REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 08-18-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
Best business class for pacific x-ing flight?

So as it turns out, I'm being invited for a business matter in Shanghai. The inviting party's rep in Canada will cover flight/hotel and they let me choose my own airline of choice in BUSINESS CLASS...

Since someone is paying the bill, I want to ask, what's the best option for business class? I don't mind having 1 stop in HK or TW as I can visit frds and families this way. Just want to have a good experience while I'm at it~

Did a quick search and found nth... if someone here travels frequently on business class, do share some exp. like how are the cabins, lounge... etc
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

singapore airlines, cathay pacific, all nippon airways, asiana
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific are probably the world's top luxury airlines (also Emirates & Qatar but I doubt they fly that route).

Similarly, I don't think you'll find any Singapore Airlines flights out of Vancouver that don't connect through SFO/LAX, so I'd suggest Cathay is probably your best bet. They fly direct from Vancouver to Hong Kong (Boeing 777 & 747) and have many flights each day between HK & Shanghai.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
too bad singapore airlines got rid of their vancouver to singapore flight.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
Retired moderator

Singapore Airlines ftw!!

Cathay is soo loud and crowded due Hongar mentality that Cathay is GOD and flying economy with them is a must...never understood that, I swear their economy seats are smaller than any other seats.

Anyhoo I liked Singapore Airlines a bit better because it was a bit quieter and less rowdy during boarding.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #6

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
I have been checking flights, how's Air Canada? I see they got flat-bed style seats, how is the service?

Singapore Air has 2 stops and it really adds up the total flight time, so it's out. Cathay seems good. But the wait time sucks, I have to wait 4hr for the flight to PVG, which sucks because that means I got no time to go in the city. I will check with Cathay to see what other option I have.

Thx for all the comments~
Old 08-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #7

I've never flown Air Canada Business Class (or any other for that matter), but lately I've found Air Canada customer service & aircraft to be top-notch. I really think they've improved a lot over the past 2-3 years.

My girlfriend was upgraded to Business Class on a recent trip to London (Air Canada), and said the lie-flat pod beds were fantastic.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

I've only done Cathay business class to Asia and it was good. I have never had good experiences with Air Canada, but I have only flown coach with them.

Best business class flight ever for me was British Airways. Was absolutely top notch.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
I've flown business to Asia via Air Canada and Cathay Pacific (on my parents' dime, LOL).

I have nothing to complain about service-wise with either airline WHEN IN business class. The seats are all superior to those you'd find in economy.

So the questions is - who has the nicer/newer planes?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Yeah, Air Canada has upped their level of business class, they don't fly with 747's anymore, I think they fly with an airbus of some sort, its a smaller plane but it does seem newer. I've never flew Cathay but overall I have no complaints with Air Canada.
MASTER_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
Need my Daily Fix of RS

i am headed for Vietnam in October and back through Bangkok in November. Any thoughts on Air China? It comes down to Air China and Cathay. Air China being $ 275 cheaper...
Seems like a slighty sketch airline in terms of service and such.
Any one have anything good or bad to say about Air China? I should mention that I will be flying economy and I am 6-4 and 250 pounds. lol...uncomfortable for sure.
rymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Best business class flight ever for me was British Airways. Was absolutely top notch.
I had heard BA was pretty good, but I was pretty disappointed on my last YVR-LHR-YVR trip. The plane was very old (if you see ashtrays in the bathroom in the plane you can be sure the plane is more than 10-15 years old) and the service was just mediocre. I'll have to give them another shot some other time but I wasn't impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTER_J View Post
Yeah, Air Canada has upped their level of business class, they don't fly with 747's anymore, I think they fly with an airbus of some sort, its a smaller plane but it does seem newer. I've never flew Cathay but overall I have no complaints with Air Canada.
I think most up to date fleets will fly Boeing 777's or Airbus A340's for long haul flights. I've surprisingly haven't flown Air Canada very much. However, I had my first opportunity about a year ago and was pleasantly surprised. The plane was fairly new and service was good. I recently flew Cathay and while the service was fairly good, I was about ready to destroy the slide out seats by the time my flight was over.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
I had heard BA was pretty good, but I was pretty disappointed on my last YVR-LHR-YVR trip. The plane was very old (if you see ashtrays in the bathroom in the plane you can be sure the plane is more than 10-15 years old) and the service was just mediocre. I'll have to give them another shot some other time but I wasn't impressed.
My recent experiences (although not on long-haul flights) have been equally disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
I think most up to date fleets will fly Boeing 777's or Airbus A340's for long haul flights. I've surprisingly haven't flown Air Canada very much. However, I had my first opportunity about a year ago and was pleasantly surprised. The plane was fairly new and service was good. I recently flew Cathay and while the service was fairly good, I was about ready to destroy the slide out seats by the time my flight was over.
Air Canada flies the 777 exclusively on its Asia flights I believe.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #14

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
air china, if there is no delay/errors during check in, is alright.. jsut have to deal with lots of mainlanders and indians who have no manners on the plan (talking loudly, bugging in lineups).

Cathy's business lounge @ YVR sucks balls. i would go with JAL since I enjoy their lounge at Narita + i can get some semi-authentic japanese food while im there
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

I food from Cathay Pacific Business Class is alright. Don't know about Air Canada though. If you like Asian food, cathay would be your best bet. As for the seating, cathay does it right. Very comfortable and the service is good too.
jhxb is offline   Reply With Quote