REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Failed Aircare... Again

Need some help on getting a car to pass Aircare... 1994 Altima with the KA24

Car had sat for the past year but has been on the road for a couple months now. Plugs, wires, rotor, cap, oil, fuel filter, air filter and 02 sensor all replaced. MAF cleaned and crankshaft/injectors have been seafoamed in the last 10k kms.

Onto the results. 3 tries total thusfar.

1st - with old gas and old oil...

HC (0.5000 allowed), 0.8839 FAIL
CO (9.3200 allowed), 8.9307 PASS
NOx (1.2400 allowed), 2.7817 FAIL

2nd - fresh oil, threw 94 in and went for a nice drive prior

HC: 0.7599 FAIL
CO: 3.1625 PASS
NOx: 2.9780 FAIL

3rd - ran back on Chevron 87, 3:2 ratio of methyl hydrate, redlined the car all the way to the Aircare center, got the cat all nice and toasty

HC: 0.7200 FAIL
CO: 2.4968 PASS
NOx: 3.1731 FAIL

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the culprit here?

Judging by the high numbers and the failure in HC and NOx, I'm thinking it's the cat. It's a 2.5" Magnaflow high flo cat which I now realize is useless for actual emissions reduction. Also any leads on where to not have to spend $250 for an OEM equivalent would be nice (Lordco).
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

i have a Walker Cat i used to get my RB25 240 through aircare. Passed first time with amazing numbers.

I had a KA24 so my emissions are set for a KA. These were my numbers:

Im renting it out for $25 if your interested. Its a 3" tho so i dont know if it will fit. P'M me for more information if your interested.

If you fail, i will refund your $25.
BigDaddyYumYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Does a KA24 have an EGR? That's a big culprit of NOX, especially since yours doubles the amount allowable.
Just double check that it's operating properly

And then look at that cat. You're right high flow cats do shit for emissions. lol.
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyYumYum View Post
i have a Walker Cat i used to get my RB25 240 through aircare. Passed first time with amazing numbers.

I had a KA24 so my emissions are set for a KA. These were my numbers:

Im renting it out for $25 if your interested. Its a 3" tho so i dont know if it will fit. P'M me for more information if your interested.

If you fail, i will refund your $25.
Holy, your engine is fucking clean burning!
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
hole in the downpipe, cover with tbolt clamps and cut up can.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I have hear that guys have failed at the burnaby locations and then passed with flying colors at others....maybe try another location?
Triballurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triballurker View Post
I have hear that guys have failed at the burnaby locations and then passed with flying colors at others....maybe try another location?
The only reason why that method might work is because you're spending less time driving to the Burnaby location as opposed to one in, say, Langley. More time driving, especially on the highway, means a hotter and more efficient running engine once you've hit a location farther away.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyYumYum View Post
i have a Walker Cat i used to get my RB25 240 through aircare. Passed first time with amazing numbers. Im renting it out for $25 if your interested. Its a 3" tho so i dont know if it will fit. P'M me for more information if your interested.
Thanks for the offer of the cat but it needs to be welded on... So, might damage it a tad...

Any leads on where you got it from and how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor09 View Post
Does a KA24 have an EGR? That's a big culprit of NOX, especially since yours doubles the amount allowable.
Just double check that it's operating properly
As far as the EGR goes, I have checked the diaphragm but honestly, that's as far as my checking went. Any ideas on how to check it further? Lots of little hoses and spots to get it clogged up it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triballurker View Post
I've been to Vancouver and Abbotsford locations already, Abby being the 3rd attempt with not much improvement in the results.

I'm still leaning towards the cat but I'd rather get a second opinion before I drop $300 and possibly fail again.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
Thanks for the offer of the cat but it needs to be welded on... So, might damage it a tad...

Any leads on where you got it from and how much?

As far as the EGR goes, I have checked the diaphragm but honestly, that's as far as my checking went. Any ideas on how to check it further? Lots of little hoses and spots to get it clogged up it seems.

I've been to Vancouver and Abbotsford locations already, Abby being the 3rd attempt with not much improvement in the results.

I'm still leaning towards the cat but I'd rather get a second opinion before I drop $300 and possibly fail again.
go visit my mechanic in richmond, everytime i fail like no tomorrow, he guarantees a pass and hasnt let me down. Go gets my 30 year old datsun with no cat through every time, very reasonable price too. Tell him Jackson sent you.

Ara (ah-rah) 604-276-0223
Old 09-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #10

Alright, did a quick check of my EGR system and the diaphragm isn't stuck which is good. The engine stalled when I pushed the diaphragm up and there are no CELs.

Only thing is that when I rev the motor to 2-3000 RPM, the diaphragm doesn't move. I'm thinking it maybe a problem with the solenoid?

Anyone have a multi-meter and/or a vacuum pump they could lend?