REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

healthy grab and go foods?

Instead of hi-jacking the other thread; Im wondering what you guys eat, or can recommend for healthy grab and go foods; for work while always on the run?

Lets have a list going:

granola/oatmeal bars
apple.....

hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

granola is packed with sugar.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts

twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

Sugar. Sugar. Sugar, but a decent choice.

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
Retired moderator

^that's only for raw almonds, any nuts roasted has their nutrients denatured and it's not good for the body once nuts are roasted.

Raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, peanuts)
Edamame - boil, salt & pepper and voila
Fruit
veggie sticks
natural yogurt
cottage cheese

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Usually a good snack will require two components: a carbohydrate source, and a protein source.

I recommend either a fruit or vegetable for the carb, and some nuts or dairy for the protein.... however there are plenty of options. Btw, keep in mind that fruit is usually very sugary.

Some examples:
- A banana with peanut butter.
- An orange and some cashews.
- Carrot sticks and almonds.
- Two rice cakes and a protein shake.
- An apple and some cottage cheese.
- Yogurt and unsalted beef jerky.
- Crackers with low-fat cream cheese.
- Celery sticks with peanut butter.
- Carrot sticks with trail mix.
- Fruit salad and a glass of milk.

etc.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:04 AM   #7
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
Usually a good snack will require two components: a carbohydrate source, and a protein source.

I recommend either a fruit or vegetable for the carb, and some nuts or dairy for the protein.... however there are plenty of options. Btw, keep in mind that fruit is usually very sugary.

Some examples:
- A banana with peanut butter.
- An orange and some cashews.
- Carrot sticks and almonds.
- Two rice cakes and a protein shake.
- An apple and some cottage cheese.
- Yogurt and unsalted beef jerky.
- Crackers with low-fat cream cheese.
- Celery sticks with peanut butter.
- Carrot sticks with trail mix.
- Fruit salad and a glass of milk.

etc.
Your examples are okay, but your advice isn't. Fat and protein is what you want, not carbs. That is indicated by many of your better examples... Anything with nuts is good, because of the high fat content.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
Banned (BBM)

wats wrong with fruit to go?

and whats wrong with ROASTED nuts?

gotta be fresh nuts?
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
They already explained what was wrong with them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
meh fruit to go and other fruits are good enough alternative for me
obviously they are better choices, but the majority of the healthier foods listed i like to eat them while they are still cold and not been sitting at room temperature for 4 hours when you take your work break.
better than the usual junkfood snacks
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I grab organic trail mix or unsalted nut mixes (Shoppers drug mart has a great mix of these). Yogurt (No splenda, low but not no fat), and carrot sticks (carrots though are packed with sugar if that's an issue for you).

I would avoid processed sugar and fruit leather, they don't have the fiber needed to process thier sugars. And they've got added sugar and crap in them.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Your examples are okay, but your advice isn't. Fat and protein is what you want, not carbs. That is indicated by many of your better examples... Anything with nuts is good, because of the high fat content.
Why fat? Because it's densely packed with calories? I would avoid saturated fats and high-GI carbs, personally.

Too much sugar and you'll crash in no time, but you still need carbs/protein for short-term energy, don't you think?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:25 AM   #13

Avoiding saturated fat is a misguided notion, and overall a horrible idea
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-18-2010, 01:51 AM   #14
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

PBJ sandwiches w/ wholegrain/wheat bread
organic PB and welch's concord jelly.

DO NOT GET KRAFT PB!

And worrying about the whole sugar notion it varies for each individual so it truly depends on how active you are and how your body type reacts to sugar.
Lolkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Avoiding saturated fat is a misguided notion, and overall a horrible idea
Posted via RS Mobile
Perhaps I should clarify. By "avoid" I actually mean "limit," since it's basically impossible to completely eliminate saturated fats from your diet.

Saturated fats are most commonly found in things like butter, full-fat dairy products, and red meats... so a person could, for example, use margarine instead of butter on their morning toast, drink 1% milk, and opt for a 6oz steak instead of a 12oz steak. You'll obviously still eat some saturated fats - if you eat a cookie that contains lard, for example, or if you put cream in your coffee - but, overall, limiting the intake of saturated fats is a good idea, don't you think?

Anyway, I assume you aren't suggesting that saturated fats are a good thing? The human body can manufacture all the saturated fat it needs by itself. Saturated fats can contribute to various cardiovascular diseases, so I certainly wouldn't seek them out as part of your daily diet.

As the age-old adage goes, "everything in moderation"...
Old 06-18-2010, 06:45 AM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I'm trying to put on some more weight, so this is what i usually snack on throughout the morning:
-protein bars
-bananas
-mixed nuts (almonds,peanuts,etc)
-tuna wraps
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #17
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Actually fat slows the absorbtion of sugars into your body and helps your body digest it. It also triggers insulin production which also allows your body to efficently process glucose based sugars aka. Carbs. Carbs are fine so long as they're always consumed with fiber and fat. It's fructose-glucose sugars that need to be limited particularly in liquid form.

For someone trying to maintain a healthy body type I would recommend butter, real butter on your toast (which should be whole grain) any day over margerine (which is harmful in other ways). And allowing 2% milk at least, never 1% or skim. I would recommend yogurt with fat (none of this fat free crap) of at least 1% for a breakfast sized serving. And avoiding artifical sweeteners.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Perhaps I should clarify. By "avoid" I actually mean "limit," since it's basically impossible to completely eliminate saturated fats from your diet.

Saturated fats are most commonly found in things like butter, full-fat dairy products, and red meats... so a person could, for example, use margarine instead of butter on their morning toast, drink 1% milk, and opt for a 6oz steak instead of a 12oz steak. You'll obviously still eat some saturated fats - if you eat a cookie that contains lard, for example, or if you put cream in your coffee - but, overall, limiting the intake of saturated fats is a good idea, don't you think?

Anyway, I assume you aren't suggesting that saturated fats are a good thing? The human body can manufacture all the saturated fat it needs by itself. Saturated fats can contribute to various cardiovascular diseases, so I certainly wouldn't seek them out as part of your daily diet.

Holy Fuck you're a moron
Old 06-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #19
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
I don't see what's wrong with some real fresh fruit, like a Banana, if you are actually on the go, running around, rather than living a sedentary lifestyle.

If you're laying around the computer all day, sugary, 'carby' foods isn't exactly the best snack to be eating.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #20
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:

Time to read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. You're in for a 'whoa' like moment reminiscent of the Matrix.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Holy Fuck you're a moron
Care to explain this insult further? Which part of my post do you disagree with?

You do realize my entire post is regarding saturated fats, correct? I never said a person should avoid fat altogether. On the contrary, I'm well aware that both types of unsaturated fats are desirable and beneficial. I simply suggested limiting your intake of saturated fat.

• "As a general rule, it's a good idea to keep your intake of saturated fats as low as possible." - Harvard School of Public Health

• "Saturated fat is the main dietary cause of high blood cholesterol. Limit saturated fat intake to less than 7 percent of total daily calories." - American Heart Association

• "Saturated fat eaten in excessive amounts is the main culprit in raising total and LDL (“ bad”) cholesterol, which can increase risk of heart disease. High saturated fat intake may also contribute to increasing the risk of obesity, diabetes, and cancer." - University of Michigan Health Systems

• "Foods high in saturated fats tend to raise blood cholesterol. Keep your intake of these foods low." - United States Department of Health "Dietary Guidelines" Manual

• "...limit trans fat and saturated fat in your diet ... saturated and trans fat tend to increase the risk of heart disease." - Health Canada

• "When looking at a food label, pay very close attention to the percentage of saturated fat and avoid or limit any foods that are high." - US National Library of Medicine Encyclopedia

• "One of the important diabetes nutrition guidelines is to eat less than 7% of calories from saturated fat." - American Diabetes Association

• "Limit total intake of fats and oils...Avoid butter, stick margarine, shortening, lard, palm and coconut oils...Limit saturated and trans fats..." - University of California Medical Center

Are the researchers at Harvard Medical School, the American Heart Association, and Health Canada all morons as well?

Last edited by Amaru; 06-20-2010 at 10:58 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Time to read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. You're in for a 'whoa' like moment reminiscent of the Matrix.
Haven't read it, it's a daunting book... very long. But, I've heard of it, and I'm sure it's got some very good stuff in it.

It's also a very controversial book. If I'm not mistaken, Taubes is a journalist, not a medical researcher... and the book got some pretty intense backlash from the scientific community. Here's one example from a biomedical researcher in Louisiana.

Not saying it's not a good book with a strong argument, but the premise of the book disagrees with a lot of basic scientific principles regarding diet and obesity... so I would take it with a grain of salt (pardon the pun).

Most leading researchers and experts maintain the position (as I pointed out in the above post) that intake of saturated fats should be limited.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Care to explain this insult further?
No
Quote:
Are the researchers at Harvard Medical School, the American Heart Association, and Health Canada all morons as well?
And this is why. No they are not morons, they are just doing what they have to do to get paid.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #24

Quote:
No

And this is why. No they are not morons, they are just doing what they have to do to get paid.
Correct. And in the case of university professors, they are paid to conduct unbiased, scientifically-accurate research without the threat of commercial or political interference. There is no reason nor incentive for them to misrepresent the dangers of saturated fats. (If anything, I would think conspiracy theorists should be arguing that McDonald's, Kraft and other food companies are bribing scientists to argue that high-fat foods AREN'T harmful...)

I cited research from the world's most reputable and well-respected research universities and health organizations... yet you fail my posts and call me a moron, but don't explain why you think I'm wrong?

Whatever... I'm not too bothered by your insults or trolling, but people read this particular forum for health advice. Telling them that it's good to eat saturated fats when 95%+ of the world's nutrition and health experts disagree is misleading and irresponsible.

If you want to refute the claims I posted above, go for it. If not, then please don't insult me and please don't spread inaccurate information to the general public.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-21-2010, 04:15 AM   #25
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Correct. And in the case of university professors, they are paid to conduct unbiased, scientifically-accurate research without the threat of commercial or political interference. There is no reason nor incentive for them to misrepresent the dangers of saturated fats. (If anything, I would think conspiracy theorists should be arguing that McDonald's, Kraft and other food companies are bribing scientists to argue that high-fat foods AREN'T harmful...)

I cited research from the world's most reputable and well-respected research universities and health organizations... yet you fail my posts and call me a moron, but don't explain why you think I'm wrong?

Whatever... I'm not too bothered by your insults or trolling, but people read this particular forum for health advice. Telling them that it's good to eat saturated fats when 95%+ of the world's nutrition and health experts disagree is misleading and irresponsible.

If you want to refute the claims I posted above, go for it. If not, then please don't insult me and please don't spread inaccurate information to the general public.
No, you stop spreading inaccurate information to the general public.
And a lot of big corporations are the ones funding university studies in the states, so those professors are influenced and biased. A lot of results get suppressed because the big corporate sponsors do not like them. As well, the US government like to support certain industries; for example you should search "King Corn" and "Prescription for Disaster" videos.

Also check out www.blogtalkradio.com/undergroundwellness

On another note, I think Taubes is coming up with a condensed version of Good Calories, Bad Calories
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote