REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Good Places for U-Brew Beer (https://www.revscene.net/forums/617701-good-places-u-brew-beer.html)

bikerman 06-17-2010 01:04 PM

Good Places for U-Brew Beer

Hey, me and some buddies are thinking of doing u-brew beer this summer. Wondering if anyone has some advice of a good cheap place to go. Im not expecting to make amazing craft brews, just a decent lager or something at a reasonable cost.

Thanks.

unit 06-17-2010 01:22 PM

buy the equipment from rj spagnols and do it yourself.
takes 2 weeks to make a batch (65 beers).
after the equipment cost (60 bucks), the beers work out to something like 50-60cents each.

i got wine in progress right now. too bad it needs to age 3 months before drinking.
might make a 4 week wine that requires little to no aging next (white).

bikerman 06-17-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 6995590)
buy the equipment from rj spagnols and do it yourself.
takes 2 weeks to make a batch (65 beers).
after the equipment cost (60 bucks), the beers work out to something like 50-60cents each.

i got wine in progress right now. too bad it needs to age 3 months before drinking.
might make a 4 week wine that requires little to no aging next (white).

do they sell bottles too ?

unit 06-17-2010 01:54 PM

i think they do. if not, any u-brew type place will.
im gonna do a batch of beer this summer too.
gonna get the 500ml bottles.
nothing like opening your fridge to 46 500mL bottles of cold beer.
seriously brings a tear to my eye. :drool:drool:drool

bikerman 06-17-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 6995623)
i think they do. if not, any u-brew type place will.
im gonna do a batch of beer this summer too.
gonna get the 500ml bottles.
nothing like opening your fridge to 46 500mL bottles of cold beer.
seriously brings a tear to my eye. :drool:drool:drool

HAHA, yea me too. I Love beer its all i drink. Do you have any experience with how long the beers lasts once its bottled.

unit 06-17-2010 02:59 PM

from my experience, beer lasts a few minutes once its in a cold glass in front of me. :D
jk

it depends on how cold its kept. in a fridge i think it should be good for 8-12 weeks. kept out of the fridge... not long. probably a month.

by the way, i went to spagnols and bought these 2L bottles of home brew beer.
it looks like this:

http://www.brewsuppliesdirect.com/in...iter-kits.html

they sell it for under 3 bucks! thats equal to a six pack. all you do is put a yeast capsule inside, and screw on the new lid. wait 10 days, fridge, and its ready.
awesome!! im gonna drink it today, let u know how it turns out. if its good, im gonna buy like 5 of them next time.

the ultimate lazy man home brewed beer. zero equipment needed.

Fafine 06-17-2010 04:22 PM

^ be sure to come back and tell us how it taste =D

bikerman 06-17-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 6995704)
from my experience, beer lasts a few minutes once its in a cold glass in front of me. :D
jk

it depends on how cold its kept. in a fridge i think it should be good for 8-12 weeks. kept out of the fridge... not long. probably a month.

by the way, i went to spagnols and bought these 2L bottles of home brew beer.
it looks like this:

http://www.brewsuppliesdirect.com/in...iter-kits.html

they sell it for under 3 bucks! thats equal to a six pack. all you do is put a yeast capsule inside, and screw on the new lid. wait 10 days, fridge, and its ready.
awesome!! im gonna drink it today, let u know how it turns out. if its good, im gonna buy like 5 of them next time.

the ultimate lazy man home brewed beer. zero equipment needed.

holy fuck $3 for a 2liter. Are you going to the spagnols on annacis island ?

therubberguard 06-17-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerman (Post 6995568)
Hey, me and some buddies are thinking of doing u-brew beer this summer. Wondering if anyone has some advice of a good cheap place to go. Im not expecting to make amazing craft brews, just a decent lager or something at a reasonable cost.

Thanks.

might be kind of far from you, but my buddies and i have did a u brew at this place http://www.brewcastle.com/ good experience, gotta make sure to keep the beers in a cold place.

Jermyzy 06-17-2010 08:58 PM

I'm doing a one-month European land tour this summer and I'm looking forward to trying all the different beers!

unit 06-18-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafine (Post 6995777)
^ be sure to come back and tell us how it taste =D

it tasted not bad! pretty good actually i was shocked that it was 'homemade' and only 3 bucks! the only downside of it is the yeast sediment on the bottom of the 2L. you have to be careful when you pour and probably pouring into larger glasses helps, since you disturb the sediment less often. definitely gonna try it again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerman (Post 6995823)
holy fuck $3 for a 2liter. Are you going to the spagnols on annacis island ?

thats the one.

bikerman 06-18-2010 12:01 PM

Just picked up a 2liter for 2.89 ! hopefully it turns out well.

Manic! 06-18-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 6996674)
it tasted not bad! pretty good actually i was shocked that it was 'homemade' and only 3 bucks! the only downside of it is the yeast sediment on the bottom of the 2L. you have to be careful when you pour and probably pouring into larger glasses helps, since you disturb the sediment less often. definitely gonna try it again.

thats the one.

Why not filter it?

Fafine 06-18-2010 07:29 PM

damn think imma grab a bottle next week see how it goes

bikerman 06-19-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafine (Post 6997337)
damn think imma grab a bottle next week see how it goes

only 2 left when i was there, but the lady said they may be ordering more in the new few weeks. Hopefully they do because they are below MSRP, online they are suggested to go for $4-5. Defiantly cant complain with $2.89

unit 06-20-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 6997187)
Why not filter it?

you probably can, but then you're beginning to borderline real home brewing.

this is as simple as drop a tablet, screw on cap, wait, drink.

suzuka84 06-25-2010 12:42 AM

just go to a ubrew place, the process is simple.

for those wondering about cost, think of it this way: the government deems this stuff as food services so it's not subject to liquor tax.

Presto 05-16-2013 11:10 AM

Bumping this old thread.
I jumped on the U-brew bandwagon. We always talk about it, but we never do it. Finally, my brother-in-law just dropped in on a U-brew place in Langley, and got a batch going for $57 (taxes in). Yesterday, we went and canned his beer. It was $17 extra for the cans. All you do is fill them up, put the lid on, and a machine fastens them together. It took about 10 minutes with one person filling and another attaching the lid.

Anyways, I found the process really easy. I placed an order for another batch, and it'll be ready at the end of the month. Cream ale was the first batch, which tastes pretty good. The second batch will be a red ale, like Rickards. We ended up with over 70 cans of brew. We're going to go with glass bottles for the next batch. They can be washed and reused, and that'll cut down the cost per beer, significantly.

Sid Vicious 05-22-2013 07:22 PM

anyone here brew their own beer? thoughts/reviews?

drove past a place in richmond on jacombs at cambie that was offering 12 dozen beers for $150ish. not sure if this included the cans or not. still $1-$2 for a beer aint bad

anyone brew a big batch before? how did it taste? was it that much cheaper than buying like a 15 pack of old mil?

young_howee 05-22-2013 08:07 PM

Most u-brews charge like $1 for each empty bottle. So i would just save up my own bottles

Presto 05-22-2013 08:49 PM

Have a look at the U-brew thread in the Food and Dining Forum:
http://www.revscene.net/forums/61770...brew-beer.html

I, recently, bottled some u-brew with my bro-in-law in Langley at Von Euw Brew. $57 for 23 liters, which works out to 66 cans of beer. You can bring your own bottles, buy theirs, or can 'em. Canning is $17 extra, and we went that route because we didn't have bottles, yet. Bottles are major savings in the long run.

Culverin 05-22-2013 09:16 PM

Don't get cans.
Just go straight to bottles.
I'm using 500ml plastic bottles, they work well.

artmotion 05-22-2013 09:52 PM

I just did my first batch a few weeks ago and should be ready for bottling. My friends all use ez top bottles (like the ones from howe sound brewery or grolsch) and have been doing it for a while. Their beers all taste pretty good and they just brewed a new one with earl grey tea. Can't wait to try it!

As far as it being cheap or not, it all depends how you want to do it. My basic equipment wasn't too expensive and if you're doing it at the u brew place, they probably supply everything as well. But if you get more into it and do it at home, you'll end up spending a lot on more sophisticated equipment. The ingredients are generally cheap and as long as you're following good recipes with good ingredients and keeping everything well sanitized, it should be pretty hard to make a bad batch.

I say definitely give it a shot. It's fun, you'll get to learn more about beer and hopefully it'll get you away from Old Milwaukee.

Great68 05-23-2013 07:21 AM

I've tried U-Brew places a few times in the past, and never really been a big fan.

I find the taste from those beer kits not that great, and the shelf life of U-Brew beer sucks. Sure you get 12 dozen beers for $150, but they start going bad after 2-3 months. I likes my beer, but I can't possibly drink that much in that amount of time.

Hondaracer 05-23-2013 07:51 AM

My buddy was brewing some on and off for the past few years

I find most of it has the same aftertaste which isn't a great one and you'll never have a worse hangover than from ubrew, ill pay the extra and drink Somthing I enjoy
Posted via RS Mobile