REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 11-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #26
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polvoronn View Post
I don't like Medina, but that's cuz I went there expecting the most epic waffles I've ever had. It wasn't. It was small, stale, and not what reviews would lead you to believe. Brunch was decent, but their mediocre (to me) food combined with the hour-long queue are enough to keep me from going back.
I know I'm going off-topic here but although I did originally recommend Medina, to this day, I've always felt that it was one of those places you only go to once, and only once. Again, for the same reasons you mentioned above.

People rave about their ever-so-epic waffles - I had one and it was like...okay? What next? The same goes for their food. While the presentation was nice, there was nothing mind-blowing about it nor was it worth the hour long wait combined with the queue for a table. All said and done, Medina is not worthy of taking out-of-town guests to for breakfast/brunch.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #27
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Try The Dockside Restaurant at the Granville Island Hotel. Kill two birds with one stone since it's a tourist attraction.

There's also Marmalade Kitchen & Bar on the other side of the water under the Burrard Bridge. Call ahead in advance to make sure breakfast/brunch is served.
I made reservations for the Dockside Restaurant for tmw morning. We paddled by it every practice during dragonboat season, and I remember seeing it all the time. The location is super nice, and the menu is not bad too, so we'll see after tmw!

Thanks
NimbeeTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #28
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
I know I'm going off-topic here but although I did originally recommend Medina, to this day, I've always felt that it was one of those places you only go to once, and only once. Again, for the same reasons you mentioned above.

People rave about their ever-so-epic waffles - I had one and it was like...okay? What next? The same goes for their food. While the presentation was nice, there was nothing mind-blowing about it nor was it worth the hour long wait combined with the queue for a table. All said and done, Medina is not worthy of taking out-of-town guests to for breakfast/brunch.
What time do you go? I've never waited an hour, nor even 10 minutes for a seat. The waffles aren't to die for but they're probably one of the best in town from my experience. Nor do I know how they taste stale since they're freshly made.

If not, please share somewhere that has better?

JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #29
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Perhaps I'm being far too critical of Medina.

I have been there on several occasions with my lady friend and her friends just before the lunch rush. By no means did we have to wait an hour for a table but from the moment we were seated to the time we were served our food, about 45 minutes had already passed by. In my very own personal opinion, that is far just too much time to have wasted. Not that we were in a rush or expecting everything to come out in an instant, overall, the experience felt cumbersome. I value my time and understand that dining out sometimes can take up a lot of time, but not during the middle of the day. Not for me.

The waffles and food in general - Again, my very own opinion but breakfast/brunch should be simple. I feel as if they've over simplified, or rather, over engineered their dishes and foods in one or another beyond necessity. The prices they charge for their food and waffles don't seem to justify the basis of quality you get in return. Again, I'm being extremely picky about this and dissecting far beyond necessity. I'm sure they have their reasons to have such prices such as operational overhead but as a discerning customer, I don't feel as if they deserved my continued patronage.

My lady friend had shown me pictures of the food they serve along with several reviews of other mentally retarded self-proclaimed Vancouver food fail-bloggers prior to my initial visit - I had already shaped my opinion and was less than impressed, given the price point and outcome of food. If anything, Medina is nothing more than "a place to be" with the odd server who speaks French or has a French accent. Although I went in with a preconceived notion of what to think of the place, several visits to Medina had not changed my mind.

Waffles seem to be the next big thing alongside the froyo and fusion food phenomenon. I do not particularly care much for it.

Anyway, while I may come off as a mega asshole about this, but this is how I genuinely feel about Medina. That, and we're going waaaaay off-topic here.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #30
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
What time do you go? I've never waited an hour, nor even 10 minutes for a seat. The waffles aren't to die for but they're probably one of the best in town from my experience. Nor do I know how they taste stale since they're freshly made.

If not, please share somewhere that has better?

I went on a sunday around 1pm. Well busy.

The stale taste really comes from the texture. It's like it was overcooked or something. It was somewhat stiff and not the type where it's crispy on the outside and soft and warm on the inside. My benchmark for waffles are the waffles served at the Crystal Hut. While I've not had many waffles in my lifetime, those were, by far, the best I've ever had.

Hell yeah:
polvoronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #31
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
i know its not downtown, but i just went to burgoo for brunch and it was pretty good.
baked omelets are 12 bucks. would go again
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #32
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Anyway, while I may come off as a mega asshole about this, but this is how I genuinely feel about Medina. That, and we're going waaaaay off-topic here.
Everyones entitled to their on opinion lol. I have experienced that issue of waiting for food as well. It seems as though they want people to socialize more in their restaurant. Al though I do find myself just wanting to, order, eat, pay, and leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polvoronn View Post
My benchmark for waffles are the waffles served at the Crystal Hut. While I've not had many waffles in my lifetime, those were, by far, the best I've ever had.
Hmm Crystal Hut is all the way in Whistler. Its not even IN the village lol. Will be sure to check it out though.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote