REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   How much gas/$$ from Van to Banff? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/620512-how-much-gas-%24%24-van-banff.html)

4runner21 07-23-2010 05:08 PM

How much gas/$$ from Van to Banff?

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about taking a road trip to Banff and the Canadian Rockies...
more specifcally to Lake Louise and those glacier lakes.

How much gas $$ would I need, heading there and back?

I drive a 1998 6 cylinder 4runner.

Also wondering how are the roads out there? Pretty safe or what?
Just wondering if there are any long stretches that are down hill where you would pick up hella speed?

Thanks in advance for anyone who replies. Appreciate it.

4runner21 07-23-2010 05:28 PM

My main concern though is near the BC/Alberta border called "kicking horse" where they suggest down shifting to break more with your engine. I've never done this b4...
but I definitely don't want my breaks over heating....that could be scary.

aznrsx1979 07-24-2010 09:29 AM

Shouldn't be too big a deal. I drove from Banff to Calgary about 15 years ago when I turned 16 in a 1978 Dodge camper van. Roads were easy enough to handle then. I'm not sure what condition they're in now though.

Soundy 07-24-2010 10:05 AM

The roads are great most of the way - there's been a LOT of road reconstruction done the past few years, including the new Kicking Horse bridge.

How much gas it takes will really depend on the running condition of your car, and how you drive it. The trip itself is about 850km if you take the Coquihalla/Trans Canada route. If you know about how much distance you get on a tank with your 4Runner, you should be able to estimate how much it will take to get there.

Mugen EvOlutioN 07-24-2010 10:27 AM

probably like 2 tanks per trip

Cillu 07-24-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 7041599)
probably like 2 tanks per trip

This.

Soundy 07-24-2010 07:35 PM

I think you mean "each way". My '87 Accord gave me about 600-650km to a tank on the highway, so a tank and a half each way would be about right for that.

4runner21 07-25-2010 11:51 PM

^^thanks everyone for your input. greatly appreciated!

Machi604 07-26-2010 09:41 AM

I drove from Calgary to Van last year in my MDX and I probably filled up twice each way..
you might get delayed by construction but other than that, the roads should be fine.
Oh and avoid speeding near Banff.. the rcmp are almost always around there lol

4runner21 07-26-2010 03:14 PM

^^cool, thanks. good to know.

are these rest areas safe at night? Or would it be wiser to get a motel in Kelowna, leave hella early the next day and get the Banff/lake Louise by sunrise?

Or, to save $$, I was contemplating driving the full distance and sleeping at a rest stop.
Get up early and explore the area all day and get a hotel near all those turquoise lakes.

And how far are all these glacier lakes from the highway? is there a lot of hiking involved?

Machi604 07-27-2010 10:19 AM

The rest areas are safe.. just remember to lock your doors (obviously). The drive isn't really that long so a motel isn't needed at all. You'll be fine napping at the rest stop.

Let me know what your budget is for a hotel and I'll give some recommendations.
Louise is much nicer but if you want shopping, bars, etc. Banff would be the choice.

It really depends on which lake you go to but the popular ones can be done with minimal hiking. Some are not too far off from the highway either.. Moraine Lake is one of my favs! or Lake Minnewanka.. rent a canoe and start paddling out onto the lake. Elbow Falls is pretty cool too but outside of Banff.

6793026 07-27-2010 01:53 PM

i drove from van to calgary last yr and to play it safe i did 2 tanks so yes, i and a half tank should get you there but you won't be waiting till the last min. once you get to cal, gas gets sort of cheaper too.

Soundy 07-27-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machi604 (Post 7045290)
Moraine Lake is one of my favs! or Lake Minnewanka.. rent a canoe and start paddling out onto the lake. Elbow Falls is pretty cool too ...

Yes, just don't paddle over the falls!

penner2k 07-28-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machi604 (Post 7043874)
Oh and avoid speeding near Banff.. the rcmp are almost always around there lol

Thats cuz all the rich oil guys like to race their Lamborghinis and Ferrari's to Banff... lol

umpadupa 07-29-2010 01:00 AM

its a decent drive actually, and engine break is a good idea; i went last year and saw an old couple in something like a 2000 caddy deville or something.. and smoke pouring everywhere out of the brakes.. they were ok near the bottom of the hill