REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Ever been charged duty/taxes/tarriffs for a day trip to the states?

Just wondering. We can bring back duty free - $50 for a stay between 24-48 hours. But under 24hrs is $0. I dont go to the states often (probably once a year). Each time I go we declare under $50 for a stay under 24 hrs but we never get hit with taxes.
Advertisement
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

your post doesnt really make sense, but you are subject to duties and taxes according to the rules. if you didnt need to pay, then u just got a break from the casb agent.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,168 Posts
The thing of one day shopping trip is this, there's a certain threshold the custom agents take. Because the forms and times for duties/taxes filling cost money... and if the amount of taxes gained is equal or lower than the cost, they will usually just let you go. As they will otherwise lose money by sending you in to do the paperworks.

So say if you purchase a 20 bucks t-shirt, the tax revenue is a bit over 2 bucks... then the form itself is probably 80ct a copy assuming it's filled out correctly with no second copy needed, the wage for an agent to deal with your paperwork on their hourly rate is probably 5~10 bucks... it would be nuts to ask you to pay taxes on them

But if you have a $1000 tires, that's another story.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
I don't get it

its better to declare what you bought then get busted and having to pay more than the regular duty. we usually declare around 120 each and they let us through.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
Not a mod

I did a day trip to Seattle with my girlfriend a couple of months ago. We bought approx $1200 worth of stuff. I told the agent we spent about $450/each and he let it go. So with that said, I think it all comes down to a judgment call on their part.
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
Banned By Establishment

it depends on the border guard. It is hit or miss.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

its also advantageous to pick the busiest time to return, such as 6-10pm,

when they're really busy they tend to let more go.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
their duties is to protect the borders and collecting duties is more like a secondary job.

It's their job to enforce these rules, regulations and laws, so yes while he can tax you $1 dollar on the piece of gum you bought, their leniency is something to be appreciated and not a privilege.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote