REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Dragonboating - Any Teams Recruiting Still? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/619370-dragonboating-any-teams-recruiting-still.html)

RabidRat 07-08-2010 06:15 PM

Dragonboating - Any Teams Recruiting Still?

I think I saw a thread on dragonboating on here before, and I was hoping maybe some of you in the community might still be around.

I'm wondering what the policy is on joining a team at this point. I realize it must be the off season right now, with Alcan having completed and all, but maybe there are some casual events still going on? Are there any teams that would take on new people right now or would we have to wait til the start of the next season?

My buddy and I are both 24, in pretty good shape, and we're looking for a recreational team in their early-mid 20's, maybe meet a few people and try the sport out. We can commit to twice a week for the rest of the summer if need be.

Thanks!

RacePace 07-13-2010 11:23 AM

Post on http://dragonboatwest.net and I'm sure a team will pick you up. After Alcan, there's still a bunch of festivals that go on, like going to Victoria, Penticton, Kelowna. If you're looking to get on a recreational team, joining half way into the season isn't too big a deal as the sport can be picked up pretty quickly if you go to practice often.

xXDragonXx 07-13-2010 10:10 PM

Yeah the DB season is still going on (and strong), if not picking up more so after Alcan with summer coming along & the other festivals coming up.

DB is definitely a sport where you can get the basic elements down but like kayaking, running, cycling with constant and similar actions... there's a lot to do to refine your technique and strengthen your muscles. As well, because Dragon Boat is very team extensive, a lot of "blending" and "timing" issues will occur that you'll get used to with practice.

Definitely a great sport to get into.. going into my 6th year of it and I'm loving it more so than when I started.

A funny and common DB phrase is this..

1st year - Still new and learning the sport but getting the hang of the basic elements
2nd year - You've grasp the basic elements of paddling and you begin to offer advice to your teammates even though they've been paddling longer than you
3rd year - You're still offering advice to your teammates but you're starting to think there's more to it than you think.
4th year - You realize THERE IS more to it than you think, and you start asking and trying to gain as much info. as possible. You also begin to lay off on the criticisms/suggestions to your teammates
5th year - You're starting to learn and refine your skills + strengths. You also stay quiet but offer advice when it's asked.

Some people do stay in certain years for certain lengths, but that seems to be the general trend amongst paddlers =P

RabidRat 07-14-2010 10:16 PM

Thanks guys for the advice =).

Are there other recruiting forums or is dragonboatwest pretty much the main one?

RacePace 07-15-2010 07:35 AM

dragonboatwest is the only one for Vancouver

RacePace 07-15-2010 07:08 PM

someone from Red Fusion replied to your post, I think someone on here is from Red Fusion, I don't remember who though

NimbeeTT 08-16-2010 02:22 PM

THere's a DB festival at Steveston next weekend, Aug 21-22
Registrations still open for drop in paddlers, obviously this is just for fun if you just wanna get back on the water. I have no idea what team i'm gonna get put on, but at least I get a chance to paddle again.

Register at www.dragonzone.ca/code/steveston/register.php
It's 34$ registration fee for individuals.
I can send the race registration package with the race details if you need it.