REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
c32
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

is it illegal to carry a pocket knife on you or in your vehicle?

sorry for the stupid question but is it okay to carry a pocket knife around just incase you need it for an emergancy(not to kill someone), or maybe to have one in the car? for example like a bear was attacking your buddy up in the mountains what can you do?
Advertisement
c32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
I don't get it

you would be better off using bear spray haha, I think there is a certain size you can carry and it cant be spring operated??

"Certain knives are designated as 'prohibited weapons' pursuant to the Criminal Code of Canada. Section 84(1) defines such knives as "a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife"
yamahar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
A pocket knife isn't going to help you against a bear... That's just going to piss it off. Also, if I'm not mistaken, certain types of knives are considered concealed weapons if not openly displayed. I believe pocket knives with a blade over 2" is considered a weapon and you have to have a permit if you're going to conceal it. Also, switchblades and butterfly knives are illegal in Canada (or was it just BC). Unless you're talking a swiss army knife, then I think it's okay to have in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
you can carry a knife on your belt buckle because it's a tool but it has to be a certain size. and since its on your belt its not concealed.
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
A pocket knife isn't going to help you against a bear... That's just going to piss it off. Also, if I'm not mistaken, certain types of knives are considered concealed weapons if not openly displayed. I believe pocket knives with a blade over 2" is considered a weapon and you have to have a permit if you're going to conceal it. Also, switchblades and butterfly knives are illegal in Canada (or was it just BC). Unless you're talking a swiss army knife, then I think it's okay to have in your pocket.
So a tactical knife being over a 2" blade is out of the question?

What's conceal mean? And how does that compare to storage?
Like backpack vs belt vs pocket?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Like I said, I'm fairly sure over a certain length you have to have a permit to carry it. And conceal means to hide it. So anywhere that is not plainly visible. If one of the PO's want to chime in and either yay or nay my info, that would be awesome The place I used to work for sold knives, so we had to know which were legal to sell and which had to have permits, but that was a few years ago, so I'm quite sure the rules might have changed. If I were OP I'd just call up the local detachment and ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
conceal .... maybe you shoudl look up on google.

if you're planning to take a rambo knife and hide it behind your back, that's not allowed. since it's concealed and for sure it's over the limit (in length)
if it's a pocket knife, on ur keychain or if u put it on ur tool belt eg// an installation technician for a company, it'll be fine.

more details on google: on canadian laws and regulation on weapons
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...dian-Knife-law

read the post on the bottom hope it helps
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Sorry, I know this is a bit off topic.. but is it illegal to carry a baton on you or in your vehicle? I see those shops selling Batons and Knives at the night market.
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
the batons at night market are one use only i used it once and had to toss it after cuz it got all fucked up
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

they are considered weapons, yes.

Honestly, I keep sports equipment in the car. I don't like the idea of keeping anything in my car that's potentially incriminating and used to beat ppl, but I've ran into situations while driving where a driver gets so raged up over misunderstandings that physical confrontations ensue. (once pointed out a dude with a open gas lid and missing cap and he thought I was giving him some sort of insult.)
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #12
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

I had a fish club in my car once and an officer saw it and when I explained what it was to the officer he asked what it was doing there I pointed at my fishing rod and tackle box and said i just came back from fishing. He said ok and that was it.
Posted via RS Mobile
HAFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

You can carry a pocket knife with you any size as long it is going to be used as a tool, not as a weapon. For instance, if you carry a machete in the woods, that is fine. If you are carrying around a machete walking downtown there may be some issues.

Said pocket knife can't be a switchblade or butterfly knife.

Federally, there are no laws regarding size but there might be municipally. Also, knife can't be concealed. Unless you are special or part of jtf2 nobody will get a concealed permit for knife carry.

Last edited by cunninglinguist; 07-25-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: added more info
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:50 PM   #14
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
as far as concealing goes, I've been lead to believe that as long as part of the knife is visible at all times, it's not considered concealed. This came from a friend who sometimes carries one around with it in his front pocket, with it clipped on backwards so that only the clip is really visible.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote