REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

///

////
Advertisement

Last edited by -vancityguy-; 08-02-2017 at 01:09 PM.
-vancityguy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I wonder how reputable Canadian businesses are bringing these in if they are replica's.

If it were me, I would just buy in Canada. Not worth the risk to me. If CBSA decided to confiscate it from you, you will have a record of trying to import prohibited weapon.
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #3

[quot/////

Last edited by -vancityguy-; 08-02-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 AM   #4
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Or have them shipped to Canada?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
When I was a teen we crossed the border with replica pellet guns that looked like handguns and were more than 500 fps. We stashed them in the trunk to hide them. Luckily the vehicle I was in made it through the border, yet the other vehicle got stopped and searched. They found the handguns and we not impressed. My friends were lucky to be let go with a strict warning and the guns confiscated.

This was in the mid-90s, long before 9-11 and the new security measures. Imagine what they'd do now! Even for $150 savings, I would not want to risk the hassle.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #6

///

Old 07-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

But it comes back to the individual CBSA agent at the border to make the final determination. Is it worth the risk?
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #8

////

Old 07-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

That's true, I forgot about that. As long as you declare it and are up front, if the person decides it's not admissable, they do give you the option of returning to the US right away to refund it before coming back.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #10

/////

Old 07-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I can't say that I'm the most knowledgeable one here, but I do have a few things to clarify in case people read this and got the wrong idea.

Q: Are all BB guns illegal?
A:
BB guns are free to enter Canada. The only ones that are not allowed into Canada are the ones known as airsofts (or in Asia, "BB guns"). Airsofts resemble actual firearm (in size and shape) but instead of firing live ammunition, it shoots BB's. Under CBSA's regulation, anything under 500fps and resembles actual firearms will be considered replicas.

Q: So how does those local airsoft companies get their hands on airsoft rifles/pistols?
A:
The answer is simple, by complying with the import regulations. Since airsofts are considered replicas since they resemble their real counterparts, all they have to do is to differentiate it in an obvious manner. How? Instead of using metal frame/receivers, they opt to use a semi-transparent plastic materials as a replacement. That way, the electric gearbox and all its parts are clearly visible. It shows that the airsoft itself is not the "real deal". These are commonly known as "cansoft" (as in CANadian airSOFT).

Q: Then how come I saw a few full metal airsofts still available from [insert location here]?
A:
There are 3 possible ways to have the full metal airsofts. The first one is the easiest to figure out: they are smuggled into Canada illegally. Those are ones that "slip through the cracks". The second way is that they were imported long time ago when it was still legal to purchase full metal airsofts. The last method, which has emerged recently, is airsofts which are registered to the Firearms Reference Table (FRT). What those importers did was they sent an over 500fps production airsoft to RCMP for validation. And the RCMP classified the high power airsoft was an uncontrolled firearm. Which means it will have a FRT number. Having this reference number means firearms importer can import these airsofts legally. The only catch is that the list of airsofts that meet these criteria is very limited (and each individual model of airsoft is validated separately).

Q: What happens if I bring an airsoft from another country?
A:
If you declared it, you will most likely given two choices: forfeit the replica firearm, or send it back where it came from. If you haven't, then you face the "punishment". I'm sure you all can figure out what happens then

Q: Where can I learn more about these airsofts and the regulations about them?
A:
Airsoft Canada is a great Canadian community of airsoft enthusiasts which care about their sport. They do NOT condone to illegal importation of any kind. So check them out if you really want to get into this sport. Also, the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program website is also helpful in talking about replica firearms and what you can and can't do with them.

I hope this eliminates some of the misconceptions regarding to airsoft and the importation of one. As I said before, everything I've stated is just things I've read and learned from the information out there. I'm no import broker or airsoft dealer, so don't quote (or blame) me when things go sour
Sp0r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #12
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -vancityguy- View Post
i called in twice to make sure and they said as long as it is not a replica of a specific gun it is 100% okay. he also said as long as u declare it even if they reject it they will allow u to return to the usa and send it back. brands like crosman and gamo are fine because they are not designed after specific firearms. umarex makes a lot of clones 1911, px4, d eagle and so on
Ask them to send you a quick email?

Something in writing from one of their own x100000 better than, "well, i called in twice and they said it was ok".
Old 07-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I bring paintball guns/airsoft guns over all the time from the US.. I just disassemble them, and then declare them as parts.. (I dont bring all the parts over in the same car) never had an issue..
Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_FTW View Post
I bring paintball guns/airsoft guns over all the time from the US.. I just disassemble them, and then declare them as parts.. (I dont bring all the parts over in the same car) never had an issue..
The only controlled part of the entire firearm (replica or not) is the receiver/frame. Everything else is uncontrolled and does not require a license to import. Ignorance will not be a reasonable excuse when you are caught smuggling a [replica] firearm. But whether to play Russian Roulette when crossing the border is up to you to decide.
Sp0r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:02 AM   #15

////