REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Hopeless Romantic

Sold something on craigslist... possible threat?

Story:

So I sold my old phone on craigslist, which i originally purchased myself from craigslist. I used the phone for several months on Rogers with my data plan etc. After meeting up with a buyer and selling him the phone, he calls me the next day saying that the Pin is locked and that it needs to be "released". I call rogers, and they mention that I have to call Verizon (as the phone was originally from the US) BUT because I am not the original owner of the phone I can't release it.

After mentioning to the buyer that the original owner needs to call verizon, he has threatened to get police involved?

Quoting the email from him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL Buyer

I went into Rogers, Telus and Fido. They all said that "Using the internet with this phone will not work until it is released by verizon" I am also roaming as it has the red triangle on the display.

The guy from Fido said to me exactly this "I got fuked over by you and all this phone is good for is making phone calls and sms texting" I spent $400 on a phone I wanted for email and I could have bought a talking phone for $20.

I want my money back or I will take this to the next level. I will get the police involved. I will put your email into a massive spam database.

I will build a website with my company that will destroy your reputation and allow you to never get a job in this city again.

I am a very powerful man in Vancouver and never get fuked over.

Help me here. I want a phone that works.
Is he just yanking my chain? I mean, i honestly didn't intend to screw him over like this as I legitimately used the phone for months on rogers, with all the features he is claiming now don't work with his plan because the pin needs to be "released".

How should I go about this?

I know that this doesn't have anything to do with the MVA, but I figured I would be able to get more mature responses here than in O/T.

Moderators please move accordingly if this isn't okay.
Advertisement

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo I (Sold)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (Daily Driven)
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

Sounds like he's pulling your leg about the website thing and your reputation. Either way, I think if he does manage to make a website that manages to harm you monetarily then you can actually sue him.

What's his name? Guaranteed that you won't find much shit about him even if you tried to Google him. Because if he was indeed that powerful, he would have probably bought it retail and got the warranty and all that jazz. Rather than going buyer beware on Craigslist.

But as for the Blackberry, if it worked on your Rogers BIS, try logging on to BIS and delete everything on it.

Was Rogers aware that the Blackberry was used on their network for voice and data? Cause the only way it could be used on their network is if it was released in the first place.
w00tgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
Hopeless Romantic

I've searched his name, he does own a company designing websites but other than that not much information is available from what I could find.

I have deleted everything on my BIS regarding the blackberry.. and I have since registered another Blackberry onto my BIS... Which is why i'm literally dumbfounded as to why he's having so much difficulty.

I called rogers and they were unable to explain to me how I would have been able to use it.

Thanks for the quick response.

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
Old 06-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
he is a very powerful man, with his own company, yet he buys a phone on craigslist?

sounds like bs.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Call his bluff - I can register a domain and make a shitty website defaming someone too. He knew what he was looking for and should've done his research prior to buying your phone, I say tough.

Besides, are you really going to take someone seriously if they can't even spell "fuck" properly, and in his case he misspelled it twice.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Would "buyer beware" apply here? Or would it not because the OP didn't know that the PIN would lock up after the buyer put his SIM in?

Either way, I smell crap, and I think he has very little legal recourse if any. It's not like you scammed him out of $2000 for the phone.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
I'll be good I promise.

Thanked 1,551 Times in 329 Posts
I smell bullshit, tell him if you don't like the phone return the phone while you give him back his money.
If he's such a powerful man why the hell would he buy a phone off craigslist in the first place?
Kim Jong Un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Tell him you've contacted a lawyer for defamation and that the ball is in his court. Maybe offer him a full refund minus a 20% waste of time restocking fee
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
I am a very powerful man in Vancouver and never get fuked over.

Help me here. I want a phone that works.
Wow, "CL Buyer" is fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtanner_ View Post
Story:

So I sold my old phone on craigslist, which i originally purchased myself from craigslist. I used the phone for several months on Rogers with my data plan etc. After meeting up with a buyer and selling him the phone, he calls me the next day saying that the Pin is locked and that it needs to be "released". I call rogers, and they mention that I have to call Verizon (as the phone was originally from the US) BUT because I am not the original owner of the phone I can't release it.
The part bolded makes 0 sense. Verizon is CDMA, rogers is GSM. Its impossible to use a CDMA phone from Verizon on a Canadian plan (even if you used Telus' old CDMA network) as the ESN is locked.

Which berry model is this?
I'm guessing rogers is your provider, so they would be the ones that have to release the PIN, not the original carrier the phone was branded for. Since your phone worked with BIS before you sold it, that means the PIN was locked to Rogers.
Strzelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

Give us his name.

RS > 'CL Buyer' Power =)
w00tgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
Hopeless Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strzelec View Post
The part bolded makes 0 sense. Verizon is CDMA, rogers is GSM. Its impossible to use a CDMA phone from Verizon on a Canadian plan (even if you used Telus' old CDMA network) as the ESN is locked.

Which berry model is this?
I'm guessing rogers is your provider, so they would be the ones that have to release the PIN, not the original carrier the phone was branded for. Since your phone worked with BIS before you sold it, that means the PIN was locked to Rogers.
It was a blackberry storm 2 (9550) from Verizon but unlocked and used on Rogers. Rogers is my service provider. I was also confused as to how I was able to use it and how he isn't. I called rogers and they mentioned that Verizon would have to release the PIN, but couldn't explain how I was able to use it on my BIS. I honestly didn't want to waste any more of my time trying to speak to a representative who could explain the situation. And then I wake up to the above email lol.

Thanks for the input everyone.

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
Old 06-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #13
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

That's BS. Rogers probably locked it and they're bs'ing you cause they don't want to deal with it. If it is locked, you can go to some of those small cellphone shops and get it unlocked again for like $20. I could be totally wrong though, but that's what I think it is. Rogers will not be willing to unlock your phone so they give you some BS.

Also, on CL, that dude has no recourse unless he can prove you purposely lied to him and led him astray. I'm assuming you indicated what you were able to do with the phone and it's his fault for not checking it completely to see if it's compatible for what he wants to use it for.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
Hopeless Romantic

So... I just received a text message from him saying...

Quote:
How do we handle this? It is useless in Canada. i want my money back or I will call friends to take care of this in another way.
Honestly this is getting ridiculous lol, and with continuous threats I feel less willing to meet him in order to do any sort of return transaction... At first I felt bad and tried to help but now i'm just like wtf.

I've ignored all his calls today and he just sent me that text... is there anything he can really do? I suppose he has my name/phone number/e-mail...

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
Old 06-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #15
G
Banned (BBM)

I'm guessing you've met him in real life? Did he look shady?

If it really escalates to this level, then YOU can contact the police and say he is threatening you. If you saved your emails etc. and have nothing at fault for "scamming" then it shouldn't be your fault.

If you want to reply him, tell him you are trying to figure out a solution for him, it will take some time, and that if you can't find a solution then you will refund him the money. If he continues to threaten you then report it.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
It was a blackberry storm 2 (9550) from Verizon but unlocked and used on Rogers. Rogers is my service provider. I was also confused as to how I was able to use it and how he isn't. I called rogers and they mentioned that Verizon would have to release the PIN, but couldn't explain how I was able to use it on my BIS. I honestly didn't want to waste any more of my time trying to speak to a representative who could explain the situation. And then I wake up to the above email lol.

Thanks for the input everyone.
My bad then, thought it was a non world phone berry e.g. the 8330.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
That's BS. Rogers probably locked it and they're bs'ing you cause they don't want to deal with it. If it is locked, you can go to some of those small cellphone shops and get it unlocked again for like $20. I could be totally wrong though, but that's what I think it is. Rogers will not be willing to unlock your phone so they give you some BS.

Also, on CL, that dude has no recourse unless he can prove you purposely lied to him and led him astray. I'm assuming you indicated what you were able to do with the phone and it's his fault for not checking it completely to see if it's compatible for what he wants to use it for.
The problem here isnt the phone locking, as the new guy was able to put in the SIM and make calls/send texts. But i do agree that rogers is feeding you a bullshit story about verizon having the PIN locked down. If you couldnt use BIS, then fine, but since you were able to, its obviously not locked by Verizon.

Might be worth a shot to look at
https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=rogers
Poke around there, and see if there is a way to release your PIN. I dont have a BIS account so its quite probable there is no option there.

If rogers is still feeding you BS, and there's no option on the BIS site, i suggest asking on howardforums.
Strzelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #17
Hopeless Romantic

^ Yeah... I'm really not sure how to go about this atm... Definitely not what I was expecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by R View Post
I'm guessing you've met him in real life? Did he look shady?

If it really escalates to this level, then YOU can contact the police and say he is threatening you. If you saved your emails etc. and have nothing at fault for "scamming" then it shouldn't be your fault.

If you want to reply him, tell him you are trying to figure out a solution for him, it will take some time, and that if you can't find a solution then you will refund him the money. If he continues to threaten you then report it.
Gordonnn lol, SFU RS beatdown crew. Jokes. But yes I did meet with him in person, and he didn't look shady, typical guy.

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
Old 06-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
So... I just received a text message from him saying...
Quote:
How do we handle this? It is useless in Canada. i want my money back or I will call friends to take care of this in another way.
Wait... you didn't sell your phone to BRADFORD CHOW did you???? :noob:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #19
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

dude you ripped him off you should give him his money and take your phone back.

as far as the pin being "locked" goes just call rogers blackberry technical support department. tell them you sold the phone. they will ask for the imei etc. and release it. Usually though when you add a new berry to your account the old one gets released.

if it doesn't work you should give him his money back. he bought the phone expecting it to work on rogers. i'm sure he asked you and you probably told him it does. now that it doesn't you should refund the cash and take the phone. If I was him I'd be angry too.
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #20
I'll be good I promise.

Yea best thing to do right now is return the dude his cash, take your phone back and make sure this time your phone is working properly before seeking another buyer.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #21
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Wait... you didn't sell your phone to BRADFORD CHOW did you???? :noob:
Damn you beat me to it.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #22
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Pfft.. Caveat emptor. Buyer beware.

His idle threats are bs. You should tell him you're the one contacting the police for his threats.

If he hadn't resorted to such crappy threats... I'd have refunded his money. But if the phone worked for you, and won't work for him... he's obviously doing something wrong. Dumbass.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #23
is best wrench

Thanked 1,208 Times in 272 Posts
He should have done his research before he bought it off you. It's straight down to common sense to at least know what you're buying and how to handle it.

Just another one of them "buyer did not beware" situations.

If he continues to bother you, like others have said, you should be reporting him instead of vice versa
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #24
I'll be good I promise.

1) Make an erotic ad.
2) Include his email within the ad.
3) ??????
4) Profit.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:56 AM   #25
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote: