REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

DriveSmartBC - Self Preservation

Twenty years of traffic policing has left me wondering if today is the day that another driver will involve me in a crash. I seem to be asking myself this more and more often as I observe the behaviour of other drivers around me. Driving is probably the largest risk that I take in my life right now.

It occurred to me today that I have spent much of my time teaching others about the traffic rules here in my column. This is good knowledge to have as it will allow you to predict what other drivers will do as long as they follow these rules. However, what protection does knowing the rules provide when the other driver doesn't follow them?

I've probably mentioned defensive driving from time to time, but I don't think that I have written about it in any depth. I should have, because this provides the skills and knowledge necessary for your own self preservation when you travel the highways of our province. A little time invested learning here may pay big personal dividends one day.

It seems appropriate to finish by mentioning one of the five keys from the Smith System of defensive driving taught to me during basic training in Depot: Get the Big Picture! Fewer mistakes are made when you have the complete traffic picture around your vehicle.

Reference Links
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
I subscribe to Revscene

Observation is definately very important.

It's one thing to expect that another driver will follow the rules, but a good defensive driver will also make adjustments to minimize the chance of a collision should another driver fail to follow the rule.

One example of this that I see every day is drivers who fail to turn into the correct lane at an intersection. I generally prepare for this if I see someone wanting to make a turn by slowing down as I approach the intersection and if possible move over a lane to increase the space around my vehicle.

If I am making the turn, I will not do so if there is traffic flowing in the direction that I am turning into. I have seen far too many people make lane changes in or immediately after intersections.

Knowing how other drivers routinely break the rules and using that information appropriately gives the defensive driver another layer of protection.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
e-thugger*

I live in Kelowna which means I'm surrounded by idiots on the road. During the summer season there is typically at least one accident every day within the city. There have been a number of fatalities on the highways in the valley, many caused by one car simply crossing over the center line and hitting someone else head on. How is it you do this? Were you busy texting? Chatting with your passenger? Congrats, you just killed someone because you're too dumb to operate a car.

On the highways I do exactly the speed limit and make a mental note of every vehicle around me, watching how they're driving to anticipate their next move. I don't do this simply out of safe habit but because a collision in the car I drive will probably result in my death.
89 CRX D16Y7 swapped
netfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

If you were to crash someone head first on a highway, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter whether you were doing 80 or 100. So you'd most likely die anyways.

And stay on the right side please.
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

I find that on the road, I'm not operating a vehicle alone. I'm also having to correct for other driver's mistakes.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
e-thugger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkchoi0801 View Post
If you were to crash someone head first on a highway, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter whether you were doing 80 or 100. So you'd most likely die anyways.

And stay on the right side please.
Uh, 20kph makes a big difference in a collision. By staying at the posted limit on the highway, I give myself better odds of surviving an encounter with an idiot.

PS thanks for the driving tip. I don't usually take advice from "L" drivers though.
89 CRX D16Y7 swapped
Old 07-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by netfreak View Post
Uh, 20kph makes a big difference in a collision. By staying at the posted limit on the highway, I give myself better odds of surviving an encounter with an idiot.

PS thanks for the driving tip. I don't usually take advice from "L" drivers though.
You might stand a better chance crashing at 80 than you would at 100, but a head-on collision at 160km/hr (both cars doing 80) is probably not something you will survive.

IMO, going with the flow of traffic is a better way to keep out of a collision since you have much better control over maintaining space around your vehicle.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by netfreak View Post

Really? cuz I'm pretty sure we have the same license, does that make you a "L" driver as well? And staying on the right side if you're gonna go under speed limit is a good one hate retards that are oblivious to 20 other cars tailgating him / her.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
e-thugger*

Quote:
Really? cuz I'm pretty sure we have the same license, does that make you a "L" driver as well? And staying on the right side if you're gonna go under speed limit is a good one hate retards that are oblivious to 20 other cars tailgating him / her.
Since I can't actually fail your post, I'll just type FAIL in caps for you. I don't drive under the speed limit, and I didn't say I drove only in the left lane.

Say it with me folks... FAIL.
89 CRX D16Y7 swapped
Old 07-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
e-thugger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
You might stand a better chance crashing at 80 than you would at 100, but a head-on collision at 160km/hr (both cars doing 80) is probably not something you will survive.

IMO, going with the flow of traffic is a better way to keep out of a collision since you have much better control over maintaining space around your vehicle.
Lets assume I'm doing about 100kph which is the average speed limit for a highway in BC. I'm well aware a collision head on especially with my tiny car is going to kill me. Had I been exceeding the limit and going around 120kph, it gives me less chance to avoid the collision. Granted there is probably not much I could do at either speed but there is always that chance...
89 CRX D16Y7 swapped
Old 07-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #11

Going at the average 100 kph gives you enough time to avoid unnecessary accidents if you're focusing on what's going on. There's a reason why everyone goes 100+, I personally wouldn't risk myself to get to my destination 2 minutes faster. In fact, you're putting yourself at greater danger by going slower than flow of traffic as sebberry mentioned cuz ppl WILL speed past you and make dangerous passes.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:25 AM   #12
e-thugger*

Quote:
Going at the average 100 kph gives you enough time to avoid unnecessary accidents if you're focusing on what's going on. There's a reason why everyone goes 100+, I personally wouldn't risk myself to get to my destination 2 minutes faster. In fact, you're putting yourself at greater danger by going slower than flow of traffic as sebberry mentioned cuz ppl WILL speed past you and make dangerous passes.
Sorry, I'm not putting myself at greater danger by doing the speed limit on the highway. If traffic wants to pass, they pass. There is a reason everyone does 100+? Yes. We have become a society of self-important goofs. I no longer get speeding tickets because I no longer speed. If you obstruct traffic doing below the 60kph minimum to travel on the highway then that is a different story, but going exactly the speed limit seems like a fine way to cruise as I am both passing slower vehicles and being passed by others.
89 CRX D16Y7 swapped
Old 07-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #13

Get your head out of your rear end for just a second and think about it. First, if you were going at the flow of traffic, there would be no need for anyone to pass each other, correct? Less passing by = less interaction with other cars = less accidents, no?

Besides, I never said it was technically 'wrong' to cruise at the posted speed limit. My initial point was that it's not going to save you whether or not you were doing 80 or 100 on a highway, you're just going to become a vegetable or die regardless.

A good 98% of Vancouver's population drives 100+ kph on the highway. Do you think everyone is just an idiot that wants to get to work faster by risking their lives? We've already accepted the idea that going at that speed is the more efficient way of traveling, and speeding tickets or ridiculously low speed limits are NOT going to change this mindset. And so far all you have come up with is that it's just the 'law'; you're not fooling anyone.

Last edited by skidmark; 07-26-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
e-thugger*

Quote:
Get your head out of your rear end for just a second and think about it. First, if you were going at the flow of traffic, there would be no need for anyone to pass each other, correct? Less passing by = less interaction with other cars = less accidents, no?

Besides, I never said it was technically 'wrong' to cruise at the posted speed limit. My initial point was that it's not going to save you whether or not you were doing 80 or 100 on a highway, you're just going to become a vegetable or die regardless.

A good 98% of Vancouver's population drives 100+ kph on the highway. Do you think everyone is just an idiot that wants to get to work faster by risking their lives? We've already accepted the idea that going at that speed is the more efficient way of traveling, and speeding tickets or ridiculously low speed limits are NOT going to change this mindset. And so far all you have come up with is that it's just the 'law'; you're not fooling anyone.
1) I don't live in vancouver
2) I'm talking about highways not within city limits

So far your rationale for speeding is that everyone already does it, so it must be safer to do so. This tells me you have held your license for maybe 2-3 years tops.

There is no "flow of traffic" on the highways I'm referring to. Tourists do 10-20 under, N drivers in daddy's car do 40 over. Unless you want to do double the limit, you WILL get passed in the course of the trip.