REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Passing provincial/goverment inspection?

hey guys, what items can i leave on my car to pass the inspections? I brought a 97 Supra in from the US and need to take it through inspections. The car is currently lowered on coilovers, has a 3" downpipe and a 3" HKS exhaust. It's pretty loud... it does still have the stock airbags and no check engine lights. I can raise up the coils to stock height and will install DRL's... will the inspections care about the exhaust? if so, anyone know where I can find a stock Supra exhaust?
Advertisement

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
hey guys, what items can i leave on my car to pass the inspections? I brought a 97 Supra in from the US and need to take it through inspections. The car is currently lowered on coilovers, has a 3" downpipe and a 3" HKS exhaust. It's pretty loud... it does still have the stock airbags and no check engine lights. I can raise up the coils to stock height and will install DRL's... will the inspections care about the exhaust? if so, anyone know where I can find a stock Supra exhaust?
Depends where you go. The Big O tire I went to didn't care about my aftermarket exhaust, yet I'm not running a 3" fart can. They did care my car was lowered to the point the tires were tucked into the wheel wells and had signs of rubbing, so I had to swap to my winter tires.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #3

thanks for your help. BTW it's not a 3" fart can, it's 3" piping with a 5" tip... if you were running 450WHP you'd need that too

Old 09-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

It largely depends where you go. There's this shop just up the road from me where my friend and I went and talked to the mechanic and he passed my friend on everything that Canadian tire failed her on just 1 month earlier.

She failed on exhaust, side mirror missing, rear side airbag missing, tires, and brake pads.

Like I said try to find a shady mechanic and he'll pass you. It might be a little harder on the mainland however.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #5

does anyone know of a local shop thats relatively easy to pass at? if so, please PM me the info... there's some beer in it for you as a reward

Old 09-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
thanks for your help. BTW it's not a 3" fart can, it's 3" piping with a 5" tip... if you were running 450WHP you'd need that too
You don't need a 5" tip for 3" piping
You can use 2 2" tips for 3" piping and have it look a lot less like a "fart can" with almost the same outlet area

A 5" tip is going to be harder to pass, even at the shadier shops.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
If you have passed Federal inspection already at Crappy tire, you shouldn't have problems with the provincial one.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #8

I havent done the federal one yet either. I think that one shouldnt be too hard since all they check for are the DRLs and airbags right?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #9

passed the federal this morning at canadian tire... they said that they would fail me because my car is lowered and the exhaust is louder than a stock supra.... so gotta find a shop that will pass me for provincial now

Old 09-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
fuck, a lot louder with that setup ^, lol.

I know this guy at Advanced Autoworks n Burnaby.

you have PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #11

ok let me know his info i'll go by there today

Old 09-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

hey all, Im new to Canada and revscene but im loving both. Anyhow, im in a similar situation but i have no idea how the inspections even work here. I couldnt find any government website with the laws or anything. so far i've deduced that i will need to remove my front tint, wah. From this thread i learned that there is a federal AND provincial inspection? Is there a link that will outline all this? As i crossed the border they asked about "importing" my car but i didnt have the title so they said come back in 3 weeks. when i "import" my car is that where they do the provincial inspection? i have so many questions but i will wait to see what links pop up. if this is threadjacking let me know and i will gladly start my own. thanks in advance.
95fodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #13

i can help you out... if your car is less than 15 years old, you need a federal and a provincial inspection. When you "import" the car at the canadian border, they fill out Form 1 for you, and you pay them the Duty(if your car is not made in N/A) and the 5%GST. Then you have to pay your RIV fee on the RIV website at riv.ca. you also fax or email them the Recall Clerance Letter. Then they email you a Form 2. You take the form 2 to your local Canadian Tire. They do the federal inspection there and stamp the form 2 and fax it in to RIV. then you get a letter from the RIV saying that your car has passed their program and you get a sticker in the mail. During the federal inspection, they check for DRL's and that your airbags work. you also pay $7 for a child seat anchor and $30 for a tire levy. Then you go for a provincial inspection. Your car can't be lowered, loud, have any tint on the front windows and all the brakes/tires need to be good. Once you pass your provincial inspection, you go to any Autoplan agent to get the car registered. You pay the 7% PST there... and you're all done

This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #14
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

hmm mines a 95... so exactly 15 years old? am i exempt from either of the two? cause mine is mildly lowered, pretty loud, although i have no way of measuring the decibels, and im already planning on removing the tint.. im hoping to find a cat that will fit and quiet it down and clean up any stray emissions. my tuner said it should pass with a cat..
thanks for the fast response xpl0sive

p.s. anyone have a steam cleaner i can borrow to take my tint off? you will be compensated!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #15
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
The guy who imported the 1994 WRX that I bought took the car to MF Technology in Vancouver. I'm pretty sure they passed the car knowing it had very low brake pads, bald tires, and a 3" kakimoto exhaust.
Shady, imo.
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #16

for a 95 car it would depend when the build date was. if it was before sept of 95, then you dont need federal inspection...

ps you dont need a steam cleaner to take off tint, use a hairdryer or a heat gun

Old 09-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #17
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

ok so the car was manufactured 8/94!!! which means i just need a provincial.. i tried downloading the .pdf of the most recent vehicle inspection manual (http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle_inspections.htm) but it was "damaged" and couldnt be opened... so do they still check emissions on a car this old or is it just a safety like brakes and tires and exhaust noise? will my motor swap be a problem? the only oem shit is the block and i dont have the charcoal canister hooked up...
Old 09-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #18

they don't check the emissions at the provincial inspection. they just check to see if the car is safe. emissions are checked at Aircare, and a newly imported car doesn't need aircare for the first year

Old 09-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #19
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

ohhh so aircare is what i should really be worried about. is a motor swap and aftermarket "performance" parts allowed as long as all the emissions devices are intact? whats your plan xpl0sive? ill probably have to find some full stock exhaust and get it downtuned... at least i have a year
Old 09-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #20

well my car is a 97 so it's OBDII. at aircare they dont run the OBDII cars on the rollers, they just plug the scanner in and check the ECU for any fault codes... I don't have any check engine lights so I'm good for that... as for a 95 car, you could just change your address to Victoria or somewhere up north, but then you'll run into problems if you ever have a claim with ICBC

Old 09-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #21
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

UUUUAAAAAGGGGH. got the front tint off thanks for hairdryer tip. i dont have drls but you said thats part of the federal right? not provincial... fixing to order the jdm header-back and well see after that..
Old 09-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #22

correct you only need DRL for federal

Old 09-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #23
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
the other tip for the tint is windex coz it's filled with ammonia hmmmmm

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #24
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
you need drl for both inspections. I know a shop that can do provincial inspection.
Posted via RS Mobile
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #25
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
you need drl for both inspections. I know a shop that can do provincial inspection.
Posted via RS Mobile
no, you need drl for the federal inspection, you don't NEED it for provincial.

There's tons of places that'll always pass you doin provincial, even if your car doesn't have DRL, like my car.