thoroughly enjoyed this section although it wasn't as heart-pounding as the first 30km.

The entire route is two-lanes except for a few wooden bridges and a few sharp hairpin turns, where westbound traffic must yield to oncoming vehicles. I never had to yield as there were never any oncoming cars, although I always gave my horn a few taps before approaching the corner.

Once you reach Port Renfrew, you may want to stop at Botanical Beach. It is a fantastic west-coast experience, where you can see a boatload of marine life in the tidal pools.

To continue driving the route, follow the signs that tell you to turn left towards Sooke/Victoria. This portion of the drive is windy and bumpy, but it's also the most beautiful. It is non-stop switchbacks and elevation changes, and in most places it skirts the shoreline.

You'll drive along this bumpy but fun route for quite a while before you reach anything resembling civilization. Worthwhile stops include Sombrio Beach and China Beach. Surfers may also want to stop at Jordan River. There's plenty of wildlife to be seen in this stretch - I almost hit a black bear when I drove it last week. Ironically, that bear was the only wildlife I saw on the entire route (not a single deer until I was back in Victoria...).

Eventually, you'll reach Sooke, where the road becomes much busier... although it's still windy and a lot of fun to drive, skirting the shoreline and providing breathtaking scenery.

The entire route, according to Google Maps, takes about 5 hours. I did it in about 3.5 hours, but I only stopped once for a few minutes, and I experienced very little traffic. Of course I never broke any speed limits... but if a person were to drive cautiously or encounter traffic, I could see it taking up to 6 hours. As such you would need to come over from Vancouver on an early ferry (9am latest) and plan to return late in the evening.

Final thoughts:

- This road should NOT be driven by any vehicles that are lowered significantly or have very stiff aftermarket suspension setups. My car (BMW 330ci) is lowered about an inch, and I never bottomed out at all - but there are bumpy sections and dips in the pavement that could really hurt a very low vehicle.

- Fill up with gas before starting this route. It's about 240km long, and there are 50km+ stretches without any service at all.

- There is not likely to be speed enforcement on the long stretches between Cowichan and Port Renfrew and Sooke to Port Renfrew... but the other stretches are main highways that are often patrolled by police. Beware.

----------

pic update..

Drove this road again yesterday. This time I was smart enough to bring my camera, and I took quite a few pics. Nothing too spectacular but they give you a general idea of the scenery/destinations on the route.

As for the road itself... pics speak for the themselves. It's a good road to get the most out of your car, if you enjoy doing so. I didn't drive particularly quickly yesterday, as there was a bit more traffic than the first time, but I still enjoyed it while driving more casually.

Interestingly, driving this route twice has really exposed how bad my brakes are when they get very hot. In my experience there aren't many roads that allow you to heat up the brakes enough to see how much they fade (not without driving very dangerously, anyway).

Right, so a couple shots of the road...

As I mentioned previously, the road is mostly open for the first half of the Cowichan-Port Renfrew stretch thanks to clear-cutting on either side. The more heavily-forested sections of the road, closer to Port Renfrew, are not as much fun due to dips in the road in a few sections. Can get irritating but there's still plenty of good sections.

There is a pull-off about half-way through that stretch, where a fucking HUGE tree is chilling beside the river. When my girlfriend and I stopped there yesterday there were a few German tourists with a measuring tape arguing about whether the tree trunk was 5 meters in diameter or 6 meters. They clearly resolved their dispute because they shook hands and left. (Didn't take a pic unfortunately.)

When you get the Port Renfrew there's a big delta/bog area which provides some pretty cool views. Saw two elk in a swampy area and two herons perched on a log.

When you get to Port Renfrew, you turn right and drive through the "town" to access Botanical Beach. It's a provincial park and there's a 1.5km trail to the beach/bay area. Didn't take too long to walk down, and it's worth doing imo. You're basically walking through a rainforest, so there's some cool shit to see.

We didn't see much sea life in the tidal pools aside from some crabs and snails, but I think we would've seen starfish and what not. Still a pretty sweet beach though, very rugged west-coast feeling.

I basically put my camera away once we left Botanical Beach, mostly because it was after 9pm and beginning to get dark. Nonetheless we saw some decent views the drive between Port Renfrew and Sooke. This section of road is amazing in its own right, aside from the stretches closest to Port Renfrew with a fair few potholes & dips in the pavement. There's a few ridiculously treacherous hairpins and over one-way bridges, so you wouldn't want to get overconfident as a bit of loose gravel could put you into the concrete barrier. There's one 20km/hr downhill hairpin that I actually took at 20km/hr.

Past Jordan River the road becomes more flat and wide open, but there are still some cliff-side twisties and slower corners to keep you awake.

One thing I've found annoying both times I drove this road is the lack of cell phone reception. Phone is useless from Cowichan to Sooke, which could be 3+ hours. Not too concerned about being inaccessible, but it can be discomforting when you drive a BMW known for exploding expansion tanks.

Regardless, still a drive very much worth doing if you've got a spare day.

--------
Advertisement

Last edited by Amaru; 06-24-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Looks awesome, some beautiful scenary. Thanks!
LG Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Pssst....

http://www.revscene.net/forums/best-...e-t462778.html

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I didn't even read the entire thing but I can tell you put lots of effort into it. Judging by the pics it looks pretty sweet.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG335i View Post
Looks awesome, some beautiful scenary. Thanks!
Thanks - I take no credit for the pics, I just found them on Google Images.

I'm going to go back and drive the road again in the next week or two, so this time I'll take my camera & tripod and try to get some good photos of the road itself, especially the really awesome sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Thanks. I probably should've posted this in that thread, but I figured since my post was pretty in-depth I might as well make a new thread. Hope that's cool with the mods.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
The section between Jordan River and port Renfrew is pretty rough and needs some road work, but the section between Renfrew and Lake Cowichan is pretty nice. I had more fun doing this road in my truck because I could peel off and explore the logging roads up the mountains.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
Thanks. I probably should've posted this in that thread, but I figured since my post was pretty in-depth I might as well make a new thread. Hope that's cool with the mods.
Great post, thanks! Doubt I'll get to do this route anytime soon, but it looks like it would be a blast in my Jeep Patriot. I'd love to do a day trip of the Pemberton-Lillooet-Lytton loop sometime, or even the Sasquatch Hwy. loop (up the west side of Harrison Lake to Pemberton), maybe do a similar write-up with pictures (my own, not Google's).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
Banned (BBM)

holly looks amazing

i should plan something like that for a summer cruise
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
The section between Jordan River and port Renfrew is pretty rough and needs some road work, but the section between Renfrew and Lake Cowichan is pretty nice. I had more fun doing this road in my truck because I could peel off and explore the logging roads up the mountains.
Definitely. I think I mentioned in my original post, but if not, I shall re-iterate: the stretch of road between Port Renfrew and Jordan River is full of potholes, bumps, and dips. Even with my car lowered an inch, I was fine... but you wouldn't want to drive this section if you've got a really low vehicle or very stiff suspension. Most vehicles - even those lowered a bit - will be fine, but you may have to go slower than you'd like in a few parts. Still, this section is only about 1/5 of the whole drive... and it's not horrible, so you shouldn't let it discourage you from driving the route.

As to your second point... yes, I noticed that there were a lot of logging roads branching off from the main route. They looked pretty awesome - I'd imagine you could find some great off-roading. I've heard from several people that the area around Cowichan Lake is superb for 4x4'ing, so I bet it'd be a blast to just wander off down some logging roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Great post, thanks! Doubt I'll get to do this route anytime soon, but it looks like it would be a blast in my Jeep Patriot. I'd love to do a day trip of the Pemberton-Lillooet-Lytton loop sometime, or even the Sasquatch Hwy. loop (up the west side of Harrison Lake to Pemberton), maybe do a similar write-up with pictures (my own, not Google's).
I'd be interested in seeing your write-up, as I'm always looking for new quality roads. Anything that's fully paved is worth driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
holly looks amazing

Yeah, it's an easy day trip if you're able to wake up in time to catch an early ferry. Would be a good route for a car club to do a cruise along... add in a stop for lunch somewhere and maybe swim in Cowichan Lake or a walk along China Beach or something.

If you live on the North Shore or in West Van, you could take the ferry to Duke Point (Nanaimo) instead of Schwartz Bay (Victoria)... then return via the Schwartz Bay - Twsawassen (sp?) route. Probably would be slightly faster to go the Duke Point route since the drive won't be as far. Another option is to bypass the Malahat by taking the tiny Mill Bay ferry (on the Victoria side, the ferry dock is north of Vic, about 7 minute drive from the Schwartz Bay terminal).
Old 06-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

we should all do this on June 20th.

hahaha
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

This drive is amazing. I did it last year when the entire route was freshly repaved.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
Definitely. I think I mentioned in my original post, but if not, I shall re-iterate: the stretch of road between Port Renfrew and Jordan River is full of potholes, bumps, and dips. Even with my car lowered an inch, I was fine... but you wouldn't want to drive this section if you've got a really low vehicle or very stiff suspension. Most vehicles - even those lowered a bit - will be fine, but you may have to go slower than you'd like in a few parts. Still, this section is only about 1/5 of the whole drive... and it's not horrible, so you shouldn't let it discourage you from driving the route.
That stretch was twice as bad last year (The first time I drove out to Renfrew), they patched it up significantly this year.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Sweet write up!

Always looking for more island routes to cruise. Especially since the g/f's parents live over there, it makes the trips that much more fun

I did the drive from Nanaimo to Tofino last year for the first time.
Would have been a lot more fun, especially Port Alberni to Tofino, but the road condition was BRUTAL. We were in my g/f's stock Civic too, and at first I wished I had brought my car, but quickly changed my mind! I wonder if that road has gotten any better...
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
That stretch was twice as bad last year (The first time I drove out to Renfrew), they patched it up significantly this year.
Actually, that sounds right, because I drove to Botanical Beach a few years back and I remember thinking that the road was a total nightmare even though I was in my dad's bone-stock Altima. It's definitely manageable now, although there's a stretch that's not ideal for lowered vehicles or very stiff suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon_Fed View Post
Sweet write up!

Always looking for more island routes to cruise. Especially since the g/f's parents live over there, it makes the trips that much more fun

I did the drive from Nanaimo to Tofino last year for the first time.
Would have been a lot more fun, especially Port Alberni to Tofino, but the road condition was BRUTAL. We were in my g/f's stock Civic too, and at first I wished I had brought my car, but quickly changed my mind! I wonder if that road has gotten any better...
They've been working on that road for the better part of five years, patching small sections at a time. It's definitely improving but when I drove it at the end of last summer it was still pretty awful in spots. Part of the problem with that road is that it's over 100km from Port Alberni to Tofino, and most of it is poorly maintained. Basically 2 hours of shit road, which gets annoying very quickly.

There is a 10-15km stretch between Port Renfrew and Sooke that's almost as bad as the road to Tofino, but the rest of the route is nowhere near as riddled with potholes.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #15
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
wow, awesome thx!
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #16
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,044 Times in 2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
holly looks amazing

Who is Holly? pics or ban

OP - nice write up, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #17

Pics added to OP.

Last edited by Amaru; 06-24-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Who is Holly? pics or ban

OP - nice write up, thanks for sharing.
i think he means, holy .. not holly.. as in holy sh$t..
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: