REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #26
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

In regards to speed limit....I have mixed feelings about it, especially when the police themselves are driving over the limit.

Also other places as well such as Oak St. bridge, Knight St. Bridge, Westminster Hwy, etc.

Tell me guys, how do you guys enforce roads like that? You can't pull over EVERYONE.

And to be honest, sometimes when everone's driving 70 and you're doing 55, it's very uncomfortable because i know i'm starting to obstruct traffic, etc.
Advertisement
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

^ When the vast majority of the drivers are criminals for exceeding the speed limit, imo that shows there's something wrong with the law, not the people.

It's been proven that politics is the only reason why they don't raise the limits a lot of the cases. There are a couple of Vancouver Sun articles as well as a 2003 BC MOT report that shows the limit is set too low on many stretches of highway. Of course for a politician, maintaining the status quo is the easiest way to keep your job.

While it's legal to go 55 in a 70 zone (trucks carrying heavy/oversize loads like 1/2 a house are a good example), the problem is that nobody (cops) seems to care when they're not in the right lane. So everyone just passes on the right, myself included.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #28
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Dear old ICBC tells you to check with the police for more information about highway restrictions for LSMs:

http://www.icbc.com/registration/reg..._pwr_moped.asp

If it will travel > 60 km/h on level ground I would have to do some research to find out why you wouldn't be able to ride it where you pleased. I wouldn't do it on the freeway myself....
Interesting. I guess that's more a law enforcement issue than insurance coverage.
My main question would be about crossing Knight Street bridge.
I figured it's safer to go about this completely legally, so ICBC can't screw me out of coverage.

So how would I go about this? Just walk down to my local police station, and ask for some sort of written confirmation?

Also, does anybody know if there's a "between 50cc and 100cc class" for insuance? I know they have it in other provinces, but I never even seriously thought about it until this week.
I think going to a 70cc Big Bore Kit would give me enough acceleration all across my RPM range to be more comfortable with traffic.
Legally, I know I'd have to get my motorcycle license since it's about 50cc, but if insurance goes from $400 to $1500 a year, then it would no longer be an option.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #29
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
This is what you ride currently is I assume?

"limited speed motorcycle" means a motorcycle that

(a) is equipped with a motor having

(i) a piston displacement of not more than 50 cc, or

(ii) a power source that produces a maximum of 1.5 kW,

(b) has a power drive system that does not require clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged,

(c) has a maximum attainable speed on level ground, with or without pedals, of 70 km/hr,

The big bore kit alone would make it illegal from a displacement standpoint alone...then the power would be more than 1.5kw...so now you are on a "motorcycle" and need a class 6 DL. If you have a class 6DL then it won't be a problem as far as you riding it as a motorcycle. If you only have a class 5DL then you are in trouble.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #30
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkchoi0801 View Post
So are u the retard that drives 75km/h on the highway?
Actually I am generally the retard who is going with the flow of traffic. I know, I know, it is exponentially more dangerous than driving at just under the speed limit but to be honest I have had more close-calls when going slower than the flow of traffic.

Even if going with the flow may occasionally mean breaking the law, so far my driving style and attitude has kept me out of collisions. Isn't that what the police want?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #31
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
This is what you ride currently is I assume?

"limited speed motorcycle" means a motorcycle that

(a) is equipped with a motor having

(i) a piston displacement of not more than 50 cc, or

(ii) a power source that produces a maximum of 1.5 kW,

(b) has a power drive system that does not require clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged,

(c) has a maximum attainable speed on level ground, with or without pedals, of 70 km/hr,

The big bore kit alone would make it illegal from a displacement standpoint alone...then the power would be more than 1.5kw...so now you are on a "motorcycle" and need a class 6 DL. If you have a class 6DL then it won't be a problem as far as you riding it as a motorcycle. If you only have a class 5DL then you are in trouble.
Yeah, I know that if I exceed 50cc, then it's illegal to be riding with my current insurance and license.

I'm wondering what the cost of insurance is for a motorcycle below 100cc.
If if the insurance rates climb exponentially, that way, anything below 100cc would still be quite cheap.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #32
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I believe the class includes everything under 450cc??? as the lowest rate class. Any autoplanners here confirm?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote