REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Mattress Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/624025-mattress-shopping.html)

MelonBoy 09-05-2010 12:26 PM

Mattress Shopping

Anyone know of some places for a good deal on mattress's
Iv been to Sleep Country, Brick, Random chinese place, and going to Mattress Liquidations on Venables tmr..

Also does anyone know if you can bargain price or w/e at some of these places like Sleep country?

Thanks.

BlackZRoadster 09-05-2010 12:35 PM

go to sea horse mattress, really good memory foam on one side, and stiff hard on the other, its 2 sided!

about 500 for a queen size, way cheaper than spring mattresses or full memory foam mattress

Lomac 09-05-2010 02:07 PM

Places like Sleep Country and Brick are negotiable. Bought mine at Brick while it was on sale and I still managed to negotiate the price down a bit.

Not really racist! 09-05-2010 06:45 PM

Whatever you do, don't cheap out on your mattress and get one that suits to your liking. You sleep on your bed pretty much every night and if you don't sleep well, you're gonna have a shitty shitty day.

Sleep Country if I IIRC, can drop the price a little bit but not by too much. You could try going to asian stores where prices are really negotiable and you don't have to pay tax. Just snoop around and compare prices

Spoon 09-06-2010 12:34 AM

1) Look for a mattress that you want and is on sale.
2) Bring the ad or quotation to Sleep Country.
3) They'll beat the price by 5% and provide a higher model usually since most mattress stores do not carry the same exact mattress.

When I bought my mattress, the MSRP was around 2k and we negotiated it down to around 1.7k at sleep country. Then we saw Brick having a sale. It was a lower model, thinner pillow top etc. selling for 1k. Anyways, we brought the ad back to sleep country hoping for a better bargaining position. Instead they just beat the price 5% and gave us the mattress we originally wanted to buy (we were actually prepared to pay the 1.7k too).

The surprising part was it took us 5 mins to get the price beat but well over 30mins to knock that $300 dollars off msrp. So don't waste your time negotiating, it's not worth it.

ilvtofu 09-06-2010 01:27 AM

Highly don't recommend seahorse mattresses, they make me toss and turn at night and are just one big slab of foam.
Just bought a new mattress at sleep country 2 weeks ago loving it, might've costed $600 for a full mattress with box spring but gosh i'm happy.
Went to all the usual sears, brick, ikea even, and costco. No one seems to know their mattresses quite as good as sleep country, saleswoman gave me a price match even though I didn't bring in any ad on a mattress that was on back to school sale.
She explained to me all the benefits of this mattress and why the $400 sealy set at costco was nowhere as good. Also not to mention free shipping is great too.

She explained to me how buying a "rock" from seahorse etc really isn't good for your back as it doesn't provide any real support and just puts too much pressure on the contact points which is why over the night pressure builds up which makes you roll around to relieve it. A softer surface will give you more even support and also a good mattress will have lots of support in the torso/abs area as it is the heaviest With my new pillowtop mattress I find myself waking up in the exact same spot that I remember falling asleep in and my laptop isn't moved whatsoever for those nights I fall asleep watching a movie.

On the seahorse rock I used to sleep on I found myself sleeping 9 hours and still waking up feeling like shit, I can sleep 7 hours now and feel way better. Remember this is an investment don't treat it like a piece of clothing and just look for the place that has the cheapest one. You probably spend a third or more of your life in bed so haha life's too short to sleep on a shitty bed

MelonBoy 09-06-2010 02:34 AM

Well Iv been to sleep country and found a mattress i like and is within my price range.. its about 500 (rounded).. How much do you think i can knock off this?.. I have a gift card that im buying off someone and will be able to save an addition $140 so thats win already.. but it kills me to pay for anything so expensive at sticker price XD.. lol the cheapness is raging inside me lol..

ilvtofu 09-06-2010 08:50 AM

Probably 5% and pay the non matching box spring price while getting the proper box spring

beatdownvictim 09-06-2010 11:04 AM

i suggest everyone go to RFD and read the sleep country thread

it went exactly how they said it when i went last year to buy 2 mattresses, making fake calls to their manager to get approval lol

get them to throw in everything, mattress protector, no tax, and warranty, do not be afraid to walk away as you can go to any other one

MelonBoy 09-06-2010 11:41 AM

^ I have been reading that thread
The downside to my position is that im buying a lower end.. 500ish mattress..
So obviously the mark up is lower and my bargaining margin is a lot lower then the 3000 dollar ones they talk about in the thread =p

MelonBoy 09-12-2010 12:14 AM

Anyways quick update to my purchase..

I got a 391 for 250 off craiglist.. saving me $141! wiiiin!
Went to sleep country, found a bed i liked it had a mix and match pricing
Lowering it from 700 -> 420
I decided that i didn't need the bottom boxspring because of my bed frame (guy said i wouldnt need it because i have the planks of wood between my frame) Anyways that saved me an extra 20% off
I didnt need delivery so opting out the delivery I got 50 bucks back!
After all this he rounded my bill to 300 flat + tax

Overall I had excellent service (no pressure, the guy knew what he was talking about and he gave me extra discounts I wasnt even expecting)

So I spent $250 for a $700 (sticker price)mattress and a $50 pillow.
(Overall its pretty win on my side id say.! :D)

murd0c 09-12-2010 12:35 AM

Sleep Shop is really good as well. They sell a mattress that is made locally by a company called Restwell. I was about to buy one from there and found out one of my buddy's worked at Restwell and he hooked me up with a King Size that was wrapped with bamboo, pocket coils and latex for $1000 tax's in with box springs with the retail being $3500.

Gachinto 09-12-2010 01:19 AM

My place sales Spring Air mattress by Restwell and Sealy. Cost for Sealy is higher for same quality mattress as Restwell. As mentioned do not cheap out on mattress or you WILL regret the few hundred bucks you save in your wallet and suffer on your neck and back! I got an Ikea spring mattress for $3-400 or so I forgot and I've just gave it away free, barely used. My neck and back is sore EVERYDAY and I'm spending HUNDREDS of dollars at Acupuncture and RMT to fix the pain!

Try to think about it this way: mattress has a 10 year warranty under regular use (by Restwell), now divide 3650 nights of good sleep by the the amount say $1100 for a decent pocket coil mattress with memory euro top by Sealy or Restwell. Would you rather have a crappy sleep just to save $0.30 every night?

Latex is the shit but their prices go way up! Another tip is pocket coil is not for the heavy. Memory foam is not for HOT sleepers as they are very dense.

Quacks 09-12-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelonBoy (Post 7101291)
Anyways quick update to my purchase..

I got a 391 for 250 off craiglist.. saving me $141! wiiiin!
Went to sleep country, found a bed i liked it had a mix and match pricing
Lowering it from 700 -> 420
I decided that i didn't need the bottom boxspring because of my bed frame (guy said i wouldnt need it because i have the planks of wood between my frame) Anyways that saved me an extra 20% off
I didnt need delivery so opting out the delivery I got 50 bucks back!
After all this he rounded my bill to 300 flat + tax

Overall I had excellent service (no pressure, the guy knew what he was talking about and he gave me extra discounts I wasnt even expecting)

So I spent $250 for a $700 (sticker price)mattress and a $50 pillow.
(Overall its pretty win on my side id say.! :D)

Which Sleep Country did you go to?

Gachinto 09-12-2010 09:15 PM

Just to give you some views from another perspective. I came across a CUSTOM Latex mattress place that locates in North Van. They would check all your pressure points and customize pieces of latex of different firmness to make your mattress perfect for your body. Mattress plus years of customization warranty plus some solid wood bed frame and all cost you $2000. That will probably be the best possible sleep you will EVER get!

z-33 09-13-2010 02:00 AM

hey guys i just bought a simmons beautyrest hudson classic for 800. long story short retail is about 1200 i think for the bed. got the guy at sleep country to go 899 with taxes included. went to sears got a quote on a similar mattress for 860 and in the end i got it for 800 because they beat it by 5%. u can definently negotiate the price. dont be afraid to ask, and just tell them straight up whats the lowest price they can give you and theyll be up front with you because they want their commission, and if u think they can still go lower just throw in the "im goign to look around" and if they dont go lower at that point just come back the next day and buy it.

MelonBoy 09-13-2010 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacks (Post 7101643)
Which Sleep Country did you go to?

Metro.

Also my math didnt add up i think he took off 20 instead of 50 lol for shipping.
:p

vl_86 09-13-2010 11:57 AM

MelonBoy do you have the name of the sales representative you dealt with? seems like a good guy

I wanted to buy a mattress from sleep country in metro and there was this asian guy who seemed like he was trying to give me the run around, saying that the sale ends on the 28th but their not taking any more orders after the 18th, so it was until supplies last

MelonBoy 09-13-2010 12:54 PM

Marks Tan.

vl_86 09-13-2010 02:24 PM

Weird... that was the same guy i talked to hahah, maybe ill shop around at different sleep countries and see if i can get a better deal

MelonBoy 09-13-2010 02:51 PM

lol.. weird indeed, when i went in with my gf he was really casual and not up tight at all lol... All he really did was greet us, ask if we needed help (we told him not yet), he didnt come back till we kinda waved him down, asked him a few questions about the beds, he gave me a good general idea of how things are and how the beds are set on the floor.. (ex. soft medium hard, but all 3 are the same bed) didnt say anything about the deals or pricing.. Other then when i compared my mattress (700) to one thats (1000) he said the 1000 one is this type of memory form blah blah and kinda explained why its more expensive.. but then left on a note that more expensive isnt better it depends on how you feel. XD

murd0c 09-13-2010 04:05 PM

if you guys to plan on getting a new mattress make sure you go end of the month. they work on commission and you will get a way better deal out of them if you do go end of the month. Same thing with buying a car from the dealership.

Mr.HappySilp 09-13-2010 04:35 PM

Got my bed and matress at sleep shop a year ago. Is pretty good so far. and yes you can bargin for a lower price.