REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Entertainment Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/entertainment-forum_27/)
-   -   THE BEAT (https://www.revscene.net/forums/620292-beat.html)

seakrait 07-20-2010 10:06 PM

THE BEAT

Anyone been watching this show? Show follows the VPD's BET (Beat Enforcement Team) as they patrol the Downtown Eastside.

Think COPS but better with less police chases and more human interest. Pretty good show. It's on CityTV at 9pm and 9:30pm on FRIDAYS.

http://www.citytv.com/vancouver/show...9256--the-beat

!oHenry 07-21-2010 02:51 AM

Wow, good series.

DsZ24 07-21-2010 04:00 PM

I saw a couple episodes last weekend. Seems pretty interesting so far. One of the episodes I watched showed how pissed off the cops get when they bring somebody in and that person is back out on the street the next day. All that hard work for nothing it seems like.

unit 07-21-2010 04:27 PM

nothing beats cops.
i always cheer for the criminals

illicitstylz 07-21-2010 06:00 PM

what day do the episodes air? friday?

6793026 07-21-2010 11:03 PM

not that i don't like the series but sometimes it just shows all the negative part of downtown east side. i sure hope people don't think WOAH, vancouver must be a dump...

seakrait 07-22-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illicitstylz (Post 7037754)
what day do the episodes air? friday?

my bad. fridays. i think it also airs on saturdays on OLN.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 7038169)
not that i don't like the series but sometimes it just shows all the negative part of downtown east side. i sure hope people don't think WOAH, vancouver must be a dump...

well, you know that this series was filmed in 2008. so they had the option of airing the show BEFORE the olympics. but they didn't exactly because they didn't want the world to think that all of vancouver was like that.

but this show and its producers (some of which are/were cops) mean to show the struggles of the DTES and what the police have to do every shift and to hopefully encourage some change within the justice system as well as social services.

MR_BIGGS 07-22-2010 06:10 PM

Outdoor Life Network is awesome..

Parking Wars and Operation Repo are wicked shows.

Culverin 07-23-2010 03:15 AM

Is this just a propaganda show that the VPD has created for marketing? Or is this a serious show?

seakrait 07-26-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 7040052)
Is this just a propaganda show that the VPD has created for marketing? Or is this a serious show?

I would think it's both though I hesitate to call it "propaganda". I'm not quite sure what you think the VPD is accomplishing by being a part of this show but one of the goals of this show is, I think, to shed some light on the Downtown Eastside, the hard work that goes into policing it, the much needed help from society that the neighbourhood needs, and the changes that need to happen with our legal system.

nns 09-09-2012 09:39 PM

Sorry to bump this thread. I figured some of you would want to know that the show is back with new episodes. It's on right now on ch. 213 (shaw). Looks like it's going to be on this Saturday 9/15, same channel, at 10:30 PM.

axxess 09-09-2012 10:43 PM

Anyone know where i can watch the full episodes, I couldn't catch the first season

DsZ24 09-10-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxess (Post 8025104)
Anyone know where i can watch the full episodes, I couldn't catch the first season

Full episodes for season 2 are here

The Beat - Watch TV online free - Full episodes & shows on the Citytv Video Portal

They used to have full episodes from season 1 on there too, guess they took them down.

nns 09-10-2012 06:47 PM

FYI, if you guys have a HOSTS file that blocks ads, the videos may not load on that site.

I had to disable my HOSTS file before being able to watch them.

mikemhg 09-11-2012 10:02 AM

Like someone posted above, I get a weird stink of propaganda in this show, it's a good show, but it just feels fabricated and a PR thing for the VPD.

seakrait 09-12-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemhg (Post 8026340)
Like someone posted above, I get a weird stink of propaganda in this show, it's a good show, but it just feels fabricated and a PR thing for the VPD.

Which part of the show do you feel is fabricated?

tiger_handheld 09-12-2012 07:26 PM

anyone know when the new operation repos are on OLN(49)?

nns 09-12-2012 07:54 PM

If it was really a setup by the VPD to bolster their image, why of all places would they choose the DT eastside? There are other, easier sectors in the city to show "fake" police work.

They had an episode where they couldn't locate a missing man last year during Christmas. If it was VPD showboating, they would've shown the VPD blowing the case wide open and finding the guy. They didn't, and that guy is still missing.

Further for the sake of argument, ask yourself this: Who films the show? Is it other VPD personnel? Who edits the show for broadcast?

Go watch the documentary Through A Blue Lens on Youtube. That was made I believe over 10 years ago with Sgt. Hinton. This guy is the real deal. I can't give any sort of argument except my gut instinct tells me he's an honest guy.

The show is heavily angled from the POV of the cops, and for a very good reason: they're the ones being followed with cameras. I think this is what causes some people to be skeptical of the content.

axxess 09-12-2012 08:04 PM

Just a heads up, the first season is on youtube

I've actually seen Through A Blue Lens when I was in elementary school as it was part of the D.A.R.E. program! A really great documentary, scared us shitless.

nns 09-24-2012 06:44 AM

LOL did anyone see the episode with Mr Coffee? I remember people saying that place had good food.

smoothie. 09-24-2012 10:50 AM

pretty sure its all over youtube.

Saw it all a while ago, and saw a couple familiar cops when downtown at night :)