REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:39 AM   #126
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
you cant really tell if it was the blade... it could be the shaft losing it's kick and flex point. also, the blade may be the first thing for the macdaddys to go, but does it mean it is not durable? how long did each macdaddy last? if the blade breaks, and the stick lasted for 3-4 months i would still say it lasted a decent amount of time.. the nature of the sport can cause sticks to last anywhere from 1 game to 20 games.. but the important thing is how they break..

but all in all, the bauer one95 is def the most durable stick i have used and it is the best performing one at that... i think that, we all agree on! well most of us.
When I lean on the stick from the top, you can see the blade bend a lot more when I compared it to a newer Macdaddy. I believe that is why they went with the splyne blade on the newer sticks.
I was getting close to 3 months on each stick, so you are right about that.

Last game, during warmup, I noticed one of my One95's is starting to go. Snap and slap shots were starting to feel weird. Switched to my other stick and the shots were back to normal again.
Guess it is time to make a trip down to SE to look at some pro-stocks.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #127
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Have any of you guys used Montreal sticks before?
Posted via RS Mobile
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #128
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Yes, I like whippy sticks. I do have a one85 stick. Dunno how well it is, since I don't use it much. But I seem to like shafts better than ops. But I was under the impression pro-stocks are stiffer? I dunno.
Posted via RS Mobile
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #129

Just picked up a Total ONE OPS today. It's pretty sick but I wasn't a fan of the stick'um grip on the corners of the ONE95, so I'm not really liking the textured grip on the corners of the Total ONE.

Bought another ONE95 as well. After using my BASE stick, with a softer blade, I'll see if it's a quick transition back to Bauer and their more rigid blades.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #130
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

^
had enough of the BASE already?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #131

I don't have any plans to stop using the BASE but it's hard to turn down a real Total ONE (not a painted ONE95) for less than $100.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #132
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
I don't have any plans to stop using the BASE but it's hard to turn down a real Total ONE (not a painted ONE95) for less than $100.
wtf? where did you get this deal? and if you can get more i wantttt!!!!
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #133

Helps to know the people who do the logistics for the Canucks equipment

There's no more RH Total ONE sticks available, they have a ton of Sedin sticks (for $200 however) but judging by the carbon fibre weaves and the info on the name plate, they're painted ONE95 sticks. Guess they're trying to dump all their old sticks to make way for their real Total ONEs.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #134
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Where do you work? Your info seems pretty good
I work at the Sportchek/Hockey Experts in Richmond Center.
Just goes to prove that you don't need to go to an independent shop to find knowledageable staff.
The Hockey Expert in Sportchek Richmond opens this Friday
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #135

Oh yeah...I heard about that hockey experts thing opening in sport cheks now. Isn't there only 2 of them opening in the lower mainland, the other being park royal or something? Wish it opened 6 yrs ago when my ex was working at sport chek....oh wait...she still is...
Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #136
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Just goes to prove that you don't need to go to an independent shop to find knowledageable staff.
Posted via RS Mobile
+1 for Hockey Experts in Richmond Center.
I always avoided SportChek for anything hockey related but when they had their friends and family sale I couldn't say no to 25% off new One100 skates.
The guy who helped me (could have been you Skiiipi) was super helpful and knowledgable. Got me all fitted up and explained a lot about difference between certain high end skates, super feet, and the newer FBV sharpenings.

Hockey Experts won me over, although I would live to support smaller local hockey shops, it's hard to beat the deals large chains can offer on big ticket items.
Posted via RS Mobile
Wilso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso09 View Post
+1 for Hockey Experts in Richmond Center.
I always avoided SportChek for anything hockey related but when they had their friends and family sale I couldn't say no to 25% off new One100 skates.
The guy who helped me (could have been you Skiiipi) was super helpful and knowledgable. Got me all fitted up and explained a lot about difference between certain high end skates, super feet, and the newer FBV sharpenings.

Hockey Experts won me over, although I would live to support smaller local hockey shops, it's hard to beat the deals large chains can offer on big ticket items.
Posted via RS Mobile
haha probably wasnt me who helped you, i personally didnt sell any One100 during friends/family days, but we do have a few very knowledgeable people who will be working hockey experts.

Please come check out the newly renovated Hockey Expert Concept shop in Richmond Center after Friday, we are 1 of 3 Hockey Expert in BC, and the largest one at 3500 sqft.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Oh yeah...I heard about that hockey experts thing opening in sport cheks now. Isn't there only 2 of them opening in the lower mainland, the other being park royal or something? Wish it opened 6 yrs ago when my ex was working at sport chek....oh wait...she still is...
haha who is your ex? and she works at the Richmond Location?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #139

Quote:
haha who is your ex? and she works at the Richmond Location?
No, she works at Pacific Center and she's been there since 01/02. I know the manager there and I play on the same team with the manager of the Lougheed location.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #140
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
sport chek....now with people who know stuff about hockey?

Please come to Maple Ridge...
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #141
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso09 View Post
they had their friends and family sale I couldn't say no to 25% off new One100 skates.
Posted via RS Mobile
what? Sportchek/hockey experts has one100 skates?
and 25% off....I WANT!
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #142

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
Not sure if you could say that about all Sportcheks though. From all my previous experiences it's been a kid who has never strapped on a pair of skates before trying to sell me something they knew nothing about. You might find the occasional employee that actually knows what they're talking about, like one time I was looking for a tennis racket but I guess Sportchek is getting there.

What changes will be made when Hockey Experts opens? You guys going to have a RapidShot system?
Old 10-28-2010, 04:37 AM   #143
RS Veteran

well, NOW, you don't need to go to independent shops.. before hockey experts entered sport chek, they were a joke, sorry to say.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:02 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Not sure if you could say that about all Sportcheks though. From all my previous experiences it's been a kid who has never strapped on a pair of skates before trying to sell me something they knew nothing about. You might find the occasional employee that actually knows what they're talking about, like one time I was looking for a tennis racket but I guess Sportchek is getting there.

What changes will be made when Hockey Experts opens? You guys going to have a RapidShot system?
Unfortunately we don't have the space for a Rapidshot system, our standalone stores have that in Quebec and Alberta, being a concept shop within a sportchek space is limited.
As for what changes, we will have dedicated hockey staff working hockey expert. Larger assortment of product not normally found in a sportchek. Ability to special order anything from all major brands (no Graf).
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-28-2010, 06:08 AM   #145

Quote:
well, NOW, you don't need to go to independent shops.. before hockey experts entered sport chek, they were a joke, sorry to say.
We are definately trying to improve our brand image with the launch of hockey expert. But staff knowledge wise....it all depends on who you speak to. Every sporting good store will have staff who are more knowledgeable than others. I've been with this company for 8 years, and worked in 3 different locations, and the level of training that we provide our staff has gotten better and better every year. It may still be a few years away before we are at the level of say The Hockey Shop, or Ice Levels, but we are getting there.

The training regiment for a hockey expert staff is 8 weeks long, with nothing but product knowledge, and for certain staff, on ice demos of products.
and we only hire staff with lots of hockey experiance and background so they can actually relate to all the technology.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #146
RS Veteran

Quote:
We are definately trying to improve our brand image with the launch of hockey expert. But staff knowledge wise....it all depends on who you speak to. Every sporting good store will have staff who are more knowledgeable than others. I've been with this company for 8 years, and worked in 3 different locations, and the level of training that we provide our staff has gotten better and better every year. It may still be a few years away before we are at the level of say The Hockey Shop, or Ice Levels, but we are getting there.

The training regiment for a hockey expert staff is 8 weeks long, with nothing but product knowledge, and for certain staff, on ice demos of products.
and we only hire staff with lots of hockey experiance and background so they can actually relate to all the technology.
Posted via RS Mobile
you are right. also, with the low-mid level gear sport chek had for the longest time, they weren't going to really attract workers that knew and played a lot of hockey. Those guys would probably a) want discount of higher end stuff that places liek cyclone has and/or b) they wouldn't feel comfortable raving about a pair of one40s, lol.

anyways, it is good to see sport chek carry higher end stuff now. i am going to drop into the richmond location next week to take a look. the prices are still kind of on the steep side for some things though, unless on sale on the weekly flyer.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #147

Quote:
you are right. also, with the low-mid level gear sport chek had for the longest time, they weren't going to really attract workers that knew and played a lot of hockey. Those guys would probably a) want discount of higher end stuff that places liek cyclone has and/or b) they wouldn't feel comfortable raving about a pair of one40s, lol.

anyways, it is good to see sport chek carry higher end stuff now. i am going to drop into the richmond location next week to take a look. the prices are still kind of on the steep side for some things though, unless on sale on the weekly flyer.
Pricing for the "premium" gear is set by the vendor, not us, so we can't lower the price of say X60 or One100 on a regular basis. (Friends and Family being the only time). The pricing advantage we will have would be the "buy outs" and volume discounts we get on older model. For example we just received a large quantity of the old 9K skate which we will probably blow out for cheap. In addition we have S11 sticks this week for $60 (regular retail $120). That's where we will excel in pricing.

We will also do our best to price match all local competition. (Cannot match online for obvious reasons)
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #148
RS Veteran

Quote:
Pricing for the "premium" gear is set by the vendor, not us, so we can't lower the price of say X60 or One100 on a regular basis. (Friends and Family being the only time). The pricing advantage we will have would be the "buy outs" and volume discounts we get on older model. For example we just received a large quantity of the old 9K skate which we will probably blow out for cheap. In addition we have S11 sticks this week for $60 (regular retail $120). That's where we will excel in pricing.

We will also do our best to price match all local competition. (Cannot match online for obvious reasons)
Posted via RS Mobile
thanks for the info.

how does the warranty work with the sticks?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #149

All of our stick comes with a 30 day manufacture's warrenty, including pro stock. All warrenty are dealt strictly with the manufacture with the exception of warrior and vic which we handle in house with a one time replacement within the 30 day period
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #150

It's guys like this that make me tell all my friends starting out to stay the fuck away from Hockey Experts. I only shop at Sportchek when it's on sale and I already know what I want so I just buy it and get out.