REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #26
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
" but this typically isn't discovered until after his place of residence is known.

Therefore it is completely reasonable to conclude that location may in fact weigh in on any decision you make to ticket vs. warn."

No it is not completely reasonable to conclude that place of residence had anything to do with the issue of a VT...no more reasonable that to assume cars with plates ending in odd numbers/even numbers are more likely. What is reasonable to assume is that the driver broke the law. That is why a VT is being issued,
Advertisement
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #27
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
" but this typically isn't discovered until after his place of residence is known.

Therefore it is completely reasonable to conclude that location may in fact weigh in on any decision you make to ticket vs. warn."

No it is not completely reasonable to conclude that place of residence had anything to do with the issue of a VT...no more reasonable that to assume cars with plates ending in odd numbers/even numbers are more likely. What is reasonable to assume is that the driver broke the law. That is why a VT is being issued,
But a VT isn't always issued when the driver does break the law.

We've seen plenty of posts here and on other forums talking about how out of state/province drivers are targeted.

An officer knows that the risk of contesting the charge is low, and we all know that revenue from traffic fines is considered to be an important income stream for the province (or state) budget.

If driving history and attitude are factors in determining whether a ticket or warning will be issued, why is it completely unreasonable to think that location plays a part too?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #28
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
This may come as a surprise to you but the issuing Member does not get a cut of the uncontested revenue. My paycheque does not go up if I write more VTs. As far as court goes, same thing..in fact if didn't want to be out working I could write more VTs that are likely to be disputed...that way I could hang around the courthouse and "not work".

A VT is not always issued when a law is broken, or often not all the qualifying VTs are issued. It's called discretion and has nothing to do with residence. If a VT is valid, it is valid. I have issued VTs and warnings to both locals and visitors. If by `targeted`you mean...stopped for breaking the law, then what problem do you have with that. If we follow your line then only locals should be ticketed and you should be free to do whatever you wnated as long as you don`t do it in your home town..and there is much smaller likelyhood of an out of Province or out of State Vt being paid...so why waste your time is all you are doing all this is for the money anyway.....
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #29
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
This may come as a surprise to you but the issuing Member does not get a cut of the uncontested revenue.
I never said or implied that you did get a cut of it.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
We've seen plenty of posts here and on other forums talking about how out of state/province drivers are targeted.
Yeah... usually from those who actually get the tickets and come online to bitch about it. Statistically speaking, those numbers mean jack $#!T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #31
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

eh sorry about the flames =\

only wanted to know why in the world would there be no system to dispute non-local tickets...

I drive a 16 year old car and have a clean record, i wouldnt expect highway patrol officers to really count me in for a $196 for going 110km/h (130 as the officer told me) on cruise on an empty highway. The 20 km difference from what i had on my speedometer is a huge difference

im just trying to understand why people who travel have no ability to dispute this locally there has to be a way to get it sorted out. Im pretty sure everyone knows not EVERY ticket is legit and getting a ticket out of town should also allow me to defend and reason.
k2a1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #32
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
But a VT isn't always issued when the driver does break the law.

An officer knows that the risk of contesting the charge is low, and we all know that revenue from traffic fines is considered to be an important income stream for the province (or state) budget.

If driving history and attitude are factors in determining whether a ticket or warning will be issued, why is it completely unreasonable to think that location plays a part too?
you'd be surprised to hear that all Traffic Violation Ticket revenue in BC goes back to municipalities to spend on public safety initiatives. Any increase in ticketing all goes back to trying to make the roads safer. The police officers aren't writing tickets just to gain revenue for the province, it's meant to help reduce collisions on the road so that your friends and family might be safer.

Last edited by gars; 08-29-2010 at 11:39 PM.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 PM   #33
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2a1314 View Post
eh sorry about the flames =\

only wanted to know why in the world would there be no system to dispute non-local tickets...

I drive a 16 year old car and have a clean record, i wouldnt expect highway patrol officers to really count me in for a $196 for going 110km/h (130 as the officer told me) on cruise on an empty highway. The 20 km difference from what i had on my speedometer is a huge difference

im just trying to understand why people who travel have no ability to dispute this locally there has to be a way to get it sorted out. Im pretty sure everyone knows not EVERY ticket is legit and getting a ticket out of town should also allow me to defend and reason.
sorry, didn't meant to just stay off topic. I have seen some courts take written letters into consideration. For example, my parents got in an accident in Washington State, and got a ridiculous ticket on top of it. The traffic court was in the same county which is closer to Oregon. My sister wrote them a letter explaining the situation, and the ticket was thrown out.

That said, I don't know if they would do the same for you. I can understand how you feel, but the system is set up like that. To go as far to think that the officer gave you a ticket because he doesn't think you would contest it is pretty ridiculous. You can try contacting the officer at his detachment though, that might help.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #34

yea.. i guess that would be the only option but not gonna bother..

just gonna head to request lower fines in the morning =\
Old 08-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #35
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
you'd be surprised to hear that all Traffic Violation Ticket revenue in BC goes back to municipalities to spend on public safety initiatives. Any increase in ticketing all goes back to trying to make the roads safer. The police officers aren't writing tickets just to gain revenue for the province, it's meant to help reduce collisions on the road so that your friends and family might be safer.
I love it. We need speeders to generate revenue to improve road safety.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #36
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2a1314 View Post
yea.. i guess that would be the only option but not gonna bother..

just gonna head to request lower fines in the morning =\
You're lucky he didn't give you a VI for having a faulty speedometer.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #37

Quote:
You're lucky he didn't give you a VI for having a faulty speedometer.

Is that really all u can say? Obviously my speedometer is not faulty and therefore i wanted to dispute. But seeing how the process will take forever its not worth it and i just wish the government has a system so things like this can be resolved. saying you're lucky this and your lucky that means absolutely nothing and u should just stop posting

'
edit: Ban annoying and dangerous HID headlamps!
http://www.petitiononline.com/banhid/petition.html

LOL 10 .