REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Glasses - full rim or half rim? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/621295-glasses-full-rim-half-rim.html)

jhxb 08-02-2010 12:30 AM

Glasses - full rim or half rim?

I've never liked half rim glasses and never gotten one before. Do you think full rim or half rim looks better? Yeah yeah, it's personal preference, but I want your opinion. Also, which brands do you recommend? I see a lot of Armanis and they look quite nice.

nabs 08-02-2010 12:33 AM

I have had em all, and trust me you would get sick of having frameless/half rim glasses, you have to be ultra careful with them, or else once they get bent by mistake its all over.

I enjoy my emporio armani full rim glasses.

tiger_handheld 08-02-2010 09:34 AM

D&G half rim :)

twitchyzero 08-02-2010 10:03 AM

half-frames aren't that fragile
i'm semi-rough with my glasses so the paint always chips off after a while...the current plastic hugo boss one that i have doesn't have this issue anymore.

jnesss 08-02-2010 11:36 AM

i don't believe it's down to personal preference, but rather whether the rim style suits the shape of your face. go out and try some on.

freakshow 08-03-2010 02:06 PM

It depends on your face.. you have to go try them out.

TheStreetDream 08-03-2010 02:58 PM

D&G half and full are always nice, and as those 2 said, it depends on your face

iamon 08-10-2010 11:55 AM

i really like my Tag Heuer Half Rim glasses, i'm pretty rough with them too and havent had a problem, I have a very high perscription and most places usually say they cant do it for such a high Rx but I found a place and am quite happy with the look

TOS'd 08-10-2010 01:35 PM

I have half rims right now, and I sometimes fall asleep with my glasses on by accident. Anyways, I find that sometimes I end up sleeping on them and bending an arm slightly out of place, its a pain to bend back because the frame is just on top, and the lens is held in by that clear rubber string thingy. When I try to bend it back into place, I just fear the rubber snapping, and the lens falling out lol. But if you aren't careless half rims are quite durable.

TheNewGirl 08-10-2010 02:12 PM

I have 3 pairs of glasses (I highly recommend taking advantage of the 2 for 1 deals pearl vision often has). I go full rims. I found the half rims to be way too flimsy in the past.

I've got a super light pair of DKNYs that are plastic rather then metal that I wear to work most days, then two pricier metal frames that are more situational - on pair's dressy, one pair's sporty.

As many have said a big key is also going in to try them on. Your face shape and what image you're trying to project are the major factors. And as I said, if you find a place that will give you 2 for 1 - get both.

Culverin 08-10-2010 09:34 PM

Practicality-wise,

I think it depends how well made the glasses are and how abusive you are.
I was never kind to mine and always ended up trashing my glasses.

But lately I've started wearing contacts for sports and as a result, I've gotten kinder to my glasses, and have ventured into half-rim territory. They've held up surprisingly well, not one pair has broken on me yet.

I don't really understand everybody's obsessions with brand names for glasses, it seems to me that how they fit on your face and how they make you look has nothing to do with brands.

But to each his own? including the brand-whores :rolleyes:

busdriverman 08-10-2010 10:22 PM

i prefer half rim because
1. looks sleeker
2. increased visibility

filth 08-12-2010 03:03 PM

http://www.hdosport.com/prodimages/c...a--G-15XLT.jpg

Ray Ban Clubmasters, if you can pull them off.

sleazyho 08-12-2010 08:50 PM

I'm not really a fan of the full-rim. I have a pair of half-rims which I think compliments my face nicely and I plan on trying out some rimless ones for my next pair.

6793026 08-13-2010 10:36 AM

i have like 7 pairs of glasses and it was great to finally get sometthing that wasn't a full rim. you'll enjoy it if you want a lighter profile

darkfroggy 08-14-2010 06:34 PM

You can't really say one looks better. IT DEPENDS ON THE FACE OF THE PERSON WEARING THEM.

What do you mean the Armanis look nice? There's a million Armani eyeglasses in every style. Glasses are not supposed to be judged by brand; they are supposed to be judged on how well they fit you. Most of you can't tell what brand eyeglasses a person is wearing without seeing the logo.

sean_wong 08-15-2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 7063433)
Practicality-wise,

I think it depends how well made the glasses are and how abusive you are.
I was never kind to mine and always ended up trashing my glasses.

But lately I've started wearing contacts for sports and as a result, I've gotten kinder to my glasses, and have ventured into half-rim territory. They've held up surprisingly well, not one pair has broken on me yet.

I don't really understand everybody's obsessions with brand names for glasses, it seems to me that how they fit on your face and how they make you look has nothing to do with brands.

But to each his own? including the brand-whores :rolleyes:

After reading your post, I would expect that you are wearing dollar store frames and lenses and/or contacts. If not, go choke on a door knob.