REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Advice

So I was looking to buy a 2003 Acur RSX base model with 97,000kms from this lady. I asked her if it was rebuilt and she said no. The car was listed at $9,000 but we talked things down to $8,000. Everything was ready to go when yesterday I got the VIN number and ran it with ICBC. It has 3 accidents, 1 of them was for over $2,700(apparently she hit a pole? Don't know if that's true or not), and the other 2 don't have any more info (she told me they were just scratches). So now I'm not sure, I'm thinking in the future when I try and maybe sell it, 3 accidents is already a lot, and what if I get into one? Sorry I don't know what to do so I'm just rambling cuz I'm kind of mad that she didn't tell me when I asked about the rebuilt status. Is it just me or when someone asks that doesn't that mean accidents as well to you? What should I do now?
Advertisement
choda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Banned (BBM)

$2700 is nothing, no frame damage...most likely

bumper/headlights/hood and other small stuff + paint can easily surplus $3g

the problem is she lied, and plus the other 2 accidents are unknown. Maybe $5g + who knows

i'd pass

there are lots first gen dc5 for sale, look around
and forget the base get a Type S

base is gutless
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

now you have bargaining power to lowball the fuck out of her.
not to mention she also lied to you
mqr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
x_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
$2700 is nothing, no frame damage...most likely

bumper/headlights/hood and other small stuff + paint can easily surplus $3g

the problem is she lied, and plus the other 2 accidents are unknown. Maybe $5g + who knows

i'd pass

there are lots first gen dc5 for sale, look around
and forget the base get a Type S

base is gutless
+1
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i dont see how asking if it's rebuilt is the same as asking if it's been in an accident, since cars can be involved in accidents and not be written off with a rebuilt status. IMO she hasn't lied, but she did not volunteer the additional information that the car has been in some accidents. In the future ask both questions. If you don't like the fact that it's been involved with accidents just walk away. It's not like it was dirty cheap or anything. But like others say, you can use it as a negotiating tactic and talk them down if you're still interested.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
racing & tech mod.

^ +1

She didn't lie, rebuilt is totally different from having a few small accidents. $2300 damage is nothing. I can do $2300 of damage to a car with my bare hands without even breaking my skin. Maybe she bought it used not knowing it even had accidents on it.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

^ +1

If you're only buying it for 8000 or less.. is resale value that much of a factor?
I mean, if the same car was selling for 5000, would you buy it? I guess in a few years it'd depreciate anyway..
Pt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
I think some people need to look up the definition of lying. You asked her if it was rebuilt, not if there were any accidents. Like Rich said, two completely different things. If you want it, get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

My friend rear-ended someone lightly with his RSX and to replace the bumper and a headlight cost $5,000, so the $2700 pole thing may be true

if you're looking to keep this car for quite a few years before you sell it, there's no point thinking about resale value, as it'll be crap regardless of accidents. If you plan on selling this car in 1-2 years though, you might get screwed, so if $8k is a great deal, i would go for it, otherwise don't settle
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote