REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 07-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
A serious man

Before I give my review of this movie, I have to warn you about the back ground. It's a black comedy, but most importantly, it was done entirely by Joel and Ethan Coen. The "coen brothers' did a few films for those who are die-hard movie goers should recognize their work eg// No Country For Old Men, O Brother, Where Art Thou? Fargo, Burn After Reading etc.

I've seen all their films except O Brother where art thou but they have a common black comedy film and you sort of have to THINK about what's going on. Those who've seen his previous film might agree.

A serious man is seriously a boring movie. The first scene of the movie doesn't even TIE into the entire movie and you'll leave the theater totally unsatisfied. This is 99% of the reception. I highly doubt anyone of you would appreciate the movie unless you have watched the movie.

Yes, the movie is a bit weird, it talks about Michael Stuhlbarg who plays Larry Gopnik. He's Jewish with Danny (his son) getting his bar mitzvah, along with his wife leaving him, him having issues with a korean student trying to bribe him and lastly, this major issue with getting his tenure working at the university for 10 years.

The movie is a bit slow and it seems like he ain't getting no where and it's at the very end of the movie in which you'll understand what's going on.

For those who have seen the movie, I'll explain the black comedy of the movie so we can all discuss and it'll make you appreciate the movie a bit more.

In the jew culture, it's very important that you get your bar mitzvah it's when a child turns 12. It's when he gets his manhood recognized. Jewish is very strong about how they will pass on bad sins / karma towards the next generation. at the entire time, larry (the main character) is battling NOT taking the bribe and always focus on living a life following the jewish teaching. He's very focused on how God has it's plans and even though so many much negative shit is bring thrown on him that he's still focused on the positive.

At the VERY VERY end of the movie, he gets a bill for 3000 for lawyer's fees and that's when he went and changed the grades and accepted the bribe. ONCE that happen, he gets a phone call from the doctors from his "test results' and his son is suddenly being called to evacuate the school as a HUGE tornado is coming towards the school.

I hope this provides some of you the "wtf just happened" at the end of the movie and sort of brings to light what the Coen brothers is trying to do.

If you liked movies like "happy go lucky" "an Education" and all other Coen brothers movie, you will appreciate the art of Coen brothers.
if you're into action, you won't like this.
Movie go-ers sort have follows the Coen brothers 8.5 /10
acting 8/10
Advertisement
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,574 Times in 4,294 Posts
use spoiler tags dammit!!!
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
dude, the movie was out in 2009, no one posted up a review for eons. No point putting spoilers. If you're not a Coen fan, there's really no reason for you to watch it.

Seriously, NO one will appreciate the movie unless I've explained what I've put on here.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Old movie is old. No spoiler tags necessary, IMO...especially since you could've stopped reading after "Before I give my review..."

Although this is REVscene...most people usually don't watch movies like A Serious Man here...
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote