REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #26
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
i've got a barry bonds rookie card (not hockey...im very aware)

i have over 2000 hockey cards from when i was a kid in a box at my moms place...ill check them out in another 10 years to see if their is any value
Advertisement
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #27
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Gekko View Post

By the way, for the people who lived in South Van, do you guys remember sports card heaven across from the 7-11 on 57th and knight?
haha yea, used to go there after school pretty often. now its some health food store or something.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #28
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I don't think they're gonna be as big as they used to be. I don't think I'll end up collecting them ever again even though I have a bunch of rookie cards at my parents house. I still got a few Sakic's, Mario Lemieux, Yzerman, Fuhr, Coffey, Chelios, Jagr, Hasek. I even have a Gretzky 2000 point card that I got signed by him.
aznrsx1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #29
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Gekko View Post
By the way, for the people who lived in South Van, do you guys remember sports card heaven across from the 7-11 on 57th and knight?
i always wondered how that place was able to make rent when it was still operating. the OP reminds me of me when i was in elementary school. it reminds me of this issue of beckett i had where there was ad of a kid who thought his 10 ken griffey rookie cards would increase in value and eventually put him through college.
Farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #30
Fanboy

Hmm...My Patrick Roy rookie card might be worth something.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #31
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfetched View Post
i always wondered how that place was able to make rent when it was still operating. the OP reminds me of me when i was in elementary school. it reminds me of this issue of beckett i had where there was ad of a kid who thought his 10 ken griffey rookie cards would increase in value and eventually put him through college.
Uhhh... yeah. I guess my $900k of rental properties (ok I lied, $875k) and $60k car at the ripe old age of 30 is also just a 'thought' in my head

Look, I never said this HOBBY is a money making bonanza. The whole point of this thread is to share a fun hobby that seems to be growing in popularity again. Anyways, there's bound to be smartass remarks on here so I'll leave it at that. But just keep something in mind, cars/car parts are known to be the absolute WORST investment a person can make. The depreciation far exceeds any book value to realized value difference I can ever experience from sports memorabilia
HKSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:22 AM   #32
I don't get it

Anybody interested in the 1990 score brodeur rookie graded psa10? Also have the brodeur qmjhl rookie card, mint condition.
Posted via RS Mobile
pwp type-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #33
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
ive been collecting on and off for the past 2-3 years

first year back into it i picked up an upper deck exclusive Crosby 66/100 which is probably worth 55-60 right now

cards are all about rarity, thats why series like "The Cup" which are $350 for a package of 8 cards are worth the most because you get exclusive patches and name plates which are only 1 of 1
Old 07-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #34
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
I'm not a card collector, but coincidentally after seeing this thread title, I came across this: http://canuckskeys.blogspot.com/2010...en-pack-3.html
Canucks blogger is trying to find a Linden card.
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #35
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobell View Post
what's the retail on one of those?
more than you can afford pal, ferrari
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:38 AM   #36
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

HKSR, i am with you on this topic. I restarted collecting again. Stuff from the 90's don't sell much at all, ever since 2000 when Danny Heatly rc came out, cards starting being worth something again. I find it better to just buy singles rather than a box, i find that i get crap
stereo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:18 AM   #37
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Wow. I haven't collected cards since the 90's boom. I must still have them somewhere. I had a TON. Roy rookie was probably my prized possession, although I had every Lindros card worth anything, several Bure rookies etc. Lindros stuff probably worthless now?

I have a Steve Konawalchuk error card where the back was completely blank. Not sure if it was a one-off, but every card show I went to, no one had heard of the mistake. One greaseball at a show in a hall on Scott Rd accused me of erasing the back myself lol. I guess he thought he knew of every error card out there and mine couldn't possibly be authentic if he didn't know about it. I wonder where that card is...

Posted via RS Mobile
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #38
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
My co worker just recently stumbled across some trade show in the states and saw a guy selling boxes of sports card. There were 3 boxes of old school O Pee Chee from 89 and 90. Needless to say due to it being Linden's rookie year and this guy selling each box for $5 my friend bought it for fun. We spent some time at work opening every pack and it brough back memories for sure. Seeing Linden, McLean, some other old nucks and just players where your like who the fuck was this was pretty fun.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #39
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I have Bobby Orr's rooking card

That still has to be worth at least a $1000!
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #40
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
man I get addicted big time. My problem is ebay, I get real baked and buy random shit like box's of hockey cards LOL

nothing beats that feeling of opening packs and getting wicked cards. I'm going to look right now LOL
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #41
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
I still have 3 unopened boxes of McDonald's NHL cards from '89-'90 for some reason.

Oh and a box full from the early '80's but they all have clothes-pin dents on them. hahaaa

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #42
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSR View Post
Hehe I never said I'd recover book value, I said 30% of book Ok, take for example a card I pulled recently. It's a 2007-08 Carey Price rookie card from a set called Black Diamond. Now head onto ebay, and type in as a search "carey price rookie black diamond". Click on Completed Listings and you'll see a list of recently completed transactions. As you can see it sells between $30 - $50. Book value on this card is $80. So you're looking at 40 - 60% recovery of book. Not bad right? Mind you, the cheaper stuff that are worth $6 - $10 might only fetch you $1 - $2.50, but that's still hovering around 25%. So a 30% recovery is realistic. Try another more recent card like "John Tavares rookie young gun". Book is also $80 The more rare and expensive the card, the higher your recovery. There are cards out there that are numbered 1 out of 1! (yes, 1 in the whole world).

If any of you guys are interested and wanna see how much the hobby has actually progressed (I was surprised myself), check out sportscardforum.com. It's a forum dedicated to sports card trading/buying/selling. You'll see it's as large, if not a larger community than Revscene lol!

Anyways, just thought I'd start this topic to see if there were any other collectors out there these days. I always found trading was a part of the fun

PS - the $4000 book value I mentioned is ONLY the 'special' cards (ie. inserts, rookies). I get lots of commons too. BUT, the best part about buying boxes nowadays is that set building is WAY easier! One box of black diamond and I had a whole base set already!
A bit of research behind an educated post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Your $4000 of "book value" is actually $5 in "real value" if that

Please prove me wrong, and sell those cards for $4000
Shit talking asshole with unvaluable opinion.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #43
Banned (BBM)

used to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars down the drain buying those lame ass cards, basketball and other bs cards.

Book value vs reality...

i think reality owns it hands down
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #44
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
used to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars down the drain buying those lame ass cards, basketball and other bs cards.

Book value vs reality...

i think reality owns it hands down
Reality is this:

I recently bought a 'single' card for $250. It is a Crosby card that has a book value of $400. Guess what? Reality check, I sold it for $320 for a net $70 gain. Do a little research before spouting off about reality. Go buy a front lip for a car for $250 and just try flipping it for $320 lol
Old 10-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #45
Banned (BBM)

cool, good for you

keep on buying cards
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #46
I don't get it

Thanks, I will.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #47
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
It really is what someone is willing to pay for it.

I have the second card down on this link (Dimaggio rookie) mind you not even close to this condition. I'd be lucky to get $2000 for it. I'm just going to hang on to it and give it to my son some day.

http://www.bmwcards.com/top30.htm

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #48
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Damn. I actually started collecting last december-ish. Can anyone recommend me a good set? I started my collection with the Upper Deck mvp series, but was wondering what else I should delve into.
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #49
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
rookie sets are worth the most these days. Not full sets tho only go for certain cards.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #50
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Damn yous RS. Now I'm considering buying some hockey cards lol
Posted via RS Mobile
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote