REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Got fined for trespassing [ First fine/ticket ever ] (https://www.revscene.net/forums/619005-got-fined-trespassing-%5B-first-fine-ticket-ever-%5D.html)

Esprit 07-04-2010 03:38 PM

Got fined for trespassing [ First fine/ticket ever ]

Ok so a few nights ago me and a couple friends were drinking in this under construction apartment which had no fences at all it was so vulnerable so we decided to head in which is obviously not right. I guess we were being a loud and cops came. They told us to come down and that they were the Vancouver Police Department and they had a dog down there. We cooperated nicely the cops liked us we were laughing and talking to each other for a good 30 minutes or so. After the cops checked our names we were clean and they gave us fines for trespassing. There was also a fine for underage in possession of liquor which they crossed out because they felt like we cooperated and was no threat or something like that.

I wish it was still school so I could ask my socials teacher what I could do to reduce or remove the fine. Which is why I'm here today on revscene. I'm willing to pay its just that if I could reduce or remove why not? All I know is if we pay within 30 days its reduced to 90$ if not its 115$. I heard something about disputing but I don't know if its possible to dispute lol.

Well I'm no expert in these fields so help me out guys.

Thanks in advance RS

Cheers Esprit.

mkchoi0801 07-04-2010 03:47 PM

Assuming that these tickets work the same way as traffic tickets, you can choose to dispute the ticket, but when you go to court, don't blame me if the cop adds another penalty (possession of liquor) for wasting his time. From what I read, it looks like you WERE trespassing, so it doesn't look like you can argue your way out of it anyways.

hsh4 07-04-2010 04:46 PM

don't even waste your time in arguing the chances of the fine getting reduced is slim

Fafine 07-04-2010 06:22 PM

when you dispute cant you dispute the fine amount? i rem disputing my traffic ticket and she asked if i wanted to dispute the offence or the fined amount?

Vale46Rossi 07-04-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafine (Post 7015999)
when you dispute cant you dispute the fine amount? i rem disputing my traffic ticket and she asked if i wanted to dispute the offence or the fined amount?

This is true, yes you can but if you had a lot of fun with your friends what is 90 bucks for a night out and this will be a good memory for you guys

mb_ 07-04-2010 11:03 PM

If I were you I'd just pay it. You're not me so obviously you might think differently than I do.

Rich Sandor 07-05-2010 09:34 AM

ah young grasshoppa.. so much to learn.

#1 when breaking the law, don't call attention to yourself
#2 when caught breaking the law, and the police give you a break, don't dispute it.
#3 disputing fines is for when you are actually innocent, not to weasel out of paying.
#4 if you already got a reduced fine, it will not get reduced further.

6793026 07-05-2010 10:10 AM

^ i agree the top three but the last one is not valid.

there are people who receives fines and cant financially pay for a fine eg// speeding. this is when the prosecutor (might be the wrong terminalogy) will make a 'deal' with you and reduce your fine if you in fact does have reason.

Gumby 07-05-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor (Post 7016633)
#3 disputing fines is for when you are actually innocent, not to weasel out of paying.

If you were truly innocent, you'd dispute the charge and not the fine, no?

CP.AR 07-05-2010 01:46 PM

let it be a lesson, bite the bullet and pay the full fine.

You knew it was wrong to enter the construction site, however you still did it.

Rich Sandor 07-05-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 7016674)
^ i agree the top three but the last one is not valid.

there are people who receives fines and cant financially pay for a fine eg// speeding. this is when the prosecutor (might be the wrong terminalogy) will make a 'deal' with you and reduce your fine if you in fact does have reason.

This is a good point, but only if the fine is actually negotiable. Speeding fines are never reduced in traffic court.

Rich Sandor 07-05-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 7016848)
If you were truly innocent, you'd dispute the charge and not the fine, no?

Yes, that's what I meant.

Although more specifically, they say you are disputing the Fine AMOUNT.

zulutango 07-06-2010 08:27 AM

I'm not aware of any VT to be issued under the MVA or Regs for tresspassing so it must be a Municipal bylaw ticket? Suggest you contact read the info on the ticket and follow any instructions there.

filth 03-05-2011 03:10 PM

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I recently got a ticket too. Is it possible to reduce the amount of the ticket? Its $100 for Jay Walking.

Fafine 03-05-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filth (Post 7330313)
Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I recently got a ticket too. Is it possible to reduce the amount of the ticket? Its $100 for Jay Walking.

:fullofwin:

isnt there a reduced price for paying within 15 days?

Jgresch 03-05-2011 03:24 PM

$100? Seriously? Is it actually worth your time to try and get it reduced? Even if you make minimum wage, the time/effort it would take to have it reduced say $50, would not be worth it. It's 100 bucks, just pay it and pick up a couple extra hours at work.
Posted via RS Mobile

skidmark 03-05-2011 07:48 PM

Is your jaywalking ticket a provincial violation ticket or a bylaw ticket?

filth 03-06-2011 01:43 PM

I think it's bylaw, i'm going to pay the fine regardless but again if i can get it reduced then why not? Does anyone know any steps to doing this. If it is really tedious then ill just pay the full $100.

TIA