REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   can duties/taxes be reimbursed? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/622571-can-duties-taxes-reimbursed.html)

sleazyho 08-17-2010 02:58 PM

can duties/taxes be reimbursed?

I posted a bit of this in the Lastest Purchases thread, but now I have a couple more questions and those wouldn't really fit in that thread.

So I bought a jacket off ASOS.com. I paid for the slow shipping method so I don't get taxed. The jacket arrives, but it's defected. ASOS tells me to ship it back to them and they will refund me the shipping cost. They then ship me a replacement jacket via Express shipping. I received it today and the DHL guy charged me $20 for duties/taxes.

ASOS says this about customs/duties:
Quote:

Any customs or import duties are charged once the parcel reaches its destination country. These charges must be paid by the recipient of the parcel. We have no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be.
Can I still demand that they reimburse me for the customs/duties charged? I never asked them to ship the replacement by Express, they just did it themselves. I was never charged duties/taxes when the defected one arrived, so essentially ASOS's fucking lack of quality control cost me $20 and my time. I never even got a discount code or anything.

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated, thanks.

jackmeister 08-17-2010 03:02 PM

so they did the nicest thing they could and tried to expedite your shipment cost you 20 bucks?

why can't you think of it as 20 bucks that you were fortunate enough to not pay the first time, but had to pay the 2nd time?

bcrdukes 08-17-2010 03:27 PM

You ask CBSA for the refund, not ASOS. How to do this is on CBSA's website or call their information line.

gars 08-17-2010 07:22 PM

I don't think DHL will refund their brokerage fees tho.

CBSA might, if you show them that it was a replacement unit, and that you shipped out the defective one.

dmm 08-17-2010 09:35 PM

Vendor is supposted to mark the item as replacement, no value. This is a mistake on their shipping department, shipping declaration.

Last time I dealt with a company, I contacted them, sent them the paperwork from the taxes/duites, they mailed me a cheque.

sleazyho 08-18-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmm (Post 7071489)
Vendor is supposted to mark the item as replacement, no value. This is a mistake on their shipping department, shipping declaration.

Last time I dealt with a company, I contacted them, sent them the paperwork from the taxes/duites, they mailed me a cheque.

So would I take this to ASOS or the CBSA as mentioned by others above?

I would thank all your guys posts but my thanks button has been taken away by SkinnyPup :(

Harvey Specter 08-18-2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmm (Post 7071489)

+1.

This is always done when returning computer hardware. You could e-mail Asos and mention this and see what they say. They might not refund your money but instead give you $20 credit but no harm in trying Asos first to see what their response is.

bcrdukes 08-18-2010 10:41 AM

^
And double dip by asking CBSA for the taxes back. :p

sleazyho 08-19-2010 01:42 AM

Update:

I emailed ASOS and at first they were basically saying "not my problem, fuck off," so I bitched some more and hours later they replied saying they will 'happily' refund me the taxes. :D

Edit: Everything's cleared now, thanks guys!