REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:09 AM   #1
Banned (BBM)

Box 2 VI

so tonight i got pulled over by a cop. apperently i cut her off at an intersection. about 2 km down the road i pulled into a parking lot and thats where she through on the cherries. so i gave her my licence and reg. she comes back to me with a ticket "drive without due care" tbh i think she was having a bad day because i did not even come close to cutting her off. long story short she also gave me a box 2 VI. now i go to hand her the vi sheet that has been completed and passed 3 months prior and tried explaining this to her, her exact words were "i dont care" and issued it anyway. now my question is do i still need to get a vi done? because when i had the first one done they told me its good for 1 year?.
Advertisement
wolfcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:44 AM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Yes, it still needs to be done. It will go onto the vehicle information screen and if its outstanding after the 30 days and your vehicle is run, its a nasty $598 fine for fail to comply with order and a box #1.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
Banned (BBM)

so vi being good for 1 year is bs? i dont understand why they would state that if i got another vi that i could just use the previous vi. can vi's be disputed? cause in all honestly i dont think what the officer did was right or fair. abusing power because what ever reason is bs.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Dealing with the mechanical items only...

"Notifications and orders
25.08 (1) Despite an inspection certificate being in force, the director or a peace officer may, on having reasonable and probable grounds to believe that a vehicle may not comply with the standards, notify the owner or operator of a vehicle to present it for inspection to a designated inspection facility within the period set out in the notification."

The inspection is "good' for a year IF the inspection done in the first place was a proper one and there have been no changes since then. Your tires could have been OK 11 months ago but are bald now, your front end could have been OK 7 months ago but is loose now...you get the idea.

You have not told us what items were of concern...is your vehicle 100% legal and unmodded since a proper legal inspection was done? Not one thing has changed?

Didn't even come close to cutting a Cop off ? Not a good way to make friends with the lady with a ticket book. We're sure there is more to this story. As Sho BC said, ignore the VI at your financial peril.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

the rule of thumb is if u see a cop, just stay behind lol....
and what was the VI for anyway? the cop must have seen something
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Fyi, vi's can't be disputed. And they can issue another one as little as 5 minutes after your last one if they think that it isn't safe. Especially if they have reason to believe the car isn't stock or the shop was shady and just passed you. Went through this a couple months ago with my brother and one of our friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Banned (BBM)

not one thing has changed on the vehicle. she issued the vi for the exhaust and car being too low, which they're not. i tried to reason with her, she would'nt listen to anything i had to say, i was very polite.

my financial situation isnt very good right now and i dont have the money to pay for another vi.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
RS Peace Officer

So you're telling us that no part of your vehicle is lower than the rims and that your exhaust has a full cat as originally from the factory and it is less than 83 db and meets every one of these conditions?

Muffler
7.03 (1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler consisting of a series of pipes or chambers which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise.

Cut-outs prohibited
(2) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine when the muffler with which the vehicle is equipped is cut out or disconnected from the engine.

Part removal prohibited
(3) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler from which has been removed any baffle plate or other part.

Alteration prohibited
(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.

Noise increase or flames prohibited
(5) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler or exhaust system to which is attached any device which increases the noise of the expulsion of the gases from the engine or allows a flame to be emitted from the exhaust system.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #9

Um, so, rotaries are illegal I guess?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #10

If you're referring to Rotary engines, there is nothing in that section that says that they are illegal. Vehicles equipped with Rotary engines still come with an exhaust system, including mufflers, from the factory. That section simply says that altering that system to remove any part of it or to make the noise level increased or to emit flames, etc etc etc
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 07-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
(5) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler or exhaust system to which is attached any device which increases the noise of the expulsion of the gases from the engine or allows a flame to be emitted from the exhaust system.
I was making a joke about this section sorry it didn't come across that way. My brother's Tii has the stock cat and exhaust system in and still shoots fireballs lol

Quote:
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #12

Ah... long, busy day. Its still going right over my head.

*edit to your edit*
i see.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #13

Haha sorry, I realized that it still probably wasn't clear what I was joking about

Quote:
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Old 07-03-2010, 02:24 AM   #14
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
So you're telling us that no part of your vehicle is lower than the rims and that your exhaust has a full cat as originally from the factory and it is less than 83 db and meets every one of these conditions?

Muffler
7.03 (1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler consisting of a series of pipes or chambers which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise.

Cut-outs prohibited
(2) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine when the muffler with which the vehicle is equipped is cut out or disconnected from the engine.

Part removal prohibited
(3) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler from which has been removed any baffle plate or other part.

Alteration prohibited
(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.

that is correct.!
Old 07-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #15
14 dolla balla & Bradford Chow aint got nothing on me!

not the first time i've seen cops try to hand out Vis for no reason. I have a stock exhaust on my car right now and the cop told me that it was illegal. lolololol, you can't really dispute the vi, but you can go to court for it like i did
XtC-604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
I was making a joke about this section sorry it didn't come across that way. My brother's Tii has the stock cat and exhaust system in and still shoots fireballs lol
I used to drive a 1-ton cube van for work that was gasoline/natural gas dual-fuel, except something was wrong with the setup and you could make it blow fireballs out the exhaust with a carefully orchestrated switch from CNG to gasoline while revving and forcing a downshift. Completely stock exhaust, too

My co-worker was a master at it. We were driving from Whistler Village to Creekside late at night once and some Spandex-wrapped arsehole cyclist was clogging up the road while pretending to go really fast... we finally got the chance to pass, so buddy punched it past the bike, then worked the switch just as we were going by... we were no more than 10 feet ahead of the dweeb when the van went BOOM and shot a three-foot blue flame out the pipe, right in front of the bike... funniest thing you ever saw, this bike swerving all over the place in the gravel on the side of the road...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #17
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
we're in an eternal struggle with cops that are either having "bad days" or just plain enforcing their own interpenetration of the law simply because they can.

just today my gf was telling me a cop came into her office and he was telling her about what he does when he's driving around in his cruiser. Basically if he sees someone that he thinks may be a trouble maker, people with tattoos, Ed hardy clothes hats and Versace glasses (not even making a joke here, he literally used these examples)
...... says he will follow them running their plates, and even if they come out clean, no warrants, outstanding tickets, etc.... he will still pull them over just to check them out, and depending on how courteous they are to him, he will either ticket them or let them off with a warning.

it sucks, but it is what it is, just take your ticket and let the courts handle it, you will never win in a face to face situation with a cop even if you're 100% correct
Old 07-04-2010, 02:18 AM   #18
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
we're in an eternal struggle with cops that are either having "bad days" or just plain enforcing their own interpenetration of the law simply because they can.

just today my gf was telling me a cop came into her office and he was telling her about what he does when he's driving around in his cruiser. Basically if he sees someone that he thinks may be a trouble maker, people with tattoos, Ed hardy clothes hats and Versace glasses (not even making a joke here, he literally used these examples)
...... says he will follow them running their plates, and even if they come out clean, no warrants, outstanding tickets, etc.... he will still pull them over just to check them out, and depending on how courteous they are to him, he will either ticket them or let them off with a warning.

it sucks, but it is what it is, just take your ticket and let the courts handle it, you will never win in a face to face situation with a cop even if you're 100% correct
Ticket for what?

For wearing douchebag clothing?
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:23 AM   #19
Banned (BBM)

yup im disputing the ticket. she does not have any rights to give me the ticket or have any evidence to believe that i was doing anything wrong. ill fight it in court and win as per usual. funny thing is people outside the bar were making fun of this cop after she ticketed me. she was damn close to being a midget. i really wonder how she got the job, any kid could knock her out hahahah.!
Old 07-04-2010, 03:48 AM   #20
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
post pictures of your car right now?
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #21
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

more importantly, post pics of midget cop
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:23 AM   #22
Banned (BBM)

white civic in the middle

Old 07-07-2010, 05:37 AM   #23
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Once you get this inspection.. what happends your good.. or do you have to show it to someone (Cop that issued you the ticket? or ICBC?)

I just got a Box 2 yesterday..
Old 07-07-2010, 06:17 AM   #24
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_FTW View Post
Once you get this inspection.. what happends your good.. or do you have to show it to someone (Cop that issued you the ticket? or ICBC?)

I just got a Box 2 yesterday..
You're good keep it in your car
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #25
RS Peace Officer

Make sure that you keep the inspection sheet & the sticker in your vehicle for a year. You must do that...and sometimes the inspector's do NOT forward their paperwork...I have stopped inspected cars that had ALL the paperwork & the inspector never forwarded their copies to MVB. If stopped and asked for the pass sheet & sticker you must produce them. ...and do not modify your vehicle from what it was when it passed the inspection...that is a charge for "fail to maintian to standards" and likely another VI at least. Good luck.