REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Hockey card comeback? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/618672-hockey-card-comeback.html)

HKSR 06-29-2010 08:54 PM

Hockey card comeback?

So who here is back into collecting hockey cards? Come on... I know there's some of you out there ;) I'll be honest, I just got back into it a month ago after a 15 year break... and have noticed more and more people are getting back into it. Just thought I'd see who else might be back into the hobby. All I gotta say is I am very impressed in the quality and value of modern day cards! Especially autographed and jersey cards. To those in the loop, a 2005-06 Crosby rookie for $10k? Ovechkin for $4k? I would have never thought any modern day card would have that kinda book value lol

PS - for those wondering, those cards from the early to mid 90s are still pretty much worthless except for a few oddballs like a Brodeur RC from 1990-91 :)

The_AK 06-29-2010 08:56 PM

nah i dont think so

Tim Budong 06-29-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKSR (Post 7010369)
So who here is back into collecting hockey cards? Come on... I know there's some of you out there ;) I'll be honest, I just got back into it a month ago after a 15 year break... and have noticed more and more people are getting back into it. Just thought I'd see who else might be back into the hobby. All I gotta say is I am very impressed in the quality and value of modern day cards! Especially autographed and jersey cards. To those in the loop, a 2005-06 Crosby rookie for $10k? Ovechkin for $4k? I would have never thought any modern day card would have that kinda book value lol

PS - for those wondering, those cards from the early to mid 90s are still pretty much worthless except for a few oddballs like a Brodeur RC from 1990-91 :)

these cards never did go away, they were alwys here, you have crosby/ovechkin to thank for their revival though.

dinamix 06-29-2010 08:59 PM

cards are just dust collectors. $5 a pack is a ripoff nowadays. use to collect these but i realized theres really no point. i'd rather spend the money on my car or a craigslist massage

MR_BIGGS 06-29-2010 09:07 PM

Do they still come with gum?

I remember I had a Jim Carey card after he won the Vezina. Card was worth 80 bucks...boy did that card lose value quick.

murd0c 06-29-2010 09:11 PM

I have some crazy cards, I had a tripple patch brodeur card numbered out of 10 and it got stolen dammit. I havent bought any cards for a while tho but I have a shit ton.

mickz 06-29-2010 09:11 PM

Book value is negligible, at the end of the day sports memorabilia is only worth as much as what someones willing to pay.

I'd consider myself a casual collector but my main thing is I only collect players I liked as a kid, I don't really care about the value or rarity of the cards.

LUUUUUUUU 06-29-2010 09:12 PM

i stopped collecting when they started charging over $5-8 per pack back in the late 90s

HKSR 06-29-2010 09:22 PM

Its been an interesting and fun month of collecting so far. I've actually shifted my funds from modding cars over to the cards. At the least, this hobby is definitely cheaper ... plus I've already racked up over $4000 in book value of cards (pure luck)... even if I only recover 30%, it's still $1200... I'll actually make a bit of money lol! If I went with my original plan of buying 20" Vossens for my G37x, then I think I would have lost $1200 the second I drove an inch ;)

Presto 06-29-2010 09:35 PM

I realized hockey cards were dead when I bought a pack of O-Pee-Chee, and it came with an individually sealed piece of gum in a pack. Nothin' beats those days of shelling out 35c for a pack of cards with that powdery piece of mouth-cutting gum, and the cards smelled like bubble gum. Now they smell like glossy paper :P

Vinny G 06-29-2010 10:06 PM

My Charizard was supposed to be worth $60 too.

AzNightmare 06-29-2010 10:07 PM

I'm only interested in the hard rock gum. lol

BlackZRoadster 06-29-2010 10:20 PM

how much is a selanne rookie card? i think thats my best card

SkinnyPupp 06-29-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKSR (Post 7010404)
Its been an interesting and fun month of collecting so far. I've actually shifted my funds from modding cars over to the cards. At the least, this hobby is definitely cheaper ... plus I've already racked up over $4000 in book value of cards (pure luck)... even if I only recover 30%, it's still $1200... I'll actually make a bit of money lol! If I went with my original plan of buying 20" Vossens for my G37x, then I think I would have lost $1200 the second I drove an inch ;)

Your $4000 of "book value" is actually $5 in "real value" if that

Please prove me wrong, and sell those cards for $4000 :)

BaoXu 06-29-2010 10:24 PM

some lunatic might pay that much in an ebay auction

G 06-29-2010 10:56 PM

I have a Pavel Bure rookie card if anyone is interested :D And also a Kobe Bryant rookie card too :)

tacobell 06-29-2010 10:59 PM

what's the retail on one of those?

fishing666 06-29-2010 11:00 PM

book value is based on the retail price of the cards and the probability of getting it.

of course most people would rather gamble their money away by obtaining random cards than purchase the card itself

Harvey Specter 06-29-2010 11:07 PM

Cards in general will never make a comeback or if they ever do, they'll never be as big as they were say 10-15 years ago. We live in a different age now compared to say 15 years ago when kids didn't have cell phones and other devices and collecting cards and even comic books was cool. Now kids in elementary school are rocking iphone and other portable devices, good luck getting them hooked on what they would perceive as lame hockey cards.

By the way, for the people who lived in South Van, do you guys remember sports card heaven across from the 7-11 on 57th and knight?

eurochevy 06-29-2010 11:23 PM

its like hotwheels or w/e ..will never be the same..honestly newer generations don't give a crap about thoughs sorts of things (its like comics for example even i never collected them but they used to be worth huge money)...somethings only worth what it is when people that origionaly grew up with the stuff says its worth and starts collecting it again like 20-30 years down the line

Harvey Specter 06-29-2010 11:26 PM

^
I still remember going with my mom to Zellers and buying hot wheels, lol. God, I had like a box full of them. I also remember buying model planes with the little paint bottles and spending days building them. Good times.

Manic! 06-29-2010 11:38 PM

Got a Gretzky rookie (technically my brothers )

Also got a bunch of 1990 O-Pee-Chee hockey card packs with gum still in them.

Leopold Stotch 06-30-2010 02:37 AM

Thanks

you made me go through my binder full of Mcdonalds Hockey Cards

HKSR 06-30-2010 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7010495)
Your $4000 of "book value" is actually $5 in "real value" if that

Please prove me wrong, and sell those cards for $4000 :)

Hehe I never said I'd recover book value, I said 30% of book ;) Ok, take for example a card I pulled recently. It's a 2007-08 Carey Price rookie card from a set called Black Diamond. Now head onto ebay, and type in as a search "carey price rookie black diamond". Click on Completed Listings and you'll see a list of recently completed transactions. As you can see it sells between $30 - $50. Book value on this card is $80. So you're looking at 40 - 60% recovery of book. Not bad right? Mind you, the cheaper stuff that are worth $6 - $10 might only fetch you $1 - $2.50, but that's still hovering around 25%. So a 30% recovery is realistic. Try another more recent card like "John Tavares rookie young gun". Book is also $80 :) The more rare and expensive the card, the higher your recovery. There are cards out there that are numbered 1 out of 1! (yes, 1 in the whole world).

If any of you guys are interested and wanna see how much the hobby has actually progressed (I was surprised myself), check out sportscardforum.com. It's a forum dedicated to sports card trading/buying/selling. You'll see it's as large, if not a larger community than Revscene lol!

Anyways, just thought I'd start this topic to see if there were any other collectors out there these days. I always found trading was a part of the fun :)

PS - the $4000 book value I mentioned is ONLY the 'special' cards (ie. inserts, rookies). I get lots of commons too. BUT, the best part about buying boxes nowadays is that set building is WAY easier! One box of black diamond and I had a whole base set already!

HKSR 06-30-2010 07:35 AM

lol, judging on the cards being thrown out on this forum, I can tell we're all the collectors from the early 90s (Bure RC, Selanne RC, Kobe RC ;) )... they generally aren't worth much. I'd check that Kobe tho... he's up there in the upper echelon of cards I would think... similar to Crosby and Ovechkin. It might be worth a fair amount (I don't have a guide for basketball cards, otherwise I'd check for ya).