REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Beginners Golf (https://www.revscene.net/forums/621459-beginners-golf.html)

MelonBoy 08-04-2010 09:41 AM

Beginners Golf

Anyone recommend some golf tips, websites, or books for a beginner golfer.

Just picked up the sport recently and cant seem to stop playing.. but my shot is horrible and I would love to improve it.

alwaysideways 08-04-2010 09:49 AM

Pay the few extra bucks for professional lessons! It will help your game more than you think. Also just youtube your favorite players swings and listen to the commentary to find out what makes their swing great, then try to incorporate that into yours....but seriously get lessons and learn to swing properly before you develop nasty habits!

tacobell 08-04-2010 09:14 PM

golf is such a technical sport that it's difficult to improve just from youtube clips, reading, etc. Get lessons from a pro, they'll give you instant feedback on your swing. Golf is pretty much practice, practice and more practice. I've probably spent over $10k over the years from just buckets of balls at the range so definitely you gotta put in the time, but remember, have fun too.

MelonBoy 08-09-2010 12:00 AM

haha, ya I go to the driving range one every 2-3days... Also have 4 private lessons.
I just mainly would like a book or 2, just to read about any pointers or concepts (ex. why the ball goes right sometimes, ways to improve putting, or how to properly chip a ball..)

Please post any good videos you may have thought would be useful..

I personally like this tip which helped me figure out how to find my distant in stance..

illicitstylz 08-09-2010 07:55 AM

Yeah for golf, since it's ALL form, you really need an instructor as there's so many intricacies to a swing.

senseazn 08-09-2010 08:13 AM

hardest sport in the world to be consistent at if u dont play more often. just look at tiger LOL

no for real, lessons from a GOOD pro will go a long way. getting first hand advice and video on your swing will help you. and then its up to u to practice practice practice. always remember, your short game is ALWAYS more important then your long game. dont matter how many balls u can hit at the range if u cant putt, chip, and pitch it into the hole! hope that helps.

ws6ta 08-09-2010 08:37 AM

recommendations on who to get lessons from around here?

Jmac 08-09-2010 09:41 PM

12-Step Program

Step 1 - Swing Lessons
Step 2 - Practice
Step 3 - Swing Lessons
Step 4 - Practice
Step 5 - Swing Lessons
Step 6 - Practice
Step 7 - Custom-Fit Clubs (Length, Lie, Flex)
Step 8 - Invest in some good balls (i.e. Not distance balls)
Step 9 - Get some good, comfortable attire (Shoes, Shirt, Pants/Shorts, Glove)
Step 10 - Practice
Step 11 - Practice
Step 12 - Practice

matter 08-10-2010 09:01 AM

Go get/dl Phil Mickelsons DVD on short game....just came out recently?
helped my friend out lots.