REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #151
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R17wHMMYIg

It's guys like this that make me tell all my friends starting out to stay the fuck away from Hockey Experts. I only shop at Sportchek when it's on sale and I already know what I want so I just buy it and get out.
Haha, that guy is a joke!

"ccm has "lace-lock" which bumps up the price of their skates".

Haha, I'm sure the "lace-lock" feature is the main contributing factor to why the skate cost 400+!
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Wilso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #152
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:

It's guys like this that make me tell all my friends starting out to stay the fuck away from Hockey Experts. I only shop at Sportchek when it's on sale and I already know what I want so I just buy it and get out.
he's not so much an idiot more just nervous as shit lol
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #153
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:

I have to agree that he probably isn't the best person for an interview, that being said, please do not "blanket" us based on one person, come in and see for your self whether or not we have the "right" staff for a hockey shop.
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #154
RS Veteran

if you know your stuff, you're gold. if you don't you will learn.. eventually.. the internet /modsquadhockey and other sites are very informative.. ie. youtubes product reviews as well

a lot of people say that there isn't a big diff between 200 and 800 dollar skates.. well.. imo i think there is. i am very aware of my body when i am exercises and playing sports, so i feel everything.. skates being a bit stiffer... tongue being thicker etc.. i personally like very stiff skates with a thick tongue.. you arent going to get stiff skates when they are made out of plastic (lower end). not everybody needs to get the high end stuff, but for me, i personally think it is worth the money since i play hockey about 2 times a week and want to perform my best. i totally respect people who play for fun and just want equipment that will alst them a couple years.

for example, if i were to get a tennsi racquet i would get a mid level one.. i play for fun and not seriously passionate about it, so i do not need a replica of nadals racquet.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #155
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
he's not so much an idiot more just nervous as shit lol
It doesn't have anything to do with being nervous, he simply doesn't know what he's talking about.

He doesn't sound like he's actually played minor hockey contrary to what he claims based on the fact mouth guards aren't a requirement for minor hockey in Canada ("Juvi" is another story.) He also says wrist guards are a required add-on, yeah right. Skates don't cost over $800, especially not the ones they sell, not unless you're getting customs or Total ONE.

The steel on high end skates definitely aren't harder to break. The steel on the original LightSpeed and LS2 Power holders on Bauer's top end models kept snapping when they first came out. The employee being interviewed explains Vapor skates are expensive because they have Tuuk holders... I can go to Canadian Tire and get a low end pair of Vapors with Tuuks and they're definitely not expensive.

And leather skates have no support? Err.... Graf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
I have to agree that he probably isn't the best person for an interview, that being said, please do not "blanket" us based on one person, come in and see for your self whether or not we have the "right" staff for a hockey shop.
Posted via RS Mobile
Definitely not saying all Sportchek employees are the same. I'm sure there's a few knowledgeable employees here and there but the guy in the video pretty much summed up a typical employee I'd encounter when I shopped in the hockey section at Sportchek in the past. When I was shopping for cages back in minor hockey I asked them what were the differences between a black Itech RBE III and the chrome one. The only answer he could come up with was "It's better."

I'm sure it's changed a bit since then especially with Sportchek carrying higher end equipment. I stopped by Park Royal today and looked around the Hockey Experts section there. They have a pretty good selection but it would've been nice if they had an area where you could try out some sticks and shoot a couple pucks like they do with the golf equipment.

Just get people to pay like $20 or what not up front in exchange for a $20 voucher used towards the purchase of a stick and a few minutes of shooting. Making people pay up front will weed out all the idiots who just want to kick tires and dick around breaking stuff.

Last edited by mickz; 10-28-2010 at 08:35 PM.
mickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #156
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
The Rapidshot System is found in our standalone HX stores which we do not yet have yet in BC.
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #157
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso09 View Post
+1 for Hockey Experts in Richmond Center.
I always avoided SportChek for anything hockey related but when they had their friends and family sale I couldn't say no to 25% off new One100 skates.
The guy who helped me (could have been you Skiiipi) was super helpful and knowledgable. Got me all fitted up and explained a lot about difference between certain high end skates, super feet, and the newer FBV sharpenings.

Hockey Experts won me over, although I would live to support smaller local hockey shops, it's hard to beat the deals large chains can offer on big ticket items.
Posted via RS Mobile
Are you friends with Ray? Were you there with a few other guys checking out other gear? If it was then i helped you. Otherwise, its the other Hockey Ex guy, haha
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidPenguin View Post
Are you friends with Ray? Were you there with a few other guys checking out other gear? If it was then i helped you. Otherwise, its the other Hockey Ex guy, haha
No, I just came in by myself, pretty much knew I wanted the one100's since I tried them on before, buy I tried the x60's aswell just to compare.

Bought the one100's w/ superfeet and tried the FBV sharpening (which I would recommend people to try if they haven't already, great bite and glide!)
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-29-2010, 12:43 AM   #159

Quote:
No, I just came in by myself, pretty much knew I wanted the one100's since I tried them on before, buy I tried the x60's aswell just to compare.

Bought the one100's w/ superfeet and tried the FBV sharpening (which I would recommend people to try if they haven't already, great bite and glide!)
Posted via RS Mobile
Then it was the other guy. Short japanese dood?

How are you liking your One100's? I just got a pair myself, skated on them about 4 times
Old 10-29-2010, 04:58 AM   #160

Quote:
Then it was the other guy. Short japanese dood?

How are you liking your One100's? I just got a pair myself, skated on them about 4 times
Yeah, it was a Japanese guy who helped me out. Nice guy, spent a lot of time to fit the skates. I think I came in right when he was about to take his break, so it was nice that he still took all the steps needed to do things right rather than rush the process and GTFO.

The 100's are awesome! Used them for maybe 6-7 sessions now so really starting to get used to them. I'm coming from very used grafs that have become fairly soft so the 100's seemed HELLA stiff frat few times I used them.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-29-2010, 05:18 AM   #161

Double post...
Old 10-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #162
RS Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, it was a Japanese guy who helped me out. Nice guy, spent a lot of time to fit the skates. I think I came in right when he was about to take his break, so it was nice that he still took all the steps needed to do things right rather than rush the process and GTFO.

The 100's are awesome! Used them for maybe 6-7 sessions now so really starting to get used to them. I'm coming from very used grafs that have become fairly soft so the 100's seemed HELLA stiff frat few times I used them.
Posted via RS Mobile
yah, took me about the same amount of outtings to get used to my one100s. i love the thick tongue...
Old 10-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
yah, took me about the same amount of outtings to get used to my one100s. i love the thick tongue...
The felt tongue is great! I had Graf felt tongues in mine before so it's a familiar comfort. Guy at the hockeyshop says a lot if people who bought the TotalOne's come back in to change their tongue to the felt one100 one.

Anyways, getting back on semi-topic about sticks...

I was wondering if all the stick whores on here actually dish out the $150-200+ retail for the high end sticks they would like to "try out". I know people who work at sport check can use their staff discount on their sticks, but does everyone else try to get connections here and there?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #164
RS Veteran

Quote:
The felt tongue is great! I had Graf felt tongues in mine before so it's a familiar comfort. Guy at the hockeyshop says a lot if people who bought the TotalOne's come back in to change their tongue to the felt one100 one.

Anyways, getting back on semi-topic about sticks...

I was wondering if all the stick whores on here actually dish out the $150-200+ retail for the high end sticks they would like to "try out". I know people who work at sport check can use their staff discount on their sticks, but does everyone else try to get connections here and there?
Posted via RS Mobile
to me, 150 for a high end stick is "cheap" i would never spend more than 150 before taxes though. .. i basically either try to find a deal on last years high end sticks... or even 2 years ago.. or get the pro stocks from sports exchange.

however, i am in the process of trying out a base stick.. they have the new bc01 (hossa pro) clone.. . and their prices are very reasonable.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #165
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
All my Macdaddy's were on clearance for $130 or $150, a few years ago.
The S17 was on clearance from SE for $150.
My current One95's were from a group buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #166
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
The felt tongue is great! I had Graf felt tongues in mine before so it's a familiar comfort. Guy at the hockeyshop says a lot if people who bought the TotalOne's come back in to change their tongue to the felt one100 one.Posted via RS Mobile
My 9K's came with the thin tongues. First thing i did was get the felt RBK tonges.

The thicker tongers do a lot to prevent lace burn and for me, makes the skates fit better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #167

Quote:
Well thats kinda dumb. Cause the two skates are basically the same except for the tongue and the runner. Shoulda just bought the One100's to begin with. And switch to FusionRunners for $150 later if you really wanna save 40grams total
Old 10-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #168
RS Veteran

Quote:
Well thats kinda dumb. Cause the two skates are basically the same except for the tongue and the runner. Shoulda just bought the One100's to begin with. And switch to FusionRunners for $150 later if you really wanna save 40grams total
actually they're not the same.. the tongue, runner, eyelet height, height of the boot itself are all different...

is it worth the extra... 200 bucks? no.. not imo. for me, if equipment has too many "addons" or "accessories" it kinda gets hokey.. i dont want an interchangeable tongue, nor do i want pumps on my skates... (rbk). that is why i almost always buy prostocks.. even with gloves.. i want nash palms not some dri fit synthetic crap
Old 11-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #169

So, question...should I try INT OPS/shafts? I generally have to use the most flexible SR sticks I can find and then cut them down to size, which of course stiffens the stick back up. Is it worth a shot to try them out? I'm 5'5, 145lbs so I'm not big by any means. I generally play defense and I do quite a bit of slap shots but I'd also like to be able to flex my stick enough to have a decent wrist shot (which badly sucks). Whats the stiffest for INT sticks, 75flex?
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #170

Yeah 75 Flex is the stiffest you can get in a INT.

Depends on how much you cut the stick down. Say you pick up a 65/67 flex and have to cut it down to the 85/87+ flex you should be good.

A lot of my friends are using whippy flexes and shoot rockets with them. So it doesn't hurt to give it a shot.
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #171

Don't think I need to cut it down too much, I checked out an INT stick the other day and it came up to the bridge of my nose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nammerboi3 View Post
Say you pick up a 65/67 flex and have to cut it down to the 85/87+ flex you should be good.
85flex INT and 85flex SR isn't the same?
Old 11-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Don't think I need to cut it down too much, I checked out an INT stick the other day and it came up to the bridge of my nose.

85flex INT and 85flex SR isn't the same?
I think what he meant was if you get an INT(65/67 uncut) stick and cut it down to 85. But if you got a SNR(85/87 uncut) and cut it down the same length it could be about 95-100 flex
Old 11-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #173
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
when does sports exchange have pro stock sticks available?
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #174

Quote:
I think what he meant was if you get an INT(65/67 uncut) stick and cut it down to 85. But if you got a SNR(85/87 uncut) and cut it down the same length it could be about 95-100 flex
I understood what he mean't. I have flexed a noncut 87flex SR stick before and it's too stiff for me. Which is why I asked if an INT cut down stick to 87flex to a uncut SR 87 is the same. (well, maybe not in so many words)
Old 11-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #175

Thanked 2,584 Times in 610 Posts
I've heard a few people say the kickpoint areas are placed differently, therefore affecting the flex of SR vs INT, even with the same flex. I know I have a 52 flex JR stick from before, and it was way stiffer than listed. But don't take my word for it.

Also check out shafts from Harrow, they are longer than the other companies so it won't be as stiff when you cut.