REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
"Haven't you got anything better to do?" This was a common response from drivers after being told that they had been stopped for a traffic rule infraction. "Why aren't you out catching real criminals?"
skidmark, I agree with this most of the time - until I see a speed trap setup somewhere that is just a cash grab.

Case in point: south of Oak street bridge. Very low accident rate, yet a prefect spot to catch people cause traffic flows at 80-100 when the limit is 60 on the bridge and doesn't change to 70 till about the Cambie overpass.

If I was caught there I would certainly be asking the officers if they have anything better to do. There's lots of other high accident rate intersections they could be setup at and making a difference to people's driving habits.

I nolonger speed on King Ed near the private schools (Granville) cause I've seen speed traps setup enough that I don't want to get caught. So its not like I disagree on speed traps and their merit - when they are used properly and not just as a cash grab.
Advertisement
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #27
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Honestly, what's a waste of my time? When they pull me over for a signal/brake bulb out at 2am, and then ask me to change it AFTER I told them that it just went out. Seriously. it's 2am. Where am I gonna get a bulb?

That's actually minor. The one that really bugs me is when they ask me if my front windows are tinted and then ask me to roll them up.

I don't have any tinted windows out front, and who tints the driver's window and not the passenger's??!?!?!

Last edited by skidmark; 07-12-2010 at 08:59 PM.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #28
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
[

That's actually minor. The one that really bugs me is when they ask me if my front windows are tinted and then ask me to roll them up.

I don't have any tinted windows out front, and who the hell tints the driver's window and not the passenger's??!?!?![/QUOTE]

I have run across it on occasion.

Last edited by skidmark; 07-12-2010 at 08:59 PM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #29

.......O_o you freakin serious?

why would someone do that..........eeeeewwwww........

Oh one more thing: PARKING LOTS. NOT RACE TRACKS!!!!!
Anyone that's been to the Blenz at #3 and Blundell in Richmond knows, that ppl drive like idiots in and out of there. Especially some kid that sent his mom's BMW 335 airborne after impacting a lot curb at 80+kph.....

Actually. I hope he reads what I just said. Biggest loser. ever.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #30
I bringith the lowerballerith

Garden City and Blundell, or No 3 Rd and Ackroyd? No Blenz at 3 and Blundell. But you're right about both lots.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
Garden City and Blundell, or No 3 Rd and Ackroyd? No Blenz at 3 and Blundell. But you're right about both lots.
Sorry I meant 3 and Westminster. Just complete idiots driving in, out and around there.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #32
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

GLP is good, but needs an obvious revamp; Starting with the people who are attempting to teach the New Driver. Rather than more restrictions for New drivers, how about we restrict and regulate who is teaching them through testing of their teaching ability?

The road education of most teaching drivers is null. Seems strange that an L driver doesn't need to be taught by someone who has also passed written testing, but simply by anyone who holds a full license. This would work if all drivers over 45 (average age of a parent teaching their son/daughter) had gone through the GLP, but they didn't. If they didn't hit anything while driving around the block 2 times they were given their piece of paper to control their 3000lb chunk of steel. That's great, but in all honesty they have very limited knowledge of actual road rules and laws these days. Sure, driving experience is really the only way to become a safer driver, but when it comes to teaching a new driver, shouldn't the knowledge and education given to the learner be paramount & understood/known by both? Those 2 things will prove more valuable to a learning driver who is inexperienced, however many older experienced drivers can't communicate them or simply don't know themselves.

Perhaps it's time to test the people teaching how to drive. You need to pass a basic 50 questions to get your L, however the person instructing the Learner is simply presumed to know this information. Really? I can't recall my father EVER making a right shoulder check when turning @ a light, nor cluing me in that I should be also. (Reason for my first & only N test failure 8 years ago) I'm not even going to touch "Turning into whatever bloody lane you want" when turning left or right, or changing lanes in a intersection. I was taught more about the road from a book than from my father with 25 years of Class 1 driving experience.

Now as for going with the flow of traffic & not going more than 10+, that's difficult when around middle age men in family vans and 30 something year old women in SUV's. These people have a heavier left foot than most elephants; not to mention the idea that Construction Zone speeds are simply arbitrary figures to these self-righteous road hazards. Hate to break it but 60km/h construction zone doesn't means honk, highbeam then cut off the car not doing 85. I'm not even going to get started on "The Mary Hill Speedway..."
iwbtib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #33

BTW, I was pulled over this morning about 2 blocks from work for "not wearing my seat belt and putting it on after". (I had one on).

THAT got me to give the officer a comment or 2 about doing something else better.

pfft. Made me late for work too
Old 07-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #34
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

LOL did you get a ticket for that?
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #35

yeah. I made the comment after the ticket. I wasn't impressed because she was giving me attitude. I said something a bit inappropriate.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #36
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
Most non-freeway traffic sections focus more on intersection-type infractions (such as your example of turning into the wrong lane) than speeding infractions.
I got the numbers back from ICBC for contraventions of the MVA section that deals with turning into the wrong lane.

Unfortunately they requested that I not share the information with a third party, but what I can say is the numbers of tickets for this infraction are extremely low compared to the numbers of speeding tickets issued. (200,000+ in 2005)

Most likely this type of sloppy, careless act is only ticketed for once the maneuver has contributed to a collision.

The trouble is, the driving attitude that is responsible for sloppy maneuvers like that sticks with the person no matter where they go.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #37
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
BTW, I was pulled over this morning about 2 blocks from work for "not wearing my seat belt and putting it on after". (I had one on).
I wonder how anybody can successfully defend themselves over a ticket like that.

It's like the other thread where someone's mother was accused of talking on a phone when she wasn't, and proof from the phone company that there were no calls at that time wouldn't help in case she had another phone hidden away.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:30 AM   #38

I dunno. We'll find out in a year.

I was pretty annoyed.