REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Driving without drivers license? (lost) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/619513-driving-without-drivers-license-lost.html)

LuHua 07-10-2010 06:48 PM

Driving without drivers license? (lost)

So I lost my drivers license card somewhere, I'm wondering if there's some way that I can legally drive without it? My license does not expire for another 4+ years, I remember my number, and I have a paper license from my road test on May 3rd. I have an obligation quite a distance away from where I live, and the icbc offices don't open until Monday. So. Am I out of luck?

By the way, this would be in Vancouver, BC. Thanks in advance!
Posted via RS Mobile

mkchoi0801 07-10-2010 08:02 PM

There won't be a serious problem, except cops can give you a ticket for not having your license on you. I think it's around $88, no DPP. Also, your paper license will have expired by now, so might as well throw it away cuz it's useless.

Inaii 07-10-2010 08:05 PM

I think if you give them all your info, ie. drivers license #, home address, full name and birthdate, they usually just tell you to go get it and take it to the precinct (is that the right word?) where the officer works from to prove who you are and that your license isn't expired/revoked.

Although if you're a douche to them, they could probably give you a ticket and tow you since it's not legal to drive without one.

mkchoi0801 07-10-2010 08:28 PM

So in conclusion, it will be worth the trouble to go get another license.

LuHua 07-10-2010 08:44 PM

Oh I'll definitely get a new license asap, it's just that unfortunately I need to drive before the icbc office opens on Monday x.x
Posted via RS Mobile

sho_bc 07-10-2010 08:53 PM

When does your temporary DL (yellow paper) expire? You may technically still be able to use it (if it hasn't expired).

The charge is "Fail to Produce DL" with a fine of $81. I believe Drivers Services Centers are still open on the weekends? I know the one in Metrotown is.

Drive smart and you won't get pulled over/have anything to worry about. I've forgotten my wallet a few times over the years. I don't mind the $56 fine (paying early & getting the $25 off) for the inconvenience I've caused whoever pulls me over and the inconvenience I'd have already caused myself at that point. Mind you, the few times I've forgotten my wallet, I haven't been pulled over.

mkchoi0801 07-10-2010 08:56 PM

I thought all yellow paper licenses were only good for a month.

sho_bc 07-10-2010 08:58 PM

Its been a long time since I've had one, so I couldn't remember how long they lasted. With the way our postal system works, I'd hope the new licence would get to where it needs to be in time, but I wouldn't be surprised if it needed close to, if not more than, the full month with regular post.

mkchoi0801 07-10-2010 09:14 PM

They tell you that the license should be mailed within 1-2 weeks, and tell you to come back if you haven't received one by then. I'm waiting for mine actually... been 2 and a half weeks and still not here.

LuHua 07-10-2010 09:32 PM

My paper license seems to have expired exactly one week ago...I suppose I should just play it safe and spend the extra time in transit. We'll see.

By the way, sho, you wouldn't happen to be an officer would you? haha

sho_bc 07-10-2010 09:53 PM

Yes, I am. I am also human and forget my wallet at home/work sometimes. It doesn't help that I use a different wallet for work as I do for day-to-day. But, if I were to drive in such a way that got me pulled over, I would pay any tickets deserved/earned by the way I was driving.

....and for those who are sitting there thinking that police never ticket police, you're wrong. ;)

LuHua 07-10-2010 10:14 PM

Very nice answer, haha.
Thank you guys for all the replies!

BallPeenHammer2 07-11-2010 04:14 AM

Why not call the precinct and ask them?

I've lost my license before when my wallet had been stolen, and I used to just explain to the officers that well, it was stolen and reported. When monday rolls around, get another temporary one (yellow) while you wait for them to mail your new one. That should suffice.