REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 08-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #26
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
My Vespa has more displacement than a CBR125!

All jokes aside, the CBR125 is a great bike. I wouldn't mind getting one. It's got enough power and gearing for the city (at least for me anyway.) Acuracura has one. Maybe he'll chime in.
I’ve had my cbr125 as a daily commuter for 3 years now. It’s a great bike to get from A to B. Cheap to buy (2k used), cheap to ride (insurance/gas), and cheap to maintain (parts/service). The people who are dissatisfied with it are probably accustomed to riding 600-1000cc bikes or are expecting it to perform beyond its intended capabilities. Most critics haven’t actually experienced riding one and are basing it on looks or what they’ve heard from a friend of a friend.

Definitely take a course. Then figure out what you’re going to be using the bike for and the type of riding you’ll do. This will influence what type of bike and gear you get. Test ride all the bikes that fit the bill and get the appropriate gear. Buy the bike second hand as you’ll probably add damage to it and you may not like the bike after all.
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #27
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
That's $2K/yr just on the bike! Damn, I hope you don't have car insurance too. I remember being 22 and not being able to afford $1800/yr for my car, nevermind a bike too!
If I had car insurance, I wouldnt have a bike =[

I think a full year of car insurance for me would easily be in the range of 2.5-4K depending on the car. I used to own a 95 VW GTI VR6 and i remember a full years of insurance under my name would of been around 3.3K
Glaedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #28
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaedr View Post
I used to own a 95 VW GTI VR6 and i remember a full years of insurance under my name would of been around 3.3K
That's insane, I wouldn't even get insurance other than basic and liability for a car that old.

My 2003 C230 is only worth $6-8K (very high mileage), so I don't have collision or comprehensive on it, saves me $800/yr. It'll suck if I have a serious at fault accident, yet otherwise 5 years from now I'll have saved more than the car will be worth.

I was considering not getting collision or comprehensive on the bike too, since the first quote was $1200 from ICBC. Beacon quoted me $325, so it was hard to say no to that. Those prices are ontop of $900 ICBC basic.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #29
Banned By Establishment

look into the newer ninja 250. Nicer looking bike and more long term
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #30
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
look into the newer ninja 250. Nicer looking bike and more long term
+1

Ya the Newer Ninja 250's are nice looking, Kawasaki's 2011 Ninja 400R's are decent too.
Glaedr is offline   Reply With Quote