REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Where to Buy: Digital Scales (https://www.revscene.net/forums/623587-where-buy-digital-scales.html)

bcrdukes 08-30-2010 11:03 PM

Where to Buy: Digital Scales

Hey folks,

I am looking for a digital scale that measures in grams accurate to 0.1g. The scale must be small and can fit in the kitchen counter. I would like to be able to go to a local store to buy this in case I need assistance/warranty. I would prefer not to buy online.

And before you ask, I am using this to measure my coffee beans to achieve a consistant grind dosage on my espresso machine. This is not for illegal purposes. :p

Thanks! :)

TheStreetDream 09-01-2010 12:23 PM

Try walmart, i remember seeing them, or go to home depot and those type of stores, should have them.

Manic! 09-01-2010 12:41 PM

places that sell hydroponics and places that sell flavored rolling papers and bongs (head shops).

bigrig 09-01-2010 01:25 PM

the corner store on westminister hwy and No 3 rd in richmond has a nice selection of scales. as well, if u need little baggies to put ur coffee beans in them, they have those too LOL

bcrdukes 09-01-2010 02:01 PM

Thanks for the reply, guys.

I read on CoffeeGeek.com where people mentioned "head shops" but I had no idea what they were but at least now I know.

mickz 09-01-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7086604)
Hey folks,

I am looking for a digital scale that measures in grams accurate to 0.1g. The scale must be small and can fit in the kitchen counter. I would like to be able to go to a local store to buy this in case I need assistance/warranty. I would prefer not to buy online.

And before you ask, I am using this to measure my coffee beans to achieve a consistant grind dosage on my espresso machine. This is not for illegal purposes. :p

Thanks! :)

As much as I hate shopping at Cambodian Tire I am using their Starfrit Kitchen Scale: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

The regular price is $29.99 but if you're not in a real hurry to get it I got mine for $10-$15 on sale. I used to sell a lot of little things on eBay and needed to weigh packages for online shipping so it's perfect for what I needed it for.

vafanculo 09-01-2010 10:25 PM

Check out xs cargo. They had em pretty cheap that I almost bought one myself
Posted via RS Mobile

mowontech 09-02-2010 12:19 AM

amsterdam cafe. hastings and cambie

Conan O'Brien Sex Video 09-03-2010 07:50 AM

try walmart. i bought a kitchen scale from there but i chose the cheapest one. they did have nicer/fancier ones.

bcrdukes 09-03-2010 10:36 AM

Thanks for all the replies again.

I did a bit more reading and asking around and it turns out the ones sold at head shop have poor accuracy and cost way more than what I'm willing to pay. Ultimately, I had to order online from CanadianWeigh.com. I know I originally said I would prefer not to buy online but it had to come down to this. I ordered one for $20 but shipping hurt at $12. Regardless, at least I know it is backed by a good warranty and does exactly what I need it to do.

CanadaGoose 09-04-2010 05:39 PM

I wouldn't buy it from a head shop either...there's this place across and down the street a bit from Amsterdam Cafe, forgot what's it called, Hard Rock or something, anyways way overpriced, cheap quality, doubt they'd honour any warranty in house either, online was probably the best bet anyways

bcrdukes 09-04-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E N D L E S S (Post 7092117)
I wouldn't buy it from a head shop either...there's this place across and down the street a bit from Amsterdam Cafe, forgot what's it called, Hard Rock or something, anyways way overpriced, cheap quality, doubt they'd honour any warranty in house either, online was probably the best bet anyways

You're right about the scales being sold at head shops. I hope drug dealers aren't using their scales because if they are, they're seriously ripping themselves off.

My scooter mechanic bought one from a local head shop for $150 or so. Supposedly it's good for up to 2Kg and the intent of the scale was to measure the weight of rollers (for CVT transmissions) and for shipping parts etc.

His part-time job is a bioresearch lab tech @ UBC so he's used to medical grade scales. After he purchased this scale from the head shop, he would have to measure the same roller 6 times and each time showed a different weight. The only way he could get an approxmiation was to take the 6 measurements and find an average. :lol

kwanzor 09-12-2010 04:44 AM

libra scales lol

Soundy 09-12-2010 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickz (Post 7089054)
As much as I hate shopping at Cambodian Tire I am using their Starfrit Kitchen Scale: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

The regular price is $29.99 but if you're not in a real hurry to get it I got mine for $10-$15 on sale. I used to sell a lot of little things on eBay and needed to weigh packages for online shipping so it's perfect for what I needed it for.

We got this same one... $10.99 on sale. Works great. Metric resolution is only in grams (not 0.1g), but Imperial, it's .01oz