REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Suit tailor in Hong Kong? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/622588-suit-tailor-hong-kong.html)

canucksfan 08-17-2010 09:04 PM

Suit tailor in Hong Kong?

I'm heading to Hong Kong at the end of the month, anyone have any experience with tailors in Hong Kong? I heard it used to be the place to get suits, I'm not sure if it's still the case.

Around how much will it cost and how long does it take?

ilvtofu 08-18-2010 12:45 AM

I saw one on the gossip mags last month which says u can get a whole suit made for under 100CAD, I think it was in central/admiralty area there are a few there I think

RFlush 08-18-2010 03:19 AM

Cheap suits are cheap and look cheap. Your post is too vague, what is your budget?

They can range from $500hkd to $5000 and even higher.
Posted via RS Mobile

Walperstyle 08-18-2010 05:48 AM

Hong Kong isn't as cheap as Makow.

The important thing is to learn how to Barter. Even when you think its cheap, go lower.

canucksfan 08-18-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFlush (Post 7071793)
Cheap suits are cheap and look cheap. Your post is too vague, what is your budget?

They can range from $500hkd to $5000 and even higher.
Posted via RS Mobile

I want a really nice looking suit for work, would $250CAD or ~2000HKD get the job done?

Honyoung 08-18-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walperstyle (Post 7071818)
Hong Kong isn't as cheap as Makow.

The important thing is to learn how to Barter. Even when you think its cheap, go lower.

its spelled macau

6793026 08-18-2010 10:41 AM

you get what you pay for, and yes while you can get some shit super cheap, the material is what you want to get good quality for.

i gave up on suit, i have a tailor in hk that made my jackets and they are freaking same price as Zara, but i custom design my own.

G 08-18-2010 10:48 AM

I had a suit done at G2000 and it was pretty good, very nicely fitted since they measure etc etc...Recommended!

I forgot the price though, it was paid by someone else as a gift :P

RFlush 08-18-2010 05:43 PM

Uh G2000 is NOT a custom suit. That's buying it off the rack and having it slightly altered for length. For $200-$250cdn you might be able to get a decent suit. Just avoid the tourist traps. If you find anything under $150cdn, most likely it will be 1 fitting and offsourced in shenzhen.

If u were to spend up to $350 you can get a good suit. Ill post the link later.
Posted via RS Mobile

canucksfan 08-18-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFlush (Post 7072415)
Uh G2000 is NOT a custom suit. That's buying it off the rack and having it slightly altered for length. For $200-$250cdn you might be able to get a decent suit. Just avoid the tourist traps. If you find anything under $150cdn, most likely it will be 1 fitting and offsourced in shenzhen.

If u were to spend up to $350 you can get a good suit. Ill post the link later.
Posted via RS Mobile

Awesome thanks.

How does buying a suit off the rack and getting it altered at like Zegna/Hugo Boss/etc. compare with getting one tailored (price wise)? Is it even possible to get a name brand suit like that in Hong Kong for the price that I'm willing to pay? I did a quick google search and it looks pretty impossible to get a name brand suit within my budget...

My concern with tailoring is that even though it's going to fit you perfectly, you have no idea what the suit is going to look like until it's finished. With off the rack I guess you get to see what it looks like first.

RFlush 08-18-2010 09:00 PM

Here are some good tailor shop sin HK. Mind you, it won't be cheap cheap suits. If you want a good quality, then go here. If you really want to cheap out and save money (not that its bad to do that) then you can go to Hollywood Shopping Arcade in MK for $500 suits.

Otherwise here:

http://www.jantzentailor.com/
http://www.samstailor.biz/
http://www.raja-fashions.com/

Getting off the rack will cost you more. It won't fit your $350 budget. I know Hugo Boss was having a sale and many of the suits were around $5000HKD so you can do the math on that. Regular prices are roughly $7500.

Walperstyle 08-18-2010 09:02 PM

I'm not sure of suits in China, but I know many hand bags that look like knockoffs are actually the real deal. Thats the beauty of everything being made in China, chances are its not a knockoff, but rather a, fell off the shipping line, lol.

suzuka84 08-18-2010 09:52 PM

for a good quality suit you'll spend the same price as something made locally but with better fabrics - think zegna cloth.

beatdownvictim 08-18-2010 10:02 PM

lol at suggesting sams or raja's

search on styleforum

TopazX5 08-19-2010 01:08 AM

^ don't forget Peter Lee !

MoBettah 08-20-2010 11:53 AM

Me and my brother in law have had suits and shirts done at Tai Pan row, i strongly recommend it. It's quite a bit outside most of the budgets mentioned here though.

djm 08-21-2010 05:55 AM

Quote:

Gordon Yao (Royal Garden Hotel TST), WW Chan (Canton Road), Y William Yu (Mody Road TST) will all off you decent quality fully canvassed suits.

Shirts try Ascot Chiang.

Sams is a crap tailor (as is Raja) designed purely to trap tourists.
Also try Peter Lee of Lee Baron for suits & shirts. Jantzen also seems to be recommended for shirts.

beatdownvictim 08-21-2010 08:34 AM

heard many good things about lee baron and will probably give him a shot next time im in HK

had 2 suits done with Baron Kay and love both but not the experience there with the fittings

inzomniak 08-21-2010 05:38 PM

Tai Pan Row is definitely good. Again, it is a bit more expensive than other places.

I think most bankers in Central go to that place to get suits down. I had 2 buddies from Van make 2 suits and about 10 shirts. Took about 2 weeks...

StylinRed 08-22-2010 02:21 AM

Punjab House http://www.punjabhouse.com.hk/ the best in hk

you'd be better off going to Shanghai or Macau or Vietnam though (hell most the tailors in HK are using shanghai workers)

going to HK to get a suit would be like going to the UK

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatdownvictim (Post 7072675)
lol at suggesting sams or raja's

search on styleforum

for his Budget though they're probably the best bet and they are probably the most famous ;) their marketing is $$ hell Bill Clinton had his suit made at Sams

and if you go to Rajas they have an office at the Sheraton where they're taking measurements, i suppose, in September from the 12th to 15th

edit:

oh yeah Ying Tai http://yingtaitailor.silver.yp.com.hk/

my friend uses them he loves them and they look good figured id throw that in for u to consider; they're originally from Shanghai (seriously you should just make a stop at Shanghai you could get Loro Piana type fabric for cheaaaap in comparison there)

Ch28 08-27-2010 09:50 PM

Good info!

I've been looking into getting something like this for awhile. Would 1 week be sufficient?

rawr 08-28-2010 05:32 PM

Just got back from HK, bought a few suits. Got two at G2000, and it was DIRT CHEAP. $400 HKD suit+pants, not tailored but it fit pretty well. The other was a newer one so I only got 15% off on it, and it was about $875 HKD.

Made me feel stupid for buying one locally few years ago at The Bay.

Alternatively, the higher end places such as Zegna for example, has really high quality suits. But they are considerably more expensive. Feels good, looks good!

Tapioca 08-31-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Jantzen also seems to be recommended for shirts.
For the price of about $50 CAD, you can't go wrong with Jantzen. I picked up 3 shirts, all monogrammed, for 320 HKD last year.

DawnJohny 03-28-2013 04:32 AM

Friend in Hong Kong there are so many tailors.But David Fashions is one of the best tailor.He made suits at reasonable prices with modern fabrics, designs etc.