REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Witnessing an accdient, what should I do. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/621132-witnessing-accdient-what-should-i-do.html)

NNT 07-30-2010 07:06 PM

Witnessing an accdient, what should I do.

witness an accident late last night. I stayed on scene for about 30 second and left because there's another car stopped and help out. Now I am thinking if theres anything I can help police/ICBC investigate because that one driver who cause the accdient ran 2 red lights and may be I am the only one sae it. Is that a number I can call to report what I saw?
BTW, it happens in the city of Vancouver.

Raid3n 07-30-2010 08:22 PM

call icbc and tell them you witnessed an accident at such and such intersection, at such and such date and time. and that you have information that could help.

RFlush 07-30-2010 09:24 PM

I witnessed an accident like 5 years ago and I stayed at the scene, gave my info to the police and such then left.

A couple weeks after got a call from ICBC, had to waste my own time and gas to drive to ICBC to give a statement.

Then like 2 years ago I had to go to court as the two people involved were still fighting to see who is liable. It was hard to remember an accident that happened 3 years ago when coming home from work and very tired. Also, the lawyers on each side kept trying to make me go to their side by asking me one sided questions (this was before we entered the court, this was over the phone or at a coffee shop which I had to meet them [again, my OWN time]). Had to skip a day of work, went to the court house and everything with no compensation.

It was such a hassle and annoyance. Would I do it again? Yup! Being a witness can help save those who were actually right to those who were wrong. Well worth it in my opinion.

skidmark 07-31-2010 06:29 AM

Glad to hear that RFlush. A lot of people these days would not, even though they would expect someone to do it for them.

Odd. but you should have been compensated for your time. I was offered conduct money by the lawyer when I was subpeonaed for a civil court trial.

You could also try telling the adjuster that they were welcome to come to you for the interview. If they want it bad enough, they will.

BallPeenHammer2 07-31-2010 08:15 AM

I've been witness twice, but never had to appear in court.

I'd be a witness every time.

NNT 07-31-2010 10:05 AM

so I should just call ICBC but not police, ok, will do so

Soundy 07-31-2010 10:26 AM

I'd say call both... doesn't take any extra effort, really, and then each can decide whether the info will be useful to them or not.

carsncars 07-31-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFlush (Post 7050103)
It was such a hassle and annoyance. Would I do it again? Yup! Being a witness can help save those who were actually right to those who were wrong. Well worth it in my opinion.

I'd what you did too, because I hope if I was ever in a similar situation (knock on wood), that someone would be upstanding enough to be a witness for me.

GLOW 08-01-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carsncars (Post 7050638)
I'd what you did too, because I hope if I was ever in a similar situation (knock on wood), that someone would be upstanding enough to be a witness for me.

ditto.

i did what RFlush did too on my own time. And i returned a letter to the lawyer of the person who i thought caused the accident b/c I was getting hassled w/ legal letters from that lawyer, but i was pretty general.

when i spoke w/ the arbitrator on my own time i explained the story and what I remembered (it was like 2 years later). i basically only said what i could remember and told her to refer to the police statement I made at the time. It sucks all the legal stuff happens like years later. next time i'll remember to take notes.

another time i called in a hit & run b/c the car owner of the car that got screwed wasnt around. calling it in is easy, just get the # from icbc's website. they'll just take down your account of what info and what details you can provide. and you can choose to leave your contact info for further questions or not.