REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Cops with Attitude (https://www.revscene.net/forums/621315-cops-attitude.html)

hchang 08-02-2010 02:33 PM

Cops with Attitude

TL;DR

tiger_handheld 08-02-2010 03:35 PM

could've gotten the victims license plate # and reported it to ICBC ? incase the cops try to screw over the poor old lady..

seekerbeta 08-02-2010 07:50 PM

if it does happen again (and ive done this before to much success) ask the cop (as politely as possible) if this would be the behavior they would be presenting to the general public if their supervisor or a media crew was here. they will usually go to their "by the book" mode at that point, and try to threaten you, but don't let them get to you, there is no reason at anytime for a professional like a police officer to use foul language. gently ask for their badge number, and then report it to the office the next day, the watch/detachment commanders take accusations of unprofessionalism very seriously.

BallPeenHammer2 08-02-2010 09:40 PM

I would recommend reporting to ICBC right away, and let them know the story. I would also contact a VPD detachment right away. I believe one of their head offices is by 3rd ave and cambie-ish.

I wouldn't let this slide. I've taken enough attitudes from police officers myself, and have told several to maybe reconsider their words/actions before I report them.

I know there are officers on this forum, and I ask you all this: Not all cops are assholes, but a lot i've met are. Are there measures the public can take for bad behaviour? To be honest, 8 out of 10 I meet are straight-up assholes. It doesn't bode well for the public, to be receptive of them, especially in light of the various high-profile "mistakes" both the VPD and RCMP have made in the last several years.

I was on robson and denman on fireworks night, going for dinner. I saw 2 female officers harass and search 3 different groups of youths walking up the street, regular kids, maybe no more than 16-ish. Dump their backpacks, and question them. I had to step in on the 3rd group and ask them "Why aren't you searching the group of 5 twenty-somethings that JUST came out of the liquor store with 2 mickeys and a six pack?" The answer I got was "mind your own business, we can search whoever the hell we want"

And before anyone bashes me for what I said, I'm generally a pretty even-tempered, polite guy. If I had an inquiry, I would politely ask. I have been hasseled by some officers just for that sometimes

jackmeister 08-02-2010 09:54 PM

just curious.. are there secret-shopper type programs for police?

lancergts1986 08-02-2010 10:05 PM

I agree with u guys, cops are assholes on the job. But there are a few cops and fire fighters who come to my work to shop who all seem really nice, maybe because they are off the job? I ran into a little incident with the cops at 49th and victoria one time. I was going straight on 49th, i proceeded foward on the green light on the right lane cause there was a car turning left on the left lane, and i had to change lane quickly becasue there was a truck infront of me, so as soon as i changed lane, this cop car suddenly pulled out of the petro canada and stopped right in infront of me with no lights or nothing, i slammed on my brake and come in inches within t-boning the cop car, for second i thought i did something wrong and this is thier way of pulling me over. But the car was trying to turn left from the gas station and it stoped becasue there was a car going the opposite direction. And the cop also stared me down after he turned as if i did something wrong. I can understand this from an average careless driver, because it was late at night. But they were cops, shouldnt they be more careful and be more responsible than us? on a side note, this is not the first time i have seen cops driving recklessly for no obvious reasons.

pokchop 08-03-2010 01:31 AM

My friend got into an accident with a cop car a while ago, what happened was that my friend was going straight during a green light. There was also a car turning left beside my friends car as well.
Then a cop car arrives at the intersection pretty much at the same time trying to go across. And without stopping for the red light, the cop turns on his police lights for less then a second to rush through the intersection and ended up T-boning my friend's car...
While my friend was still in shock caused by the accident, the cop immediately stepped out and started yelling at my friend about not yielding to the police and stuff.
good thing it was a busy intersection, there were a bunch of witnesses that didn't even see the police lights ever coming on.
but in the end, ICBC still claimed it to be a 50/50 accident. apparently they found a witness that did see the police lights coming on for a second lol...
i think ICBC will find any way possible to favor the police, since i believe the police insurance rate will always be the same; whereas if a regular citizen is at fault for a collision, their insurance rate will go up :o

Qmx323 08-03-2010 10:31 AM

The power of authority.

Some cops can handle it without being dicks, some can't.

Comes with the job

taylor192 08-03-2010 10:53 AM

edit.

Inaii 08-03-2010 11:18 AM

Taylor, he says the cop had NO lights or sirens on.
Posted via RS Mobile

Oleophobic 08-03-2010 11:19 AM

^ i can see you can't read
Posted via RS Mobile

post directed at taylor

fsy82 08-03-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7053804)
I wish cops could take away the license of some people and send them back for retesting - this lady included. Yes it is not right for them to yell at her, yet someone needs to inform her of the severity of her actions and that she doesn't know the rules of the road. Unfortunately our lax driving regulations don't allow the officers to punish her fittingly for not obeying a very important rule of the road.

If an emergency vehicle has its lights and/or sirens on, you're expected to pull over and stop. She kept going, and needs to relearn this lesson.

The number of people I see following emergency vehicles, or not pulling over to stop, or panicking like deer caught in headlights and stopping in the way, ... it makes me cringe.

I would fail you but i cant since their isnt a fail button in this section

SpoonFit 08-03-2010 02:02 PM

edit:

taylor192 08-03-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 7053828)
Taylor, he says the cop had NO lights or sirens on.

Good catch. I skimmed the story cause it was too much drama for such a simple story.

In that case screw the cop, lights and sirens are required to pull dangerous/illegal moves.

nns 08-04-2010 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 (Post 7053240)
I wouldn't let this slide. I've taken enough attitudes from police officers myself, and have told several to maybe reconsider their words/actions before I report them.

I like this. Bring them back down to reality.

bloodmack 08-04-2010 02:30 PM

I've only had 1 encounter with a bad attitude cop, he had tried to convince me that he can take my license away if I disputed a ticket he gave me, then he went to tell me that he could take me down, "easily" even though i was 2x his size. I hadn't mentioned anything about being bigger then him, but, I guess he was intimidated. I told him I'll see you in a year. A year later, I went and he didn't show up, ticket gone :). When it comes to cops, you just have to stand your ground, but, do not present yourself as a threat.

Harryt 08-04-2010 06:27 PM

People face the fact.. It doesn't matter on WHAT we say or do against a cop who is being unethical. Really, if you report them nothing will be done. They will send you and the report file in circles.

At the end of the day if you want shit done. You NEED proof. Next time tape the cop on ur cell. Then send it to the media or a local news channel. The cops are only scared when they have 75%+ of the people in the mainland watching these guys. That is when action will be taken, because cameras will be all over them.

All those tazed victims and assault cases.. WHY did the ones we noticed in the media get pushed far? Because the media put tons of pressure and so did the public. However, think about how many cases as mentioned above will never get resolved... all because there is no pressure on them to do anything about it.

This is the real world so wake up and sniff the new air.

Harryt 08-04-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I wish cops could take away the license of some people and send them back for retesting - this lady included. Yes it is not right for them to yell at her, yet someone needs to inform her of the severity of her actions and that she doesn't know the rules of the road. Unfortunately our lax driving regulations don't allow the officers to punish her fittingly for not obeying a very important rule of the road.

If an emergency vehicle has its lights and/or sirens on, you're expected to pull over and stop. She kept going, and needs to relearn this lesson.

The number of people I see following emergency vehicles, or not pulling over to stop, or panicking like deer caught in headlights and stopping in the way, ... it makes me cringe.
In some cases you CAN'T pull over. I've been there in times when the right side has cars everywhere and there is only 1 lane on each side + cars on the right sides... I normally just come to a dead stop if there is no room to move any where. Chances are the emergency vehicle will use the opposite lane anyways.

buddy 08-06-2010 04:52 PM

"if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

AccordCouped 08-13-2010 12:49 AM

learn MMA ( edited )

zulutango 08-13-2010 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7054080)
Good catch. I skimmed the story cause it was too much drama for such a simple story.

In that case screw the cop, lights and sirens are required to pull dangerous/illegal moves.

The Act does not require the emerg gear to be on but policy says it must, unless it will restrict your duties...eg coming up onto a situation where they would scare off or tip off the bad guys and let them escape. However if you go silent then you open yourself up to even more potential problems. In the case here the way the OP described what happened I can't see why the lights were not used, but then I was not there to see the entire situation unfold, only the OP, who maybe has a subjective opinion of what happened.

Unless you have tried to direct traffic at crash/fire scenes before you have never seen how stupid drivers can be. Even when given clear directions they continue to disobey them and endanger the ERs at the scene. I worked with 2 Members who had been hit by stupid drivers at scenes, saw many close calls and was almost hit a couple of times myself. People fixate on the crash and not on the traffic directions. I'm sure the firefighters experience is not much different. After a while you get gun-shy and have very little tolerance for inattentive drivers. Maybe this is some of what may have been behind some of the responses by the ER's in this case?

Exemption for emergency vehicles
122 (1) Despite anything in this Part, but subject to subsections (2) and (4), a driver of an emergency vehicle may do the following:

(a) exceed the speed limit;

(b) proceed past a red traffic control signal or stop sign without stopping;

(c) disregard rules and traffic control devices governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions;

(d) stop or stand.

(2) The driver of an emergency vehicle must not exercise the privileges granted by subsection (1) except in accordance with the regulations.

(3) [Repealed 1997-30-2.]

(4) The driver of an emergency vehicle exercising a privilege granted by subsection (1) must drive with due regard for safety, having regard to all the circumstances of the case, including the following:

(a) the nature, condition and use of the highway;

(b) the amount of traffic that is on, or might reasonably be expected to be on, the highway;

(c) the nature of the use being made of the emergency vehicle at the time.

netfreak 08-13-2010 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccordCouped (Post 7066427)
learn MMA

You mean win for the rest of us because you'll be a corpse on the road with several bullet holes?

Mugen EvOlutioN 08-13-2010 07:50 AM

cops.....makes me shake my head

why am i not surprised that they have shitty attitude plus power tripping by threatening people.

My buddy got pulled over the other day, and every single sentence that came out of the cop's mouth was followed by the word "FUCK"
:rolleyes:

very fucking professional

Soundy 08-13-2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7066522)
Exemption for emergency vehicles
122 (1) Despite anything in this Part, but subject to subsections (2) and (4), a driver of an emergency vehicle may do the following:

(a) exceed the speed limit;

(b) proceed past a red traffic control signal or stop sign without stopping;

(c) disregard rules and traffic control devices governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions;

(d) stop or stand.

(2) The driver of an emergency vehicle must not exercise the privileges granted by subsection (1) except in accordance with the regulations.

(3) [Repealed 1997-30-2.]

(4) The driver of an emergency vehicle exercising a privilege granted by subsection (1) must drive with due regard for safety, having regard to all the circumstances of the case, including the following:

(a) the nature, condition and use of the highway;

(b) the amount of traffic that is on, or might reasonably be expected to be on, the highway;

(c) the nature of the use being made of the emergency vehicle at the time.

I don't see anything in there about making a sudden U-turn without signalling in any way...

BallPeenHammer2 08-13-2010 02:15 PM

with the police being the way they are, it's no wonder the average person has no respect for them, nor do they see them as people who protect and "serve".