REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Class 7 roadtest in Richmond (https://www.revscene.net/forums/622269-class-7-roadtest-richmond.html)

Inaii 08-13-2010 04:56 PM

Class 7 roadtest in Richmond

So, like the title states, my roadtest for my N is in Richmond, next friday at 3:30. Has anyone taken it there before and maybe has some pointers for me? Or a route that they commonly take? I searched but I didn't see anything, so if this has been discussed already, a link would be most appreciated!

Also some general tips would be appreciated too if anyone is of a mind to share :)

bcrdukes 08-13-2010 05:02 PM

ICBC road tests will have multiple routes and change every day and on every test. There is not specific route so to say. In terms of general pointers, watch out for the dedicated bike lanes as to where you can and cannot enter for right turns.

Don't forgoet - school is out. If you approach a school zone, you are not required to slow down to 30km/h unless it is a double school/park zone or if you see a sign that denotes "Summer School." Only slow down if you see the 30km/h and Summer School sign, otherwise, drive accordingly and watch out for children.

Good luck! :)

TOPEC 08-13-2010 05:08 PM

when they start taking u off of the main roads, its a good bet that theres a school or park somewhere in there. some times the signs r very EASY to miss, so keep ur eyes peeled.

CorneringArtist 08-13-2010 05:20 PM

There's likely gonna be playground zones in there, if the residential areas in Richmond are structured anything like Langley's. Keep an eye out for the signs, especially ones partially blocked by tree branches.

Slifer 08-13-2010 05:21 PM

Make sure your hands are at 2 and 10 on the wheel. When turning, hands must be on the outside of the wheel. Know your hazard perception/parallel parking/3 point turn . I remember when I took the test, the instructor tricked me by telling me to park the car to the side of the road but was a sign that says no parking or there might be a fire hydrant nearby. So make sure to check for signs and only park when you're allowed to. Lastly, make sure you do shoulder checks, don't be afraid to exaggerate on your shoulder checks you want to make sure the instructor see you doing the checks.

That's all I can think of but do a search I'm sure this topic has been covered already..

Raid3n 08-13-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 7067149)
So, like the title states, my roadtest for my N is in Richmond, next friday at 3:30. Has anyone taken it there before and maybe has some pointers for me? Or a route that they commonly take? I searched but I didn't see anything, so if this has been discussed already, a link would be most appreciated!

Also some general tips would be appreciated too if anyone is of a mind to share :)

^lol missed that part did you?

GabAlmighty 08-13-2010 05:31 PM

I did mine drunk, passed with flying colours.

Porschedog 08-13-2010 05:34 PM

Always watch out for school and playground zones. :thumbsup:

tonyvu 08-13-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 7067187)
I did mine drunk, passed with flying colours.

why would you even drive drunk

Slifer 08-13-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 7067186)
^lol missed that part did you?

Ooops, anyways I did a search and found a few threads regarding this topic

These should be useful to you:-

http://www.revscene.net/forums/class...ghlight=n+test

http://www.revscene.net/forums/l-n-r...ht=n+road+test

GabAlmighty 08-13-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyvu (Post 7067193)
why would you even drive drunk

Because it's the safest way to travel...

Inaii 08-13-2010 05:58 PM

Neither are specifically for Richmond. I was asking mostly for tips on routes that the Richmond instructors take you on, since I am not very familiar with the area and wanted to have do my 1 hour warm-up on a route they're likely to choose. The general tips was an afterthought and very much appreciated :)

But thank you for looking and finding those for me! I did a search but I guess putting richmond in the search threw off the results.

iambuRnz 08-13-2010 07:15 PM

why dont you take the test on a more familiar road?

Inaii 08-13-2010 07:51 PM

I can't do hills, so that cancels everywhere else out :p besides, I'm not familiar with very many roads period.

bcrdukes 08-13-2010 08:05 PM

I did my Class 7 test in Richmond and passed on my first attempt even though I was unfamiliar with the roads. It is best to do your test in unfamiliar areas since you'll be on higher alert as opposed to an area you're familiar with, you'll likely repeat your bad habits and make mistakes.

orgasm_donor 08-13-2010 08:14 PM

When turning left at a traffic light do not creep up behind the guy turning left in front of you and squeeze in behind him as the light turns yellow - only one at a time theoritically! Testers are pretty tough on this one.

Shoulder check when turning right around a corner (check for bikes). This is another easily forgettable thing they test on.

bcrdukes 08-13-2010 10:23 PM

This might help with your road test being in Richmond.

kchan 08-14-2010 02:44 AM

also, if the instructor tells you to go on West Minister rd, the section between Garden City and No.4 is a 50km/h zone only after you pass no.5 and onto Shell rd it turns to a 60km/h but if you take that route you'll most likely turn left on No.4 then onto Odlin park after Alderbridge and into the neighborhood with cul-de-sacs etc.

no school zone there but watch out for kids around and other learners nearby lol and dont park near mailboxes around the park because your instructor will most likely tell you to do that.

fliptuner 08-14-2010 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 7067311)
I can't do hills, so that cancels everywhere else out :p besides, I'm not familiar with very many roads period.

I should fail you for this. lol

Are you doing the test in a 5spd? Cause otherwise I don't get it.

If you want to be on the safe side, take a lesson in Richmond, by the MVB for an hour, before the test. Then take the test in the driving school car.

I don't know if they still test this or not but if they make you do a straight backup, make sure your hand is on the 12 position on the wheel. This is true for parallel parking too. That's the only thing I got point for.

taylor192 08-14-2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor (Post 7067338)
When turning left at a traffic light do not creep up behind the guy turning left in front of you and squeeze in behind him as the light turns yellow - only one at a time theoritically! Testers are pretty tough on this one.

They are tough on this cause the car typically blocks the crosswalk when doing this, and you can get stuck stopped on the crosswalk if you cannot go in time.

taylor192 08-14-2010 09:33 AM

I met a young female evaluator in Richmond at a party. Se had tons of fun stories of various reasons people fail. Basically just drive normally and pay attention to the signs. You might get a few marks, yet you'll pass. Its the people who are overly nervous and very passive who fail.

Are you going from L to N?

Inaii 08-14-2010 09:47 AM

Lol, Flip go ahead, I don't care about fails. I was going to take it in my fb, but I'm now taking it in an auto. I also heard coq/bby is really hard to pass.

Thank you Mike for that link! It helps a lot!

Taylor, yep from L to N. Nervous, but I have 2 lessons the 2 days before my test and then an hour before the test itself to work everything out :)

Vulcan300 08-14-2010 09:57 AM

Your instructor should know the general roadtest routes, just ask him to take you around to familiarize with the area. Some pointers that I was taught, look take a glance both ways at every intersection to make sure cars aren't going to come speeding out. Also remember to check both ways before crossing the railway track. Know your hazard perception, and be able to back into a stall.

CP.AR 08-14-2010 10:03 AM

I wrote this HUGE long list I wrote for my friend in preparation for his test... hope it helps!

Quote:

Before you leave your house
o All signal lights work (no broken glass)
o Headlights work (high and lowbeam)
o All brakelights work
o Horn works
o Wipers work
**the slightest problem with your car and they will deem it “unsafe”

- Shoulder Checks when you:
o Lane change
o Turn left (right before you actually turn)
o Turn right (right before you actually turn)
o Make sure you actually twist your body when shoulder checking, or else they will classify it as a “head turning”, thus failing you

- Red Lights, Green Lights, Yellow Lights
o When I was tested they brought me out to No.3 where there were hidden Left Turn Signals EVERYWHERE. Watch out for those
o Make sure when you pass an intersection with a “Green light”
Always scan the road by looking “left, center, right”
o Try to the best of your ability to avoid yellow lights crossings, that means anticipate the lights, and look for patterns (pedestrian crossing lights, cars piled up on the intersecting road)

- Speed
o All roads in Richmond are 50km/h except
School zones – 30km/h (they really really have no leniency on this one, go over 30 and you fail)
• School zones officially start where the sign is, and end where the opposite sign is
Garden City from Cambie to Westminster (60km/h)
Alderbridge from Shell to Garden City (60km/h)

- Stopping (red lights, stop signs, whatever)
o Make sure you come to a COMPLETE STOP DO NOT ROLL
o If there is a car in front of you, leave a sufficient gap such that
You can see the rear wheels of the car ahead of you with ease

- Turning (left)
o Remember, only one car is allowed to be “out” in the middle of the intersection of any given time, meaning that you are STOPPED behind the double white lines if there is another car waiting to turn left
o Car must be straight (don’t “lean” your car out, keep it straight)
o If you must turn at a yellow light, make sure the other car is stopped/or is about to stop
o SHOULDER CHECK JUST BEFORE YOU TURN

- Turning (Right)
o If there is a stop sign, you must come to a complete halt for the stop sign before proceeding to poke your head out
o Watch for any people crossing
o SHOULDER CHECK JUST BEFORE YOU TURN

- Hazard Perception
o At any given time the examiner will ask you to “pull over when safe”
o Pull over, making sure
You are nowhere near a fire hydrant
You are pulled over in an area you are allowed to parallel park
• (ie: watch out for no parking signs)
o He/she will then ask you “please identify some hazards you see in this immediate area”
They list a bunch of them in that book they give you when you got your L, but here are some common ones
• Driveways, cars might come out
• Fire hydrants
• School zones
• Speed bumps
• Rain
• Glare from the sun
• Crosswalks
Just keep pointing random BS out, when they got the idea that you know what you are doing, they will ask you to stop

- Parallel Parking
o You are allowed as much time as you need, and it is up to you to find a spot when they ask to you park, so pick a spot where there are either no cars, or an oversized spot to make your life easier
o Always Signal
o Before engaging reverse, do a 360 degree check.
o Reverse, when the area is clear. STOP IF THERE IS A CAR COMING IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION, continue after they pass you
o Your car must be not touching the curb, and no more than a clipboard away (the longer side)

- Pulling Over
o Essentially the same thing as parallel parking, but you are expected to just “Dive into the spot”
o Watch for “no parking signs”
o MAKE SURE YOU SHOULDER CHECK BEFORE SIGNALLING+DIVING IN!
o The guy was nice to me, he said he could have failed me for that.

- Pulling Out
1. 360 degree check before you move
2. Signal
3. Shoulder Check
4. Move

monkeywrench 08-14-2010 10:27 AM

If you need an instructor to review most of the possible roads that will appear during the test and what to actually do on the test, my dad can help you review all that

If you're in Richmond you get a discount :D

PM me if you need an instructor

Just remember your driving style must be different than when you are driving casually, GL!