REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

What happens now? ICBC

My buddy just got into an accident in his 09 lancer. It was 100% his fault. There's damage to the passenger doors, front bumper, passenger side front quarter panel, hood, headlight. Potential frame damage + wheel/suspention damage. He has the car in a 4 year fianance and if they write off the car , what happens?
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Ranterok is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
there are a few things that could happen....but somebody's gonna get a hurt real bad.

If he has full coverage + new car replacement option then:
1. get epic dinged for premium
2. get reimbursed toward another Lancer, less the amount still owing, which he continues to pay Mitsubishi's financial institute.

If he has only full coverage then:
1. get less epic dinged for premium for at-fault accident
2. Gets the car repaired if it can be done at under 85%(?) of market value of the car
if not,
2. Get a check paid out to the market value of the Lancer, pay the remaining sum owing to Mitsubishi's financial institute. The difference between the payout and Mitsubishi's remaining terms is then out of your friend's pocket.

If he has 3rd party coverage only then:
1. get dinged for premium anyway
2. gets nothing at all for the heap, and he'd either pay out of his pocket to repair the car, or scrap it. Either way he will have to honor the purchase agreement he made with Mitsubishi.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi

Last edited by hk20000; 07-15-2010 at 08:53 AM.
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
if they write it off you will get paid how much icbc feels its worth and your friend may/probably will end up still paying the balance of the financing...unless you got extra insurance that pays out the difference from what icbc gave you so you owe nothing

what is your friends insurance discount at??
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

He has no discount, its under his mom's name, he has fullcoverage but not sure if he has the replacement car option.
Posted via RS Mobile
Ranterok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
there are a few things that could happen....but somebody's gonna get a hurt real bad.

I don't understand how his premium would be affected any differently in these 2 cases... His level on the claim rated scale is going to go up the same way regardless if he has new car replacement insurance or not.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

ICBC will do an estimate of the vehicle. If the vehicle is deemed a write-off, then they will do an evaluation of the value of the vehicle.

If your friend has the Replacement Cost Coverage, then he will get back the same amount he paid for the car or however much it will cost to put him back in the exact same car from the dealer, whichever is cheaper (they will need to provide proof of sale documents to prove how much they paid for the vehicle)

If you friend does not have the Replacement Cost Coverage, then as I said before, an evaluation of the vehicles value will be completed and then presented to the owner of the vehicle.

If the vehicle is leased, then the cheque goes to the leasing company
If the vehicle is financed and there is a lien / outstanding balance on the vehicle, then the cheque will be in both the owners and financial institutions name
If the vehicle is neither leased or financed, then the cheque will be in the owners name

If the owner does not agree with the evaluation of the vehicle, they should do some of their own research and pull ads from papers, buy & sell, etc. etc. with vehicles that are approximately the same as theirs (same year, model, kms, options, etc.) and submit them to the estimator
dai3yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranterok View Post
He has no discount, its under his mom's name, he has fullcoverage but not sure if he has the replacement car option.
Posted via RS Mobile
I hope he is listed as the primary driver.

If not, and ICBC investigates , he is going to be dry raped anally
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

^werd

i'm going to say ass raped as well
mugentsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Worst case scenario on top of the monetary loss? Getting charged with insurance fraud.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^ it will 80% go into investigation if
1) his mom is both the owner and principal drive
2) mom has another car which she is the principal driver for

they usually send a letter just 2 confirm that ur mom is principal driver of BOTH vehicles IF the age difference between the 2 ppl/discount of the 2 ppl has a big difference

oh ya, if they can prove ur not the principal driver, it will be insurance fraud = no claim pay out, all insurance is void, they guy he hit will basically have 2 sue for payment
not good...
-10 Fit
umpadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:38 PM   #11
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post

2. get reimbursed toward another Lancer, less the amount still owing, which he continues to pay Mitsubishi's financial institute.

2. Gets the car repaired if it can be done at under 85%(?) of market value of the car
if not,
2. Get a check paid out to the market value of the Lancer, pay the remaining sum owing to Mitsubishi's financial institute. The difference between the payout and Mitsubishi's remaining terms is then out of your friend's pocket.

If he has 3rd party coverage only then:
1. get dinged for premium anyway
2. gets nothing at all for the heap, and he'd either pay out of his pocket to repair the car, or scrap it. Either way he will have to honor the purchase agreement he made with Mitsubishi.

total bullshit

How much your insurance goes up depends where u sit on the claim scale. Doesnt matter how much or what coverage u buy
http://www.icbc.com/autoplan-insuran...-costs/crs.pdf
chargedpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 AM   #12
SardaukarMod

it likely wouldn't be insurance fraud btw, it would be breach of insurance policy. still, that means denial of coverage and out-of-pocket expenses for him (or his mom i guess). but that's if icbc thinks your friend is the primary driver. if he only drives the car occasionally and if the icbc adjuster feels generous, then he won't find your friend (and his mom) in breach of the insurance policy. the adjuster will, however, still send out a warning letter and your friend (and his mom) will have to change the insurance papers to reflect more accurately who primarily drives the vehicle.

you guys know that you can declare NO primary driver for a vehicle? you start out at the 0% discount but at least you won't be in breach like Ranterok's friend when you and your mom/dad/brother/sister share a car equally...
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
you guys know that you can declare NO primary driver for a vehicle? you start out at the 0% discount but at least you won't be in breach like Ranterok's friend when you and your mom/dad/brother/sister share a car equally...
sry but thats only for a company vehicle
-10 Fit
umpadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #14
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
and if the icbc adjuster feels generous,
Has anyone here ever dealt with a generous adjuster?

Getting any sort of compensation from ICBC is like getting blood from a stone.
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
his insurance price is gonna get fucked
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotong View Post
his mom's insurance price is gonna get fucked
fix'd
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #17
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpadupa View Post
sry but thats only for a company vehicle
the icbc adjuster who told me that seemed to think that it was possible.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #18
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo-brickster View Post
Has anyone here ever dealt with a generous adjuster?

Getting any sort of compensation from ICBC is like getting blood from a stone.
you'd be surprised. maybe not so much for material damage claims (like dented fenders, etc) but for bodily injury claims, they hand out more money than you'd think... if only to keep the file from going to trial.

ie: if they think that a judge will side with you and will give you a whole schwack of money because you've been injured from your accident, they'll throw money (obviously less than what they think the file could potentially be worth in court) at you to make sure you don't go to trial over it.

Last edited by seakrait; 07-17-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #19
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai3yuen View Post

If the vehicle is leased, then the cheque goes to the leasing company
Also if the icbc payout is more than what you still owe on the car, the leasing company will refund you the difference
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #20
SardaukarMod

here's a good thread about ICBC insurance and the issue of who the principal driver is.

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic...t&sd=a&start=0
Old 07-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #21
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
I got into an accident with moms car (she was principle driver, I didnt have a vehicle under my name) and they deemed me 100% at fault (fuckn left turns)....ALSO there was the 10 year minimum driver experience clause in the insurance (that we forgot to take out) so in the end we had to pay $2000 as a fine because of the 10 year driver clause....and I got a 40% premium on my insurance...so now i have to pay $5000 a year when I should only be paying 3k max

as well as they sent us a letter saying this is fraud blah blah and if we ever did something like this again they would not cover any damages to any parties and my insurance would be void
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #22
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ ouch

pretty much op is going this route
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
I got into an accident with moms car (she was principle driver, I didnt have a vehicle under my name) and they deemed me 100% at fault (fuckn left turns)....ALSO there was the 10 year minimum driver experience clause in the insurance (that we forgot to take out) so in the end we had to pay $2000 as a fine because of the 10 year driver clause....and I got a 40% premium on my insurance...so now i have to pay $5000 a year when I should only be paying 3k max

as well as they sent us a letter saying this is fraud blah blah and if we ever did something like this again they would not cover any damages to any parties and my insurance would be void
This should be a warning to all those kids insuring their vehicles in their parents name to save money. You are going to get assfucked and if it's a really bad accident where someone else is seriously hurt you might get fucked so bad (financially) you will be fucked for life when your insurance is voided. It's so not worth it.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #24
Rs has made me the man i am today!

OUCH! I just deleted my entire rant against you since you're already going to get ass raped in premiums for the next 16 years (at 5% discount / year). Sad to say, but this is going to be an expensive life lesson. The only thing I can say that might comfort you is that I have a friend that had a 100% at fault accident, and after the additional premiums, they've resorted to public transit. Your driving days for the time being could be at an end unless you can still afford it.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #25
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
ouch.,. yea NEVER insure a car under parents name...

i drove my moms car and got into an accident.. total loss.. the engine got fire and shit..
my mom lost her GOLD star status... felt really bad.. this was 12 years ago.. i dont think it was on my record.. maybe they changed their policy or something..

im 1 year away from my Gold Star Status so im happy.. i should be down to around $100 per month..