REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 07-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Passed!

Legal night time riding! woohoo!

That was almost too easy. I liked it more than my car license, the evaluator isn't beside and you cannot see everything they are writing down, so I didn't have a chance to get nervous.

Dan @ Burnaby was a super nice evaluator, not that concerned with speed (I was 10 over a few times) and was upfront about highway speed before the test: "if highway traffic is doing 90+, I expect you to speed up to 90+. It is safer to maintain traffic speed than obey the signs". He only docked me on speed in a playground zone. I slowly braked down to 30 yet he expected me to brake hard down to 30. Plus I did 30-35, when he wanted 25-30.
Advertisement
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

congrats
SilverBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
All you have to do now is get back on to BCSB.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Nah, I've been lurking and reading posts, it really deserves the name "BC stupid bikes". The crowd is either too young and unintelligent, or too old and stubborn/cranky. Arguing with them is pointless, either wait till the young ones kill themselves, or the old ones die off.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
RS Veteran

BTW congrats and we love you on BCSB.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 07-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
BTW congrats and we love you on BCSB.
Thanks! Now I can come out to the late night meets... if anyone else shows...
Old 07-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
B&S Sexy mod

Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
The crowd is either too young and unintelligent, or too old and stubborn/cranky.
seems like the transition between the two is pretty quick though
Now do what all the cool kids are doing and get a supermotard
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo911_ View Post
Congrats!

Now do what all the cool kids are doing and get a supermotard
Thanks!

LOL no super motard! My buddy has a DR650 with street tires that I learned to ride on early this year. Super fun, yet I like my SV650 for putting around. I'm trying to convince him that we should both buy this and a dirt bike, then he can trade the DR650 for something better for long road trips.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Congrats!

and...who are you calling old? Howbout I say you fit this pink bike when you retire...whaddaya say?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8057.jpg (93.0 KB, 0 views)
4WheelsLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Congrats, you got lucky because it is supposed to be an automatic fail for speeding in a school zone
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Congrats dude!
s13_drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
+1 lol!

Congrats though!
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #13
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

My Class 6 Exam is a week today.

Any pointers?
Glaedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #14
B&S Sexy mod

^make your shoulder checks VERY obvious and frequent (every time you change lane positions, manoever etc..)
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaedr View Post
My Class 6 Exam is a week today.

Any pointers?
Tip #1: relax. If you have your 6L and 5, then what's the worst that can happen? You cannot drive at night a little longer and cannot have passengers - big deal, I don't want passengers anyways and the days are still long.

Reminding myself of this was perhaps the best thing I did. If failure isn't a big deal, then what is there to be nervous about?

Tip #2: mirror and shoulder check everytime you move the bike forward from a stop, or laterally on the road. Too much checking is not a bad thing.

Tip #3: maintain proper lane position. My evaluator asked if I knew dominant and turning lane position before we left, then commented that I kept great lane position. Ie if you're in the left lane of a 2 lane road you stay in position P3 (dominant) yet when you turn left from this lane you have to get into P1 before signaling your turn.

Tip #4: 25 kmph in 30 kmph zones. Better to be under than over in playground and school zones as the evaluators are stricter on speeds in these areas.

Tip #5: look backwards when backing into a stall when the test is done, they are still watching you. I misjudged the angle to get into my spot and had to move forward then back again, no penalty.

Tip #6: cancel signals! This was what I was most worried about. I practiced hitting the turn signal button occasionally just incase I forgot.

In Burnaby I did not have to do a traffic circle or a double school zone or a stop to identify hazards. I was out only about 30 mins.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:28 AM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
+1 lol!

Congrats though!
LOL after reading the responses of some of the more "respected" members in the road rage/concealed weapon thread I'm OK with being banned forever. What a bunch of ignorant cowboys, I'm ashamed that they are Canadians.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Tip #1: relax. If you have your 6L and 5, then what's the worst that can happen? You cannot drive at night a little longer and cannot have passengers - big deal, I don't want passengers anyways and the days are still long.

Reminding myself of this was perhaps the best thing I did. If failure isn't a big deal, then what is there to be nervous about?

Tip #2: mirror and shoulder check everytime you move the bike forward from a stop, or laterally on the road. Too much checking is not a bad thing.

Tip #3: maintain proper lane position. My evaluator asked if I knew dominant and turning lane position before we left, then commented that I kept great lane position. Ie if you're in the left lane of a 2 lane road you stay in position P3 (dominant) yet when you turn left from this lane you have to get into P1 before signaling your turn.

Tip #4: 25 kmph in 30 kmph zones. Better to be under than over in playground and school zones as the evaluators are stricter on speeds in these areas.

Tip #5: look backwards when backing into a stall when the test is done, they are still watching you. I misjudged the angle to get into my spot and had to move forward then back again, no penalty.

Tip #6: cancel signals! This was what I was most worried about. I practiced hitting the turn signal button occasionally just incase I forgot.

In Burnaby I did not have to do a traffic circle or a double school zone or a stop to identify hazards. I was out only about 30 mins.
Hmmm you bring up a good point with Tip#1

btw I always thought P1 in any lane was the dominant lane... thats what I was told at PRS. Depending on the situation of course but if you're riding, most of the time P1 is the dominant position no?

Thanks for the tips, now that im done school I can practice.

and Congrats on passing
Old 08-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #18
RS Veteran

P1 is always your most dominant lane position and PRS is correct. Some people learn it differently so it may be reversed, however, according to PRS, it goes like this:

P1 P2 P3 (Curb)

Anyway, if you are taking the road test, make sure you tell the people at ICBC when you check in that you took lessons with PRS. That way, the evaluator will know what you have learned. The folks at Surrey (assuming you're taking the test there) love it when you tell them you've taken training at PRS.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:56 AM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
btw I always thought P1 in any lane was the dominant lane... thats what I was told at PRS. Depending on the situation of course but if you're riding, most of the time P1 is the dominant position no?
P1 is the dominant position most of the time, not all the time.

PRS may teach P1 to be the dominant position all the time, yet the ICBC manuals state P3 is the dominant position for the left lane of multilane roads. When in doubt, follow the ICBC manual.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #20
RS Veteran

P3 is your most dominant lane if you are going say up a hill with limited visibility etc. I don't recall the rules but taylor192 is correct as P1 may NOT always be the most dominant lane position.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #21

Quote:
P1 is always your most dominant lane position and PRS is correct. Some people learn it differently so it may be reversed, however, according to PRS, it goes like this:

P1 P2 P3 (Curb)

Anyway, if you are taking the road test, make sure you tell the people at ICBC when you check in that you took lessons with PRS. That way, the evaluator will know what you have learned. The folks at Surrey (assuming you're taking the test there) love it when you tell them you've taken training at PRS.
I'll make sure to mention that and yes my exam is in Surrey

Quote:
P1 is the dominant position most of the time, not all the time.

PRS may teach P1 to be the dominant position all the time, yet the ICBC manuals state P3 is the dominant position for the left lane of multilane roads. When in doubt, follow the ICBC manual.
ya I looked in the 2nd book "Tuning up for Riders" and its not in there about the lane position... need to find the first book and look in that...

Quote:
P3 is your most dominant lane if you are going say up a hill with limited visibility etc. I don't recall the rules but taylor192 is correct as P1 may NOT always be the most dominant lane position.
BTW if you guys took your exam at Surrey and scheduled through PRS, do you know if PRS allows you to use your own bike and gear?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
BTW if you guys took your exam at Surrey and scheduled through PRS, do you know if PRS allows you to use your own bike and gear?
Yes, of course you can use your own bike/gear!
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #23
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
and P2 is correct if it is windy
Old 08-06-2010, 03:01 AM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Welcome to the club.

I thought P2 whenever it's also some narrow area where drifting on either side is bad (Pattullo comes to mind), or when it's rainy, so you don't ride in pools of water/oil?
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #25
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

It depends where you're riding and conditions of the road. You...or at least I try not to be too static about which lane position within which lane (ie. fast lane/middle/curb). When I'm on the hwy and if there are deer hazards, I try to position myself as close to the middle of the whole samebound direction as possible to get that extra response time in case a deer/wild life jumps out from the bushes or the middle (grassy/bush/ditch) median.
In the city, always the lane position where you're able to ride/shoot to the side of the vehicle infront of you so you don't get slam by vehicles from behind.

When I took my test the DMV official was wondering why I change lane positions so often. I explained that because I am on 2 wheels I need to avoid hazards (ie. bumps/rocks/gravel/sand/potholes/etc.). The DMV person didn't take that kindly and I felt they were assholes. One time, I was even stopped by a nice female RCMP in Richmond because I was changing lane position often as well. We had a nice chat and I think she just wanted to check out my bike and she said she rides too. Cagers do not realize why you change lane positions as they are on 4 wheels and it makes them unaware of those little 'bumps'. Just my experience!

Last edited by 4WheelsLESS; 08-06-2010 at 07:42 AM.
4WheelsLESS is offline   Reply With Quote