REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Toy goes missing (https://www.revscene.net/forums/623082-toy-goes-missing.html)

zumvette 08-23-2010 11:14 PM

Toy goes missing

A friend of mine had his snowmobile stolen, he called the police, they gave him a file number chatted with them for a bit then called his insurance company and set up a claim with them. He has a lot of money in extras in toy and is sad to see it gone. After this horrible day he comes home chills for a while and goes out to his truck to find a note saying:

if you want your sled back bring money xxxxxxxx dollars to xxxxxxxxxx place, come alone and you can have it back.

i told him id come along to help because if one of my toys went missing id be freakin pissed. what should we do? i know the smart answer is to call the police but he has a ton of dough into this thing and is willing to pay to get it back but im not sure how that would work with his insurance etc....

zumvette 08-23-2010 11:18 PM

if an officer needs to pm me please do

Culverin 08-24-2010 01:18 AM

Man, I had 1 run-in with the law before where they couldn't/didn't do anything.
I'm still very frustrated about it, and yes, I understand what is realistic for them to do.

But if our "justice" system doesn't bring justice to you... :rolleyes:

I don't encourage you to take matters into your own hands at all,
but lets say you contact your local police and they choose no to prioritize your case, honestly what is your friend going to do?

Now I know better, the police cannot/will not do everything to the ends of the earth to see justice, they just don't have the commitment, resources and ability.

So the big question for your friend is, now what are you going to do about it?

zulutango 08-24-2010 07:23 AM

They have now added extortion to the theft charges. Contract the Member who is handling your file immediately and let them know what is happening. Save the note. Hopefully you have not touched too much of the surface so that they can get prints from it?

You have no idea who you are dealing with and getting in touch with them can be very dangerous...you may end up ripped off for money as well,...or injured or even worse.

Soundy 08-24-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zumvette (Post 7078309)
After this horrible day he comes home chills for a while and goes out to his truck to find a note saying:

if you want your sled back bring money xxxxxxxx dollars to xxxxxxxxxx place, come alone and you can have it back.

RS beatdown crew!!

(kidding!)

Volitaire 08-24-2010 07:47 PM

Call the police and get them involved.. if you are in a area where they have the resources available they'll do the buy and arrest em.. otherwise you'll just robbed and/or killed in the middle of nowhere.

vafanculo 08-24-2010 09:09 PM

This is a toughie cause if your friend goes through 911 and people get arrested, the scumbags know where he lives.
Posted via RS Mobile

zumvette 08-24-2010 09:22 PM

unfortunately the letter has been handled a fair bit. Sorry. He was pretty stressed out about the thing and paceing around with it. Ive touched it, im sure his girlfriend has touched but maybe fingerprints can taken from it. I kinda thought was just on tv, i didnt think police would use resources like that for something so small unless they think its maybe connected to something much larger.

we are struggling on what to do to be honest. i know there could be some serious problems and we could get hurt but i dont think we would bring cash, maybe a bank draft or money order. he wants his toy back but wants to make sure that it is in decent shape still and not bent stripped etc

the honest thing if the sled was returned would be to stop insurance from paying him but who is going to pay the xxxxxxx dollars back? i feel bad about the shit luck

jbsali 08-24-2010 11:08 PM

i'd probably get the police involved. Theres a good chance that if your friend goes alone, with cash, that he'll probably just get mugged or worse: killed.

Your friend does risk having his property vandalized seeing the criminals know where he lives (if police are involved). If the criminals are caught, he could choose not to press charges in hopes that the guys wont touch/ vandalize his property again. They are criminals so that night not work either.

sho_bc 08-25-2010 09:44 AM

If you get the item back by going and giving the people money, you will not receive any compensation from the insurance company or anyone else. In doing so, you risk injury, being robbed, and future extortion attempts. After all, the people will know where he lives, and that he's willing to give away money without getting the police involved.

If you go through the police, there will be a chance of getting the item back, keeping your money, and getting these people arrested.

Phil@rise 08-25-2010 09:53 AM

A stolen sled is not worth much, same as quads etc thats why these douche canoes are trying to extort some money out of your buddy. I'm sure they are asking way more then what they could sell a hot sled for.
Once you give in tho they will attempt it again.

taylor192 08-25-2010 12:32 PM

This happened to my uncle - he arranged to meet the perps after contacting the police. The perps never showed.

6793026 08-27-2010 09:07 AM

the best thing to do is to do NOTHING.
don't contact the police cause again, as soemone have said, they KNOW your vehicle, license plate and where you live.

last thing you want to do is to get in shit.

you have your insurance claim and go through insurance. is it worth "all the upgrades" or someone knowing where you live.

the guy probably can't sell the thing anyways (due to all the upgrades)