REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Secret Compartment in your Vehicle?

Common sense would tell me this is not legal but I am curious to know the specifics.
Anybody know the laws, rules, or regulations on having a secret compartment built into your car?

Lets agree this is not for anything bad... but say somebody had one built in because they had a couple bucks to spend and wanted to 007-out their car.
Normally it would work by pressing a specific sequence of buttons on your console for example: power+heater+window down.
Advertisement
ToneCapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
I subscribe to Revscene

this would be good to hide valuables in your car (not illegal stuff) In my old car I was able to pop open a peice of the dash and hid my ipod or w/e in there.
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #3

Exactly you can put anything valuble in there that you dont want to get stolen if your car is broken in to. If its illegal and youll be burned for having it, then what if you tell the officer (who pulled you over) that you have that compartment and even offer to show it.
ToneCapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I wouldn't be crossing the border if you had one.... even if it were empty.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Buy a Grand Caravan, it comes with secret compartments from the factory! Stow'n'Go FTW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
racing & tech mod.

Last edited by Rich Sandor; 06-17-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
I subscribe to Revscene

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_rele...027-000479.htm

Quote:
Highlights of the act include:

· Enhancing public safety by prohibiting anyone from operating armoured vehicles, except by regulated exemption or with a permit for legitimate purposes.

· Prohibiting the after-market installation of compartments in vehicles unless exempt by regulation.

· Requiring individuals seeking an armoured vehicle operation permit to prove reasonable need and undergo a criminal record check.

· Individuals found in contravention of this act will face a fine of up to $10,000 and six months imprisonment, upon conviction.
Coming soon: An act requiring anyone wearing clothes with pockets to turn the pockets inside out while walking aound in public.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #8
racing & tech mod.

i didn't think they would actually be able to pass that part of the act.

great now we have to worry about getting our car seized because a cop 'thinks' the factory belly pans conceal a hidden compartment.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
I subscribe to Revscene

And yet it is still illegal to walk around in public while naked.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:24 AM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_rele...027-000479.htm

Coming soon: An act requiring anyone wearing clothes with pockets to turn the pockets inside out while walking aound in public.
That would never withstand a Charter challenge. I doubt it will even be passed into law, although I suppose it's possible.

I don't see why you couldn't install a "secret compartment" in your vehicle so long as it didn't make the vehicle unsafe for you or the general public, or tamper with any factory-installed safety/operational equipment.

As someone else suggested, however, I wouldn't try to cross the border with one. I wouldn't even recommend installing one, as it'll probably cause more grief that good if you ever get pulled over. Even if you're just using it to store bubble gum and baseball cards, it certainly looks suspicious.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:27 AM   #11

"Prohibiting the after-market installation of compartments in vehicles unless exempt by regulation."

I certainly hope the actual legislation is more specific that that, otherwise my work van is in BIG trouble.
Quote:
Old 06-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Bill 14 has passed 3rd reading and the exact wording is being worked on now and will possibly be ready late this summer. This is intended to not let the Bacon's hide their guns and drug smuggler to hide their dope. It's not intended to prohibit a caravan owner for having the fold away seats. They are talking about aftermarket conversions. Already there are hundreds of places to hide drugs in anormal vehicle without modding it.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #13
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I've seen some neat ones where the passanger front seat comes up with a stow away compartment underneath. These I saw actually in a demo car targetted for women as a safe place to stow thier purses and other often stold items in a convertable.

I guess that would be illegal as well under the new law.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Just another step closer to stomping on peoples rights and freedoms, all the while telling them it’s to protect their rights and freedoms.

Canada slowly starts looking more and more like our US neighbors, post patriot act……..
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Bill 14 has passed 3rd reading and the exact wording is being worked on now and will possibly be ready late this summer. This is intended to not let the Bacon's hide their guns and drug smuggler to hide their dope. It's not intended to prohibit a caravan owner for having the fold away seats. They are talking about aftermarket conversions. Already there are hundreds of places to hide drugs in anormal vehicle without modding it.
This is what I'm talking about: my work van is a basic Mazda MPV with equipment racks added, including a number of cubbies, parts drawers, and so on... in other words, aftermarket compartments. Which is why I say, I hope the wording of the legislation is a lot more specific than that summary above.
Quote:
Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
This is what I'm talking about: my work van is a basic Mazda MPV with equipment racks added, including a number of cubbies, parts drawers, and so on... in other words, aftermarket compartments. Which is why I say, I hope the wording of the legislation is a lot more specific than that summary above.
I would imagine the hope is that most police officers know better than to harass an honest guy driving a work van, and will only use the law in circumstances where it's absolutely necessary. I'm sure a few cops will enforce the law to the letter, and some innocent dude in a work van will get screwed over. But I'm sure it'll be rarely enforced and easily overturned in court.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
Just another step closer to stomping on peoples rights and freedoms, all the while telling them it’s to protect their rights and freedoms.

Canada slowly starts looking more and more like our US neighbors, post patriot act……..
Jamie? Is that you??
Quote:
Old 06-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #18
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Jamie? Is that you??
Are you asking him out on a date?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #19

LOL who the hell is Jamie?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #20
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
LOL who the hell is Jamie?
Does the name Jamie Bacon ring a bell?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #21
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
I would imagine the hope is that most police officers know better than to harass an honest guy driving a work van, and will only use the law in circumstances where it's absolutely necessary. I'm sure a few cops will enforce the law to the letter, and some innocent dude in a work van will get screwed over. But I'm sure it'll be rarely enforced and easily overturned in court.

thing is police wont be able to tell if its an honest worker or a cover up.
simsimi1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #22
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I worry more about what it could be used against than what it was intended to do ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Does the name Jamie Bacon ring a bell?
Haha, I totally missed the obvious. My bad.

I am always amazed at the attitude of "restricting me and monitoring me keeps me safe, so I’m okay with it!" when it comes to things like this.

I can see the argument, in my eyes though it takes it too far. Not only is that a really terrible wording (yes I understand they are working on it), but to push the idea that I cant modify something like the interior of something I own because it MAY allow me to hide something from the police is pretty unreasonable.

By the same idea, I can buy a farm, but if my farm doesn’t already have pigs on it I can’t buy any pigs, because I MAY kill some hookers and have the eaten by my live stock.

Yes, a ridiculous example, but certainly the same idea. Preventing someone who is not a criminal from doing something totally harmless because someone may be able to use it to do something illegal.

I want officers to be safe on the job, I dont want criminals like the bacon brothers to succeed in being able to hurt people without consequences, however where do we draw the line between guarding people and taking away personal rights and freedoms to do that?

By allowing people like the bacon brothers to change the way we live our lives, we have allowed them to win. Why should my rights be compromised because someone else has proven they can’t be trusted to have them?

Sorry, I just miss the days of common sense over heavy handed babysitting. Maybe I am in the minority?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #24

I was planning on doing this too.
1995 Nissan 240sx SOLD
2009 Saturn Astra
some_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
I was once accused of stealin my work van. I was grabbin some tools out of my work van and placin them inside my work bag and saw cop lights come on. Police stepped out and asked me if the van was stolen, I said no and put my hands in my pocket to show him my work I'd and he freaked out and told me to put my hands in the air and step away from the car. Cop proceeds to pat me down and pull shit out of my pocket when he saw my work I'd and realized what a fuck up he made. Officer said he assumed the car was stolen cause recently there has been lots of reports as well as the fact I looked too young to be working for such a company.

Needless to say I was super pissed off and my attitude towards the officer turned pretty nasty afterwards.
Posted via RS Mobile
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote