REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #101
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Menawhile the person who you issued the second VI to is on the hook for paying for them both

In my experience the reason the owners went to those particular stations was because their vehicles would not pass a legal inspection and they chose the garage that would pass it with the illegal mods. They well knew what they were getting into. Whenever I went to the garage that had done the improper inspections I told them what vehicle and what was wrong with the car. If the inspector wanted to charge the guy for a second real inspection, then that was up to him.

, and possibly risks getting the car towed if the cop is really pissed off by the situation.

The car would only be towed if the vehicle was unsafe.

I wonder if any of the shops that the officers recommend have ever botched an inspection?

I never audited them but I never did run across a vehicle that had passed one of their inspections again and still required another inspection. The ones I used were the ones that the modded vehicle owners did not voluntarily go to because they knew they would get caught and have to really fix things.

You have to ask yourself, is all this really necessary for something that might be a minor flaw?
The vehicles I issued a VI for never got one for minor flaws...They had things like : not enough ground clearance, scraping tyres, rusted out frames and bodies, home made body style conversions, motorcycles with open primary chain cases, adjustable hydraulic suspension systems that were not approved for road use, a jacked up pickup truck that used hockey pucks to lift the body off the frame. ...that sort of thing.
Advertisement
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #102
I subscribe to Revscene

I always wondered why ICBC routinely insures defective vehicles.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #103
RS Peace Officer

For the same reason they routinely give DLs to defective drivers??
Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #104
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
For the same reason they routinely give DLs to defective drivers??
At least they make an attempt to educate and examine the drivers.

It's an honest question, if a police officer will take $60 an hour to look under hoods for cats (and I'm not talking about rescuing stranded kittens), why can't an insurance agent do a quick walkaround to make sure the vehicle isn't defective in any obvious way?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #105
うに

Thanked 1,008 Times in 402 Posts
WOW!
great debate guys!
i feel like i have my car very close to MVA regs.

just a little update on my car
I took it to acura this morning, and my SRS light came on just as I started the car and parked it.
went in and asked the service advisor, and he told me that i should get that fixed cuz its an automatic fail.
so.... i am currently looking for a new seat belt tensioner (gonna borrow from a friend)
the funny thing is that i don't have an aftermarket steering wheel or seat, and i have never had one installed, so i couldn't do the VI for something that wasn't really my fult from moding the car
PK-EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #106
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK-EK View Post
WOW!
great debate guys!
i feel like i have my car very close to MVA regs.

just a little update on my car
I took it to acura this morning, and my SRS light came on just as I started the car and parked it.
went in and asked the service advisor, and he told me that i should get that fixed cuz its an automatic fail.
so.... i am currently looking for a new seat belt tensioner (gonna borrow from a friend)
the funny thing is that i don't have an aftermarket steering wheel or seat, and i have never had one installed, so i couldn't do the VI for something that wasn't really my fult from moding the car
Why not just have them repair or replace the faulty part rather than borrow something like a seat belt tensioner from a friend just to pass?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #107
うに

Quote:
Why not just have them repair or replace the faulty part rather than borrow something like a seat belt tensioner from a friend just to pass?
that was my original idea cuz i didn't want to bother with it anymore
but i did the math, and its wayy too high, plus i need to wait 1 month for the tensioner
diagnostic atlreast $50
part: $465
labor atleast $100
and they don't have the part, one month wait
$615
not worth it IMO
if it was like $300 i would let them fix it but that wont even cover parts
Old 06-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #108
I subscribe to Revscene

Perhaps the officer who ordered you to take it to Richmond Acura needs to follow up with them to see why they are passing vehicles with borrowed seat belt tensioners

Old 06-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #109
うに

Quote:
Perhaps the officer who ordered you to take it to Richmond Acura needs to follow up with them to see why they are passing vehicles with borrowed seat belt tensioners
LOL
officer, i have no intention to give it back to my friend
Old 06-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #110
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
a jacked up pickup truck that used hockey pucks to lift the body off the frame. ....
Hockey pucks to lift the body off of the frame????

That's hillarious...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #111
RS Peace Officer

Yep, in Powell River...and the lift had been done by one of the MAJOR off-road conversion companies in Vancouver. You would immediately know the company name. Had the company decals on the truck. Left on a tow hook. Hope the owner went after the company.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #112
Retired Traffic Cop

In some countries you do have to show proof of passed vehicle mechanical inspection each year in order to be able to renew your insurance.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #113
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
In some countries you do have to show proof of passed vehicle mechanical inspection each year in order to be able to renew your insurance.
Hence all the cheap rhd JDM cars flooding Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #114
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK-EK View Post
I was just playing dumb,
i am fully aware my car will not pass a VI
i'm actually an auto apprentice
LOL
i will seriously look into geting a hi flow cat (or maybe a pipe with a heat sheild on it)
I am also in the process of getting a stock exhaust (that will be kept on my car)

but yeah, i'm pretty much fucked
there is nothing i can do
the only thing that i can do that i feel better about is not go to Acura for a VI
being an auto apprentice i know some ppl that can help me
wHY not just check w/ the shop you work at??
And you shoulda been honest.

FYI, if the cop's on the opposing side of the street, then they generally don't know how fast you're really going.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #115
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

i think the majority of resentment for law enforcement comes from A) stories from other people, who almost ALWAYS edit their story out when re-telling them, giving the general population that hears about them the MISCONCEPTION that cops are just here to fuck us over (I have a modded car, but all within certain legal lmits).

B) A negative experience with law enforcement regarding something that wasn't even relevant. IE: I've been pulled over 3 times in the last 4 months and asked to show them my windows (They're not tinted). The last cop got a lot of lip from me because I asked him "well, why would I tint my driver's window and not the passenger?? Why are you wasting my time?". ETc etc.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #116
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Hence all the cheap rhd JDM cars flooding Canada.
Yet you can't import a perfectly safe, new RHD car from Japan

Old 06-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #117
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
FYI, if the cop's on the opposing side of the street, then they generally don't know how fast you're really going.
Sorry, that's incorrect. Many police cars are equipped with radar systems that work while the vehicle is in motion.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #118
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, that's incorrect. Many police cars are equipped with radar systems that work while the vehicle is in motion.
Plus, most cops have extensive training in estimating speed, plus years of experience - in many cases, the radar/laser is used merely as confirmation of the cop's estimation.

Quote:
i think the majority of resentment for law enforcement comes from A) stories from other people, who almost ALWAYS edit their story out when re-telling them, giving the general population that hears about them the MISCONCEPTION that cops are just here to fuck us over (I have a modded car, but all within certain legal lmits).

B) A negative experience with law enforcement regarding something that wasn't even relevant. IE: I've been pulled over 3 times in the last 4 months and asked to show them my windows (They're not tinted). The last cop got a lot of lip from me because I asked him "well, why would I tint my driver's window and not the passenger?? Why are you wasting my time?". ETc etc.
It's funny, when I had my first car (1980 GLC), it was white with brown striping and had several rust spots around the wheel wells and the bottom of the hatch, and I never got pulled over.

When I painted over the rust spots with flat-black Tremclad, I was suddenly getting stopped every two weeks, every time by cops who wanted to check my roadworthiness (checked brakes, lights, horn, block the tailpipe to check the exhaust, etc.) In fairness, with big black paint blobs, it looked like a real piece... but it passed their roadside inspections every time.

After about the fifth time, I'd had enough of that, so I spraybombed the whole car flat black... next time I got pulled over was for speeding (which I was), over two years later.

And no, I don't blame the cops - like I say, the car looked like a complete junker in its half-painted state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote