REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   How can I figure out a name of the person calling me??? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/622576-how-can-i-figure-out-name-person-calling-me.html)

Alpine50 08-17-2010 04:38 PM

How can I figure out a name of the person calling me???

So this stupid number keros calling me and was texting me before. I think my friends are being really stupid and trying to mess around with me but it's really starting to piss me off.
Anyways I'm wondering is there a way for me or someone else could find out the name of the person that's calling me or any info on this number it's a telus number because I've tryed calling back and I've gotten the answering machine each time. If the person continues to call me today and tomorrow I'm probably going to get this number blocked but I'd really like to find out who it Is.

I'm thinking about calling the cops but I doubt they will give me a name bc there going to think I want to find this guy and do something.
But yeah if anyone has an idea on what I should do that would be awesome. Oh and I've already tryed that 411.com thing and it doesn't help
Posted via RS Mobile

jackmeister 08-17-2010 04:41 PM

this happened with my mom's phone. tried calling the police station non-emergency line and they said its something they can't control. called fido and they said they're unable to block specific numbers for liability reasons.

netfreak 08-17-2010 05:08 PM

Google the phone number. I usually do this with strange numbers that call me. If it's just some random person, you probably won't find anything unless they have their number posted somewhere online.

Alpine50 08-17-2010 05:38 PM

Haha I tryed that already nothing came up. But I'm not too worried about anything I just wanna know who it is because I know it's going to be someone I know no ransom would text and call saying the things say said plus I never give my number out to randoms
Posted via RS Mobile

sho_bc 08-17-2010 11:29 PM

We will tell you to a) have your service provider block the number, and b) change your number.

If you do that, and continue to get the calls/texts, we can write whats called a production order to receive the phone number's owner information and go ahead with charges.

If you aren't willing to co-operate with a police investigation involving charges of criminal harassment (ie. likely involves a friend you don't want to get in trouble), I can't think of a single co-worker willing to go through the hours that it'll take to write a production order and get it approved by a judge.

Alpine50 08-18-2010 11:00 AM

Are you a cop? But ummm thanks it's all good it ain't that big if a deal that I'm really willing to change my number. If they call me back a bunch of times I'll just get the number blocked. I don't wanna go through a hudge hassle bc it's not that big of a deal if this was a everyday thing or like they kept calling and texting me maybe but it's all good. I just wish there was a way for me to find out who it is really is.

Anyone work for telus and wanna get me info? Lol
Posted via RS Mobile

vafanculo 08-18-2010 11:15 AM

Ask them their name when they call
Posted via RS Mobile

sho_bc 08-18-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine50 (Post 7072037)
Are you a cop?

Yes.
Posted via RS Mobile

Alpine50 08-18-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafanculo (Post 7072051)
Ask them their name when they call
Posted via RS Mobile

All they do is yell and I've never been able to say anything so I just swear back and hang up. Haven't gotten a call so what ever hopefully it doesn't happen again
Posted via RS Mobile

edit: sho-bc //// so if someone ever does that to anyone the only option of getting some info is to go through all that? Block them and if they continue change your number and if they still get it then call the cops. That just seems like a shit load of work for such a simple thing to find, couldn't the cops simply call telus be like what's the persons info on this number then problem solved? Not trying to be rude or anything but that's seems so much easier

sho_bc 08-18-2010 03:33 PM

Unfortunately, things aren't that easy. People have a reasonable expectation of privacy (read up on Charter Rights) and for us to infringe upon that privacy, we have to show a judge that we believe that breaching that privacy to gain the information will give us the identity of the offender, in order to pursue charges. They're not super complicated to write after you've written a few, but they do take time to write and get approved.

One of many hurdles along the way in the pursuit of justice.
Posted via RS Mobile

Volitaire 08-18-2010 06:12 PM

You don't need a production order, it's a quick e-mail or fax to obtain subscriber info (police only).. case law.. not protected info... you only need order for call logs.. however if its pay as u go, it'll be fake info

Alpine50 08-18-2010 08:01 PM

^^^^^ so u can get it for me? Or no :( lol
if not it's all good I won't bother doing anything like I was saying I just wish I could know which name shows up for myself
Posted via RS Mobile

Soundy 08-18-2010 08:10 PM

I dunno about blocking it, but I'd be asking Telus to make sure all these calls and texts aren't counting against my airtime...

sho_bc 08-18-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volitaire (Post 7072447)
You don't need a production order, it's a quick e-mail or fax to obtain subscriber info (police only).. case law.. not protected info... you only need order for call logs.. however if its pay as u go, it'll be fake info

Good to know. I've had issues with cell phone providers, particularly Telus and Virgin, providing any kind of information unless it was an emergency.

jlenko 08-18-2010 11:16 PM

Ever try calling the numbers from a different phone?

Alpine50 08-19-2010 01:54 AM

Yeah me and someone else tryed no luck. What I'm going to try tho is take one of my friends cell phones and type the number in and maybe they'll have the person in there phone who knows
Posted via RS Mobile

Volitaire 08-19-2010 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 7072547)
Good to know. I've had issues with cell phone providers, particularly Telus and Virgin, providing any kind of information unless it was an emergency.

Pm me with your work email and i'll send you the contact info
Posted via RS Mobile